Has anyone upgraded the microphone, mine sounds terrible

ToyotaSupra

Reaction score
Country
Bulgaria
Dash Cam
A119mini2
Most of the time I use the camera in my very noisy car, the video are unwatchable at times because it's irritating how awful the mic sounds. Anyone upgraded the mic ?

If so, the mike is the size of a a 357/LR 44 battery and that is all the space there is inside the cam!

Yes, my camera is Yi.
If the space is limited then how does GoPro have a nicer quality in a such a space? ;)
I am willing to use external microphone if needed. The videos are just **** otherwise.
I have a feeling Xiaomi just had a bag of cheap mics and they used them on our cameras.

Then tell me what to buy to replace the cheap stuff used on my cam. :D

Yes, my camera is Yi.
If the space is limited then how does GoPro have a nicer quality in a such a space? ;)
I am willing to use external microphone if needed. The videos are just **** otherwise.
I have a feeling Xiaomi just had a bag of cheap mics and they used them on our cameras.
Available on the web is a disassembly of a Hero 3 or 3+ and the British man shows the speaker assy.which is huge by Yi std .The plastic top of case also has a large area with many holes.That is how their mike is better!

I am working on a method of wiring an ext. mike using a non standard attachment of wire connection which will keep the waterproof integrity of the case! There is a tiny space allowance inside the case that I will make use of.
When done I will share it in pictures!

Then tell me what to buy to replace the cheap stuff used on my cam. :D
A member of dashcamtalk posted a video for a re work .where the Yi mike is removed and a 3.5 mm adapter cable is soldered to the circuit board and routed through the Yi cam housing!

I am working on a method of wiring an ext. mike using a non standard attachment of wire connection which will keep the waterproof integrity of the case! There is a tiny space allowance inside the case that I will make use of.
When done I will share it in pictures!
Please do that! Don't forget! :D

Please do that! Don't forget! :D
Westsenkovec:
Iwanted better sound like Gopro's. Only an external mike will do.I also wanted to eliminate bubble sound while diving.I have already removed the factory mike and run those tiny gauge wires outside the case. I exited the case at the position of the mike placement . I found there is just enough clearance when the Yi is installed in the diving case for a Jr RC male plug to nestle between the door and the camera back. I have ordered a cheap Chinese mike and you know how slow the mail is. When I complete this project I will post pictures! Don't forget a wrist static strap to protect the electronics. Later!P.S.: I put a knot inside the cam case to keep from pulling on the solder connections!

Most of the time I use the camera in my very noisy car, the video are unwatchable at times because it's irritating how awful the mic sounds. Anyone upgraded the mic ?
I have the mike wired outside the Yi's case while I wait to complete the mod, there isn't a great deal of difference in quality. I will be happy to finish!

Back