Hatchback rear facing camera installation

jeuda

Reaction score
Country
Singapore
Dash Cam
70mai Pro w GPS(front), 70mai Pro (rear)
I am looking forward to install a rear facing camera for my honda fit. Anyone attempted that? Would appreciate if you can share.

Do you mean rear mounted to record vehicles behind you, or front mounted to record you & your passengers?

I am looking forward to install a rear facing camera for my honda fit. Anyone attempted that? Would appreciate if you can share.
I am reading this as you are trying to install a rear facing camera in a Honda Fit. I'm not really sure what you are asking though.

I had to Google a Fit to get a look, but does not seem like a big deal. I have seen DashCams installed in peoples pickup trucks which is completely flat rear glass. In this case you just want to sit the front of the camera almost against the glass with they did with no issue.

In a Firebird or Camaro which has a curved rear hatch glass area you want to get it high up in the middle and away from the glass so you do not shoot the sky when the hatch is closed. I am assuming a car like a Corvette where only the curved rear glass opens is the same way, but I don't know exactly how a Fit works.

The aiming may be a little trial and error depending on how your hatch area works a remote aim camera like the WF1 makes it easy though.

I have one on order to install one in mine (GD3). I'd like to put it beside the brake light, but haven't decided where to run power yet.

Do you mean rear mounted to record vehicles behind you, or front mounted to record you & your passengers?

Yes, to rear mount and record vehicles behind the car.

I have one on order to install one in mine (GD3). I'd like to put it beside the brake light, but haven't decided where to run power yet.

Drawing power is one major consideration. And glass panel that we are mounting on is constantly being slammed when you closed the boot.

Yes, to rear mount and record vehicles behind the car.

I suggest the smallest possible camera, to minimise the obstruction of your view through the rear screen. The Mobius fits the requirement nicely...

CIMG6227.JPG

Review... http://www.techmoan.com/blog/2013/7...e-do-it-all-mount-anywhere-1080p-micro-c.html

The sweep of the rear wiper will partly dictate the mounting location... no point mounting it where the rear screen will be permanently dirty.

If possible, the camera should not be mounted on the hatchback door, but on the doorframe or within the rear light assembly, e.g...

http://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/mobius-diy-built-in-into-rear-centre-brake-light.2372/

The rear centre brake light is doubtless part of the Fit's hatchback door, so not a good location with the shocks to the camera from repeated hatchback door-slamming.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks guys, where can I get a real Mobius on ebay? Any recommendation?

08.jpg

Looking where I can mount the Mobius with being affected the hatchback door slamming would be on the ceiling itself.

You are advised to only buy your Mobius from a developer-verified source. The following web stores have been verified by the developer as selling the real Mobius camera, replacement parts and accessories with a commitment to customer satisfaction, both before and after a sale, if any problems are found when the hardware is put into service and not caused by user abuse, crash damage, etc. If parts are not listed on their sites, use their web site email contact link to request what you need. They will respond promptly with information of how to buy them. They all use direct PayPal payment. The China eBay sellers work directly with the developer and will usually have the lowest delivered prices. The other re-sellers may offer quicker delivery depending on your location.

Direct Sellers:

China: eletoponline365; digitalele889

Re-sellers:

China: Banggood; HobbyKing (Hong Kong)

U.S.: novotm (MA); Massive RC (FL); SPYTEC (NY); ReadyMadeRC (OH)

Europe:
Webbex (U.K.); JooVuu (U.K.); Mobius-Cam.com (NL); Revotech (CZ)

Prices can vary from one vendor to the other and depends on what is included in different accessory packages. The cost from the China eBay outlets will be nominally about $70 US with free shipping.

Non-verified sellers may be selling fake imitation cameras at seemingly bargain prices, and you should be wary of buying from them.

Looking where I can mount the Mobius with being affected the hatchback door slamming would be on the ceiling itself.

There is a pair of plastic clips holding on the headliner to either side of the brake light. I may try tapping the hole on the right, as that area is covered by the rear wiper. In that case I would likely run the USB cable down the D pillar and put the 5V supply behind the taillight access panel.

SAA2E00J26200031201KDAD04.png

Part 1.

As I considered above, I tapped the hole to bolt on a metal strip to hold the camera. 5/16″ (or 8mm for metric folks) works. There's enough depth for a 3/4″ (20mm) bolt, which is what I happened to have on hand, but 1/2″ would be fine. What goes on the other end of course depends on your camera. Distance from the hole to the glass is approximately 5″.

(Note: the headliner damage is from transporting large objects in the past, not this installation, but if you are fastidious about your car you might want to seek professional help.)

4219.jpg 4216.jpg

The yellow scrawl shows the approximate path of the USB power cable. Removing the screw indicated by the green arrow permits the back edge of the D pillar plastic to be pulled away enough to route the cable; in that area, follow the path of the existing wiring down to the taillight area.

4217.jpg4218.jpg
Next: running accessory power to the taillight area.

Part 2

I ran the 12V under the side plastic, after pulling the two marked clips, starting by pushing it under at the right and then reaching down the taillight access to it.

4220.jpg

Then under the carpet (which is held on by velcro), down to avoid the seat hinges, and then forward at the hump to the center console. For that last part I used a fish tape; the carpet could be pulled up further, but it would be more work to get it back in place.

4222.jpg
4223.jpg

One reason for running it that way is that I also wanted to add a 12V socket at the back of the console for rear passengers.

4224.jpg

The cable is spliced in alongside the 12V socket at the front.
4226.jpg

There might be a Part 3.

Part 3.

The other reason I had for going up to the console (which is easy — two screws at the back, and two clips at the front, which break) was to move the 5V supplies for my front camera and GPS into the space above the glove box, to clean up a mess of loose cables.

4234.jpg

So this is the end result.

4237.jpg

Back