Have I made a mistake?

gk09bha

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My old dash cam died after a number of years faithful service, so I decided to take advantage of the Halfords trade-in offer, and purchased the Nextbase 512GW (just over 1 week old now).​

The 512GW and the previous unit are powered from the cigarette lighter socket; the socket is only powered when the car is on, both units at situated at at the same place on the window screen. I upgraded the firmware in the 512GW after purchase to R22.5. My previous unit had a very small capacitor to hold charge and nowhere near the 512GW's claimed 30 minutes for "parking mode".

Problems {differences?} when compared to my old dash cam:-
1. Slow to get a GPS fix, can take up to 10 minutes, my previous unit was very very quick to lock onto GPS satellites and always ‘there and ready’ when I wanted to drive off, show's 0 MPH.
2. Failure to record 2 hours driving (at the start of the day), the unit then decided to wake up and start recording for the rest of the day though I've not been able to check yet if it recorded the whole of the rest of the days driving, though it continued to be slow to lock onto satellites between stops, not the first time that it has failed to record.
3. Replay 3 – Now that’s poor isn’t it, already looking at Dashcam Viewer if I decide to keep the 512GW, but that's an extra cost.

Thoughts? I really do not want yet another visit to Halfords to address problems, thanks.

It was a cheap'ish Praktica CDV2.0, full HD, GPS, rock solid until it died.

ok, not a model I'm familiar with so not sure how it should compare, maybe someone else will know that one

Dashcam viewer has lots of free codes around, dont pay for it :) 10 mins to lock on to GPS !! take it back sounds faulty, or try a factory reset, go in settings and see if its not set up right?

I'll tag @NextBase Tiffany as that sounds like a defective window mount. The GPS is in there and not in the dashcam itself.

Hi Tiffany, thank you for the replacement mount, seems to be working now, but I've not really had time to test as yet. Any new release of firmware scheduled anytime soon? any deals likely to be available for the rear camera?

Just thought I would post an update to my thread.

Having purchased the 512 initially, I invested in the rear camera to go with it, both seem to work well, as long as you do not enable parking mode.

Parking mode, runs the battery down as expected when not hard wired to a permanent supply and if it is triggered a number of times by movement. Problem with this is that when the vehicle is re-started, it takes ages for the 512 to recharge and for the GPS to sync to satellites and start recording again, indeed this can be hours of driving with no recordings (not ideal if there is an incident or action that you hope is recorded). My question was: did I make a mistake with my purchase, Answer: Probably, for the combined cost of the 512 and the rear camera I may have been able to purchase something slightly better.

You could try the Viofo A129, they are giving them away at the moment on their fb page. I just got the A129 duo IR.
Their 4k version is due out in a week or so, to also be offered free.

You could try the Viofo A129, they are giving them away at the moment on their fb page. I just got the A129 duo IR.
Their 4k version is due out in a week or so, to also be offered free.
Where are these magical free cameras that you speak of?

Back