Have updates ceased for this dashcam?

Milamber

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Dash Cam
A129 Pro Duo
Just curious if any future updates are planned with this dashcam, I am after a 4K camera and this looks amazing.

Thank you for your attention,
at present, we only have some Beta firmware to refine its performance like night vision, not many new features added,
what new features do you expect?

Don't think there is anything big coming, but this camera has been around for a while now, so everything that can be fixed has been fixed.

It does use the same processor that Viofo have recently used in the A139 and T130, so stuff that goes in those should be easy to add to this, and if Novatec were to release an SDK update (Operating System) then they would quite likely update all three rather than let one get outdated.

Should really be nearly time for a whole camera update, but that won't arrive until there is a better image sensor they can use, and the current sensor seems really hard to beat! Recent 4K dashcam sensors like the IMX415 being used by some other brands are smaller. so even with new sensor technology still don't match the A129 Pro for image quality, although they are better in some ways such as heat production.

Waiting for a big Starvis 2 4K dashcam sensor from Sony... but that is going to cost a lot more, so maybe doesn't make sense when everyone else is using the little IMX415!

Good info, thanks Nigel.

I am thinking of buying this dashcam, currently have a Thinkware Q800 Pro; with the Australian heat, the image sensor is causing a blurred image and pixilation and I like the quality of this camera.

The blurred video you see in the old camera are probably focus shift, most often it seem to me it shift to near, meaning things close to the camera are in good focus ( dashboard ) where things further out are blurred.
This do happen now and then, but thankfully not as often as in the old days.
If your focus have shifted and stay there you can refocus the camera, but it require you take it apart and loosen the lens so you can turn it a few degrees to get back into focus, this is not easy as the lenses are often secured with a glue, it is not like you just have to loosen a screw to be able to refocus it.
But it can be done.

I expect Wifi Client as some other Viofo dashcams have.

with the Australian heat
Don't expect the A129 Pro to provide daytime parking mode in Australian heat, otherwise it should work well, doesn't seem to suffer significant focus shift in hot conditions. If you are worried about heat then you could go for the single channel version and use a seperate (old?) dashcam for the rear.

Don't expect the A129 Pro to provide daytime parking mode in Australian heat, otherwise it should work well, doesn't seem to suffer significant focus shift in hot conditions. If you are worried about heat then you could go for the single channel version and use a seperate (old?) dashcam for the rear.
Thanks, this might be tricky to hardwire with two seperate dashcams.

I might disable parking recording in summer via the dashcam settings due to the heat, I take it the camera lens wont warp if the camera is off - even if the internals of the vehicle are in excess of 75 degrees C?

EDIT: Since I want the rear duo version (front and rear) perhaps an OBD connector would be better, as it has a switch to disable parking recording very easily? https://www.amazon.com.au/Camera-Charging-Adapter-Switch-Button/dp/B01H38IO86

Last edited:
Thanks, this might be tricky to hardwire with two seperate dashcams.
You can wire two hardwire kits to the same fuse tap.

I might disable parking recording in summer via the dashcam settings due to the heat, I take it the camera lens wont warp if the camera is off - even if the internals of the vehicle are in excess of 75 degrees C?
The lens will be fine with the camera off, and if you leave the camera on then it will protect itself by shutting down during the heat of the day.

EDIT: Since I want the rear duo version (front and rear) perhaps an OBD connector would be better, as it has a switch to disable parking recording very easily? https://www.amazon.com.au/Camera-Charging-Adapter-Switch-Button/dp/B01H38IO86
No, you will want to use the Viofo HK3 hardwire kit if you want to use parking mode.

The parking mode can easily be disabled in the menu or in the phone app, or on a one off basis by pressing the power button to shut the camera down, it will start up again by itself next time you start the car so no possibility of forgetting to turn it back on, which is what would happen with OBD power.

You can wire two hardwire kits to the same fuse tap.

The lens will be fine with the camera off, and if you leave the camera on then it will protect itself by shutting down during the heat of the day.

No, you will want to use the Viofo HK3 hardwire kit if you want to use parking mode.

The parking mode can easily be disabled in the menu or in the phone app, or on a one off basis by pressing the power button to shut the camera down, it will start up again by itself next time you start the car so no possibility of forgetting to turn it back on, which is what would happen with OBD power.
Ok good to know, I will get the HK3 then.

I have a hatchback vehicle and I'm not good with wiring and so I will need an installer to do it which is expensive here: $250 AUD.

Thank you for your attention,
at present, we only have some Beta firmware to refine its performance like night vision, not many new features added,
what new features do you expect?
Before upgrading to A129 Pro, I was using Thinkware f800. The feature that I miss the most is the verbal notification Thinkware provided if there was any incident that triggered the g-sensor while in parking mode. Super-duper useful. I would love to see that feature in Viofo dash cams. (y)

Before upgrading to A129 Pro, I was using Thinkware f800. The feature that I miss the most is the verbal notification Thinkware provided if there was any incident that triggered the g-sensor while in parking mode. Super-duper useful. I would love to see that feature in Viofo dash cams. (y)
A129 PRO can also trigger emergency videos during both driving and parking,
and our A139 and T130 support smart notifications and various languages.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
markus A129 Pro / A129 Pro Duo 3
Back