Have Vico fluffed it with the Marcus 3?

bronze84

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
Thinkware F750, K1S, Marcus3, Mobius, Xiaomi Yi, Sony AS100v
Right, I'm going to be comparing the Marcus 3 directly with my Mobius B lens which I use as a rear mounted cam.

I have noticed a few anomalies with my wife's Marcus 3 vs my Mobius when reviewing footage. I put the Marcus 3 in my car next to my Mobius so it was the same conditions to try and make it fair. A lot that I have noticed has already been mentioned on the forum on different threads, e.g. not very sharp picture, number plates unreadable etc...

I believe that although the Marcus 3 was nearly twice the price, my Mobius performs better in nearly every respect accept for night footage.

Firstly, day time footage... The Mobius seems on par here if not slightly better in my opinion. I get less 'blocking' compared to the Marcus 3. When changing from dark to light situations they both perform well.

Secondly, file size... I recorded a 5 min clip using 30fps @ 1080p on my Mobius and the file size was 600mb @ 18mbps (day time). On the same recording on the Marcus 3 using 60fps @ 1080p the file size was only 336mb @ 17mbps. How? If anything I thought the file would be bigger on the Marcus 3? I used the same micro sd cards in both cams (32gb Samsung Evo - I highly recommend!)

Compared to the Mobius the video looks grainy, less smooth and less defined for what I would call a semi-premium product. If the Mobius had slightly better night quality then I would've bought the Mobius for the wife over the Marcus 3.

I like the Mobius for its simplicity, it doesn't try to be something it's not, but is good at what it does. However I don't feel like I have got very good value for money with the Marcus 3. It is the total opposite, it is trying to be something it's not and is only distinctly average in that respect. It may sound like I'm being harsh on Vico but I'm not. If future firmware updates improve the video quality then Vico maybe on to a winner, as it has an easy to use menu and nice buttons. However as it stands the performance doesn't match up to the specs of this cam. If I wasn't waiting for the release of the upcoming Guardtrak then I would be tempted to buy another Mobius as my front mounted cam, simply because for the money it seems to punch way above its weight.

I'd be interested to hear your thoughts....

Got any example videos?

Back