Have a119s v2, got a new car, considering a129. Should i go for it?

mms1361

Reaction score
Country
United States
Anything i should be aware of as far as failures, issues? I remember i had to return my 119v1 because the camera was out of focus. My v2 looked marginally better and has never failed me.

Anything i should be aware of as far as failures, issues? I remember i had to return my 119v1 because the camera was out of focus. My v2 looked marginally better and has never failed me.

Hi mms1361,
Only if you intend to get the A129 Duo eg with rear camera.

I also had the original A119 I had issues with it but @viofo stepped up and replaced it.
From a support perspective I can't complain.

I also own a A129 Duo as I have always wanted a rear camera view and the A129 Duo fit the bill and budget.

The A129 Duo user a better camera to gps mount (no movement when pressing buttons) and the button layout looks tidy and easier to use.
The biggest issue is wifi.
Access can be difficult to enable/disable.
Leaving wifi on will lower the quality of the recording which is something you have to keep in mind. Basically switch it off.

Number plate reading will be similar to what you have.

GPS on all the Viofo dash cams I've used is less than ideal. Information on the video is slightly out eg not real time.
GPS unit sometimes drops out. You may have noticed on your current unit. I haven't worked out why sometimes it's fine and other times its not. And before others suggest some solutions it's not a weather issue or windscreen placement or a delay when unit first starts.
I did a review on the 129 Duo IR and in the video that's all pink you'll notice there's no GPS signal which I point to in the video. It seems an intermittent thing.

Even with these issues I think the A129 Duo video quality is good front and rear same resolution.
When I exclude the issues above I am happy with the unit.

New car new camera it's obvious. Get the 3 wire permanent power kit too:)

Last edited:
Ive never used or wanted the gps mount on my a119s. so thats not a concern. I do intend to get the 129 front and rear kit. In regards to the wifi its not a deal breaker but it does seem like a bummer. When i initially purchased my a119s i was so happy being a new dashcam owner that i was recording every stupid traffic idiot and saving clips. I quickly got over that because there were a ton of idiots and i got tired of pulling the sd card. Nowadays i have never pulled the SD card unless it was an accident. So wifi does seem like a nice feature to have. With the issues regarding wifi, do you mean when its connected to a wifi the quality is lower? or with just having the option turned on and even not connected to a network the quality is lower?

Wifi running without it doing anything will have an effect on video quality.

You can download files via wifi to your phone but it is very very very slooow!
Quicker to pull the men card and copy.

I do intend to get the 129 front and rear kit.
That's a wise decision. I own (2) A129 Duos and I absolutely love them, especially with the new v1.8 firmware and buffered parking mode. Plus, this forum and Viofo are there if you need any help or run into any problems. :)

The new A119 V3 has the best video quality head to head against from all Viofo products so far

The night comparison is coming soon is and you’ll see a difference as well.

The new A119 V3 has the best video quality head to head against from all Viofo products so far

The night comparison is coming soon is and you’ll see a difference as well.

But the A119 V3 is a single setup. Single setup will ALWAYS outpace a dual camera. Because instead of a single, higher resolution stream, you have two streams (Front / Rear) running at the same time. The A129 could run at a higher bitrate without the rear camera, too.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
T A129 / 129 Duo 3
Back