Have some questions needing to be answered to use Mobius as a dashcam.

Maste Chali

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello, I'm interested in purchasing a Mobius actioncam to use for my car as an alternative to other pricey dashcams that give out the same quality of recording at double the price. Before doing that, I want to know the following:

1) I have heard about overheating issues. I know Mobius uses 2 heatsink plates for this, but are there any replacements for those plates that can handle way more heat?

2) Using a supercapacitor, what kind of length can I get out of continuous recording if left in a vehicle 24/7? Is there a way to charge a supercapacitor, or is it like a one-time-use only?

3) I've noticed there is a V3 Mobius. What's the differences between V1, V2, and V3?

4) Different lens types. Please explain all the types (A, B, C, D?) and what each one is used for, and which is best for being used in a car.

Appreciate it if you guys can help me out. Will also be grateful if someone can cut me a deal for a used Mobius at a great price that works just as good as day 1.

Thanks!

Camera needs to be powered from the car, the super capacitors are just there for shutdown process to save the last file, they won't power the camera at all

I see. So I would have to get a really long USB extension to have it mounted on the headliner of my car while being used?

I see. So I would have to get a really long USB extension to have it mounted on the headliner of my car while being used?

A 3 metre cable to supply power from the accessory socket to the Camera is available from all Mobius-approved sellers.

image.jpg

Excellent. What about the choice of the types of lens available? I'm planning on getting two, possibly three cams (front, rear, and one facing the driver's side).

I'll try to address your other questions:

1. Overheating - not an issue I've really heard of with the Mobius. The metal plates get hot, but they are supposed to dissipate the heat.
3. V2 added a new case with a re-designed PCB. Functionality is identical to V1. V3 has a re-designed case to accommodate the C lens. Looks identical from the outside to V2.
4. Lenses - B lens is out of production, as the C lens replaced it. Difference between A lens and C lens is field of view. Really your preference on which you should use. If you want a closer shot with more detail visible, choose the A lens. If you want a wider shot with a little less detail, choose the C lens.

C lens have better night shots over A lens.

Back