Have a lengthy set of requirements... does anything fit?

semantics

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi, thanks for your help.

Here's what I'm looking for:

- front and rear camera. If I'm going to record, it really doesn't make any sense to only do the front in my mind.

- cabin view not necessary, but is that even possible or a good idea?

- it must be able to record while the car is parked.

- discreet, don't want any visible screens in the cabin. I also don't want it to protrude too far below the rear view mirror.

- don't want any wires running down to my lighter. I'd like to hardwire it to my car, but I'm unsure how difficult that is. I will pay someone to install it if it's above my skillset.

- set it and forget it. I really don't want to do anything until someone hits my car or I hit them.

- good video quality, day and night.

My budget is flexible... so let me ask you this:

What cameras, if any, fit these requirements if my budget was $200?

$400?

$500?

I've read the wiki and been lurking here a little bit, but haven't been able to identify a clear winner.

Blackvue DR650GW

SpyTec K1S

Panorama X2

Lukas LK 7950

Not sure if there are others I've missed.

Also, do dashcams typically stamp time, speed and other data? Is that a feature?

Lukas would be the best performer from the models you've listed

you're not spoilt for choice in 2 channel unfortunately

- it must be able to record while the car is parked.

- discreet, don't want any visible screens in the cabin. I also don't want it to protrude too far below the rear view mirror.

There are no 2ch dashcam systems out there with good video quality, pre-buffer parking mode recording and discrete design.

- K1S does not have buffer recording
- Panorama X2 and Lukas ( and other similar high-end dashcams systems ) have bulky front unit
- BV DR650GW is one of my favourites from design point of view, but it has rear camera HD only

There is also Thinkware F750 to consider from design POV, it has both cameras 1080p, but unfortunately low bit rate and night video need some image quality adjustment .

There are two options:

1. to buy two single channel discrete design dashcams
2. to wait till such system will be available at some stage this year.

- front and rear camera-----good thinking!

-cabin view not necessary, but is that even possible or a good idea?----you capture mostly nose picking and lifting your butt to fart. It's a perk but not a necessity.

- it must be able to record while the car is parked.---easy, most do.

- discreet, don't want any visible screens in the cabin. I also don't want it to protrude too far below the rear view mirror.---easy, several discreet systems available...

- don't want any wires running down to my lighter. I'd like to hardwire it to my car, but I'm unsure how difficult that is. I will pay someone to install it if it's above my skill set.---so easy a caveman could do it!

- set it and forget it. I really don't want to do anything until someone hits my car or I hit them.----Nothing is set and forget thought aside from an easy card format on a regular basis and occasionally review footage to make sure things are working correctly...it's not a hassle at all.

- good video quality, day and night.---1080p and a good lens.

What cameras, if any, fit these requirements if my budget was $200? One good quality camera

$400? Two good quality cameras

$500? Two good quality cameras, a power management device so it stays on when parked and doesn't kill your battery, wiring accessories such as dual sockets and add a fuses and a hula girl for the dash.

Suggestions: Lukas or street guardian. Both are small, discreet, reliable, have good day and night quality, GPS, etc. use two single cameras, one front, one rear. Street guardians have a screen, but they are still very discreet.

And yes...most dash cams have time/date stamp as well as GPS speed option.

I think in most cases you can make do with 1 single front camera, sure i have 4,,,, well 5 in my car, but truth be told its the one main front camera i rely on.

From my point of view what the front camera do best is dokumenting that you are not doing any stupid stuff, so what ever happen must be the fault of the other guy, or at least the burden of proof is on his shoulders then, and if he cant lift that burden well then you should have the benefit of doubt as you can dokument you are not doing anything wrong.

I would not be bothered too much with " well what if i have a hit and run, wont a multi camera setup not stand a bigger chance of capturing the guy"

True you will have a much bigger chance of capturing a hit and run with 2 or more cameras, but due to the technical challenges of all current dashcams it is by no means a sure thing that you will be able to capture a licenceplate in all circumstances.
Not least American plates or plate ( as i undestand some states you only need to have 1 licenceplate ) anyway American plates seem to be more of a challenge to capture due to ther design.

If i was you i would just buy 1 good camera now to tie you over untill the end of the year when there should be much more desireable dual cameras on the market.
And by then you can enjoy the pleasure of giving and donate your "old" single camera to a person you love or like.

lots of good advise above, and allso if you dig around in here.

And not least welcome to the forum semantics.

PS: if you like me is sick and tired and just want a lot of cameras to expose those idiots on the road thats getting avay with the stuff they make, well then YES multi cameras is a good thing.
otherwise the number of cameras might just be a sign of a addiction :D

Better to forget the 'set and forget' stuff.

You'll have to occasionally format the memory card, and check the video files.

Thanks so much for the responses everyone. Lots to think about.

After mulling it over, I really think I would prefer a dual channel system with a wifi set-up. Lukas 7950 seems right up my alley -- but it's a little bulky. As niko and kamkar1 mentioned, it might make more sense to wait until something new comes out. On that note, are you guys aware of anything that's coming out in the next few months?

Street guardian is brewing on 2 dual cameras, and venturing out on a branch with a saw in my hand ;) i think both are supposed to be released in 2016.
And i think at least one of the kits will be a extremely stealthy kit with 2 small cameras on a wire, and a main unit to hide.
Sort of a SGZC12RC on steroids.

But it is sure they will not be released in the first half of the year.

Small is good :)

Small and black, just like the dress we men like to see girls in.

Probably the Lukas LK-7950 wifi Duo will fit all of your demand. Maybe two channel dash cameras will replace all one channel in the future if everyone is being that cautious.

Giving that if you understand the motion sensor is one of the main feature in the parking mode of a dash cam, the camera will start to record when the sensor detects any motion nearby.

Lukas is currently one of the best in recording videos in parking situation. No matter how dark the area is, when there is little light coming through it can clearly record the whole object. As you can see in the video

Extra utility if you would like the wifi function. While you can sync videos through smartphones.

Back