Haven't been on the forum for a year... ok to update firmware >1.009 now?

plasmo

Reaction score
Country
United States
I haven't been on the forum for a while now... my 650GW-2CH is still on firmware 1.009.

It was previously recommended at that time not to upgrade the firmware due to better bitrate etc, but now that time has passed and it looks like we are at 2.008 or so, do people recommend to upgrade now?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Hi

It depends how old your camera is. V2+ is for cameras produced after April 2015 (cloud). I think the latest for the older cameras is V1.011.
I sent my pre-April 2015 camera for repair and got a post-April 2015 in return, and I'm currently on V2.002 (but not using the "Cloud".

I asked Blackvue about this topic and they said that the V2 firmwares will still work on non-cloud compatible devices, just leave cloud turned off. The rest of the hardware (processor) is the same so I guess it makes sense. V2.007 and V2.008 seems to be fairly stable.

Hi plasmo, and thanks BlackboxMyCar

Very interesting, and goes against earlier views on this forum.

Be aware that V2.007 is for Blackvue dashcams with the additional reversing camera kit, and you need to go via V2.002 first.

Plasmo, please let us know how you get on with upgrading to V2.008. I would advise going in stages (V1.011, V2.002 etc.).

Good luck

John

Last edited:
Just upgraded. I'm now on v.2.008 and things are running smoothly (actually better).
I had to do the 2.002 upgrade first by copying manually on microSD card (wouldn't work OTA), then I could upgrade to 2.008 via OTA and everything worked. Getting onto Wifi signal is noticeably faster, and the audio voice actually speaks a bit faster as well.

I did notice when I upgraded to V2.002 that the wifi, and gps, were connecting much faster. I may have a go at V2.008 this weekend.
Don't forget, if you've previously turned off your "parking mode" LED light, you'll now have a permanent blue wifi light on the left hand side of your cam.
The wifi "turn off" box in the settings menu doesn't seem to have any effect. If you don't want it on whilst parked, just press the wifi button.

I have an original 650GW-2CH running v1.005. Decided to upgrade to the latest. Made it up to v2.008, could connect to the Blackvue and switch video between the front and rear cameras, but the Blackvue would not record video for either camera. I switched back to all legacy stuff; firmware(v1.011)/Windows software(2.58)/Apple app(1.525) and I'm working again. Looks like v1.011 legacy is as far as I can go.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
GRG DR650GW (1CH or 2CH) 4
Back