Have A119, but which next? Yi;B1W;A119?

doesn't need to be a big camera to have a screen, some brands just keep slapping big screens on like that's a good thing though

I agree and that's what I said in reference to the GoPro above which has a 2inch touchscreen.

However, the unfortunate fact is if you have a small screen, then a touchscreen probably becomes impracticable for some users. I guess it comes down to preference. Personally I'd rather have a discreet form factor over a large fancy touch screen plus a large fancy bright screen uses battery power and can be distracting to some.

The B1W has female voice confirmation messages. Every time the camera turns on, it says "Grain Media", "SD card detected" then "Recording start". Power off is confirmed with "System going down".

I believe there may be a future option to change these for beeps. I would prefer completely silent operation, with only the flashing LED to confirm status. I'm not sure if that is going to happen.

Thanks Tony. Is that all it says? Start and end messages wouldn't be an issue for my wife.
What about any indicator lights at the rear to annoy the driver? Are there any once you start driving?

I wonder how soon the "auto flip" of display will be out @estore009 - it would be more intuitive for RHD cars to have the power cord to the left, running up against the RVM, and the lock button on the right (for most people, being right-handed). I guess it was designed for LHD vehicles?

What about any indicator lights at the rear to annoy the driver? Are there any once you start driving?
Led light will flash when recording;led light will be always on when recording stop;

I wonder how soon the "auto flip" of display will be out
Will add one auto-flip sensor to camera next batch,about end of January of 2018 year.

it would be more intuitive for RHD cars to have the power cord to the left, running up against the RVM, and the lock button on the right (for most people, being right-handed). I guess it was designed for LHD vehicles?
Since its camera body supports 360 degree rotating, I think it is ok for RHD and LHD both,Maybe i need to change its angled Micro USB charger to be a direct-way Micro USB charger!

1/ I guess I can always cover the light if it is annoying.
2/ End Jan may be too late for me, unless I position top right of screen so I don't need to flip. Lock button is then easier to reach. Screen is quite tall so it would be well above head height...
Screen Shot 2017-12-26 at 15.41.57.png
3/ When I bought my A119 I had to buy a right angled adapter off ebay as it had a straight micro USB connector, so I do not think a straight one is the solution unless you also supply right and left handed connectors, like this one: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/172885635173But then I can always buy my own if you send a straight one?!

It's a small LED, but sufficiently bright to see if you look. It doesn't project much light beyond the cam.
I think you'd be able to see it in the RVM without distraction.

Cam will be forward facing, above head height, to the right. Light doesn't sound like a worry.

If i order a new thing, i will focus on not only price, and also quality, service and warranty.
Viofo promise they provide 12-months warranty and lifetime technical support.
I appreciate this service.

Thanks Tony. Is that all it says? Start and end messages wouldn't be an issue for my wife.

I wonder how soon the "auto flip" of display will be out @estore009 - it would be more intuitive for RHD cars to have the power cord to the left, running up against the RVM, and the lock button on the right (for most people, being right-handed). I guess it was designed for LHD vehicles?
The only other message I've heard from the B1W is "lock file" if either the lock button is pressed or the camera detects an impact. The g sensor is not overly sensitive.

The single led light on the rear of the camera is not obtrusive. As mentioned earlier, it does not shine or glare much beyond its own size.

I don't find the lock file button being on the left to be an issue in a rhd car. It's just as easy to tap the button with the left hand as the right hand.

A119V2 x 2 arrived, fitted in BMW X1 & Mini Cooper S today, both nicely peeping out from under the screen top mounts.

Easy fit, easy set up, both working fine. Just need to check output after driving.

Hello again all!

Update, 5 years on.

The A119 cams have been going well. One occasionally (maybe once a year) starts double beeping on the least used car (mine). I reset it with a paper clip and it carries on, no big issue. Maybe something to do with the capacitor?

Anyhow, my wife's A119 is going into her new car but the 4 metre Viofo supplied cable is 1m too short for the route it needs to take (no under dash 12v socket).
I bought a 5m cable off eBay but it has two things wrong: 1/ It's too thick and 2/ it has an inline suppressor fitted near the USB A end which wasn't shown in the ad. This won't fit behind local trim...

20231102_092305.jpg

So... any suggestions as to where's best for a thinnish 5m USB A to Mini-B cable?
I also need a new sticky pad for the windscreen. Just get some 3M VHB tape, or is there something better?

Many thanks for any help.

Hello again all!

Update, 5 years on.

The A119 cams have been going well. One occasionally (maybe once a year) starts double beeping on the least used car (mine). I reset it with a paper clip and it carries on, no big issue. Maybe something to do with the capacitor?

Anyhow, my wife's A119 is going into her new car but the 4 metre Viofo supplied cable is 1m too short for the route it needs to take (no under dash 12v socket).
I bought a 5m cable off eBay but it has two things wrong: 1/ It's too thick and 2/ it has an inline suppressor fitted near the USB A end which wasn't shown in the ad. This won't fit behind local trim...

View attachment 68912

So... any suggestions as to where's best for a thinnish 5m USB A to Mini-B cable?
I also need a new sticky pad for the windscreen. Just get some 3M VHB tape, or is there something better?

Many thanks for any help.
May want to consider upgrading to the current model cam. A119 Mini 2. It is LIGHT YEARS better than the older models, especially at night. Uses USB C now as well (more easy to find cable)
I recently replaced my still going strong A119 V1 cam, well worth the upgrade. Sony Starvis 2 sensor is amazing!
But as far as cabling, where else to buy odd length cables, Amazon.
But keep in mind, if u need to too long length, you need to use a Active cable or a shorter Active Extension cable, then a normal cable. There is voltage drop after certain length of normal cable.

Presumably you have the cable pluged into a cigar lighter socket, in which case, how about using the original cable together with a cigar lighter extension cable?

From your complaint about the inductor, that may not be possible, but from an electrical point of view it is a better solution.

I had another look today... I found a different route which the original 4m cable suits, along top of screen, down the A pillar, under the dash, backwards along/under the bottom of the centre console, into the lower of the rear (of the centre console) passenger central USB 'A' double socket. Checked it goes off after around 30 mins from ignition off. It does. (Porsche Macan S). Previously I had the route going down to the floor, along the door, under the front seat which used another 6-700mm of cable. New route is better hidden too.

Just need to get the 3M VHB - had grey before but I see I can get black or clear. Will go black.

Had a look at the Mini 2 but I see only a mild improvement in image. The wifi, bluetooth, voice commands don't interest me.

...but I see I can get black or clear. Will go black.
Good choice. In my experience clear tape is very visible when used to mount objects on glass.

Black tends to be more visible from outside than dark grey, but it also looks more like original equipment.

These seems a good value choice as the mount is 35mm high and I can cut a strip in half for the 48mm width:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/225484855670

That's IF they're genuine 3M? Can't see any lettering on the backing paper. Still, seller has 100% feedback. I've asked why no 3M lettering.

The double sided number plate strips Porsche provided for our private plates is rubbish so I can add a few of these strips there too.

Ebay seller replied:

"Hi. They are genuine 3M. I bought several mixed 3M pallets, and these were in there. I have these on a large roll and then cut them down to strips. They are ridiculously grabby. Regards. Brad."

Not sure it's VHB, as it reads "Pressure sensitive tape" in the roll core, but I'll give it a go...

s-l1600-8.jpg

Back