Have a WiFi enabled BlackVue cam? I made an Android app to make viewing videos easier

crazydog

Reaction score
Country
United States
I got frustrated with the poor performance of the BlackVue app, whether connected directly or over the cloud.

I wrote a simple Android app to make it easier, and smoother, to view Dashcam videos when you're on the same WiFi network as the Camera (or connected to the camera directly).

Please note though, that the buffering speed depends greatly on the Camera and your Device's WiFi connection quality, but from my testing it's always better than the official app.

It's 100% free and has no ads.

The app is available in the Play Store here!

:) It is a small world !
Nice to meet you here!

Excellent first attempt.. Well done. Thanks for sharing. Found my 650 1 ch with no problem.. once I disconnected the current WiFi connection. Video plays smoothly. Clean layout and easy to select clips.

But(s).. Video will not auto rotate to suit a landscape view. Video is in a small window, probaly designed for phones but too small for a tablet. No way to save clips. No GPS data possibly cropped at bottom?

Has a lot of potential.. but is pretty good as is.

Edit:
The author responded to my comment placed on the App site. It seems there may be a small bug that was responsible for my initial evaluation. On my Samsung Tab2 tablet the WiFi connection is almost instantaneous.. All I need to do is 1) activate the WiFi on the camera and 2) select the Blackvue WiFi source on my tablet.. (which disconnects any current connection).

The first screen gives a useful list of all the clips.. dated in an understandable way:). Selecting a clip brings up a small image with a play arrow in the center (much like any YouTube video) under a heading of front.. I only have a one channel camera so under the rear heading there is nothing.

Here is what seems to be the first bug. the video plays.. but the bottom appears to be cropped. and the video only plays in portrait mode. Based on the authors response that I "should" be able to get full screen I tried again.. It seems that by swiping the playing video I "most times" toggle back and forth exposing a white (empty) bar under the video this also un-crops the bottom of the video so that occasionally I see the GPS data. Once.. after wild swiping the white bar had data in it.. including the option to go full screen. Going full screen also gives me the auto rotate to show the video in landscape.. And.. that video is very good.. much better than what the Blackvue plays.. and very smooth with no pauses / buffering.

Wild swiping in the non existing rear camera area will also highlight that empty white bar that shows under the video.. perhaps.. the lack of a rear image is the cause some of the issues.

For what it is worth.. When it is working.. this is an excellent viewer.. with much potential by adding a couple of extras features.. Selecting multiple clips.. currently you only get one then have to go back to the list. The ability to save a clip.. And.. a version that would install on a PC.

:):):)

Last edited:
Can't wait to try this out. I fire up the Android hotspot feature in my cars for Chromecast audio. It'll will be so convenient to be able to access the Blackvue this way instead of messing with the built in SSID or limited cloud solution.

Back