Having trouble connecting Mobius to computer for setup

Joe Sanchez

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
Mobius
I've had the mobius for 7-8 months now and it has been working completely fine. I had it set up to start recording when power is introduced and when disconnected, it continued recording for 10 seconds, after which it turned off.

Until two days ago, I had no problems with it. I noticed that when I plugged it into the car power, the yellow light would turn on, but not flash, meaning it wasn't recorded. i checked the sd card through a reader and sure enough, a day of footage was missing.

I messed around with it a bit today, trying to get it to connect to two different computers with two different cables as a disk drive rather than a power source, but wouldn't work. I went back to my car and plugged it into the power and now it works fine. When I plug it in, all my settings were the way they were. This might have been because I pressed the reset button.

When I was going over the footage after the camera was fixed, I noticed the time was wrong. Now I'm not able to connect to the computer as a storage device or setup device. mSetup just says in red text "Please connect your camera to the USB port".

I've read some other threads on this topic, but haven't found a solution that works. Thanks for any help!

Welcome to DCT, Joe Sanchez!

Usually, when the computer doesn't recognize the Mobius it's because of the USB cable. Are you using the one that came with the camera or a different one?

I've had the mobius for 7-8 months now and it has been working completely fine. I had it set up to start recording when power is introduced and when disconnected, it continued recording for 10 seconds, after which it turned off.

Until two days ago, I had no problems with it. I noticed that when I plugged it into the car power, the yellow light would turn on, but not flash, meaning it wasn't recorded. i checked the sd card through a reader and sure enough, a day of footage was missing.

I messed around with it a bit today, trying to get it to connect to two different computers with two different cables as a disk drive rather than a power source, but wouldn't work. I went back to my car and plugged it into the power and now it works fine. When I plug it in, all my settings were the way they were. This might have been because I pressed the reset button.

When I was going over the footage after the camera was fixed, I noticed the time was wrong. Now I'm not able to connect to the computer as a storage device or setup device. mSetup just says in red text "Please connect your camera to the USB port".

I've read some other threads on this topic, but haven't found a solution that works. Thanks for any help!

You need to make sure that the cable you use to connect the Mobius to a computer is a true 5-pin cable which has data connectivity rather than just power as provided by some identical looking USB-A to mini B cables.

This would be a good place to begin your troubleshooting of this problem.

It sounds like the cable in your car is just a power connector and perhaps the two cables you tried with the computer are the same or perhaps need to be replaced.

mobipins.jpg

USBpinouts.jpg

You need to make sure that the cable you use to connect the Mobius to a computer is a true 5-pin cable which has data connectivity rather than just power as provided by some identical looking USB-A to mini B cables.

This would be a good place to begin your troubleshooting of this problem.

It sounds like the cable in your car is just a power connector and perhaps the two cables you tried with the computer are the same or perhaps need to be replaced.

View attachment 21194

View attachment 21195
I don't think this is it. I've used the cables for setup and transfer many times.

Welcome to DCT, Joe Sanchez!

Usually, when the computer doesn't recognize the Mobius it's because of the USB cable. Are you using the one that came with the camera or a different one?

I've used both of these cables for data transfer and setup before. They both came with the camera, one long and one short. Never had problems with them before. Maybe the pins that transfer data are bent/out of commission?

Try giving the leads a cleaning, both on the camera and on the cables.

it wont recognise without a "good" SD card in the camera.

it wont recognise without a "good" SD card in the camera.
If the sd card works with a reader, why would it have trouble with a camera? Plus, its a kingston that follows all the guidelines.

dunno..

just a suggestion as all 20 of my Mobius connect immediately they are connected up with a good sd card and only time I have trouble is sd card related.

dunno..

just a suggestion as all 20 of my Mobius connect immediately they are connected up with a good sd card and only time I have trouble is sd card related.
Damnn. What do you do with 20 mobiuses? I'll buy n ew sd card to check it out then. Thanks for the advice.

If the sd card works with a reader, why would it have trouble with a camera? Plus, its a kingston that follows all the guidelines.

Same problem, I bought a Kingston 32gb card from eBay, camera did not recognise it. Stuck it in a card reader and it worked fine on my PC, able to drag and drop files no problem. Put it back in the camera and no go. Ran 'h2testw_1.4zip' from the mobius website and found failures on all 4 runs. Have a look as the explanation is interesting......
Contacted the seller and I was refunded within the hour, no arguments just a refund.

I have now ordered a new Kingston card from Amazon as 'sold by and supplied' by Amazon so would hope this will be okay.

By the way, Hi everyone, new to this Dashcam lark but after a couple of close calls thought it about time I got stuck in!

By the way, Hi everyone, new to this Dashcam lark but after a couple of close calls thought it about time I got stuck in!
Welcome to DCT. Good choice for your first dashcam.

Same problem, I bought a Kingston 32gb card from eBay, camera did not recognise it. Stuck it in a card reader and it worked fine on my PC, able to drag and drop files no problem. Put it back in the camera and no go. Ran 'h2testw_1.4zip' from the mobius website and found failures on all 4 runs. Have a look as the explanation is interesting......
Contacted the seller and I was refunded within the hour, no arguments just a refund.

I have now ordered a new Kingston card from Amazon as 'sold by and supplied' by Amazon so would hope this will be okay.
There are hundreds of electronics, cell phones or home appliances shops in the UK, I'm sure many of them sell genuine microSD cards from different brands, is it really worth saving a few quids buying them from those online shops when there's a high probability of getting a counterfeit card?

... is it really worth saving a few quids buying them from those online shops when there's a high probability of getting a counterfeit card?
It's definitely worth buying a card dispatched from & sold by Amazon, as it's one of the best ways to get the genuine product, & save a worthwhile amount of cash over the ripoff high street pricing of memory cards in the UK.

Yup same thing happened to me after buying bargain SanDisk cards. Often times fake ones.

There are plenty of genuine cheap SD cards out there.

Samsung is one of the better ones

New card received today from Amazon, installed and camera is now 'working'. I say working as I am only able to connect to the PC at the moment and am getting some odd responses to the 3 buttons. I will persevere as I am sure its me and not the camera;).

I have downloaded 'msetup' which has installed to my C:\Users\Me\AppData\Local\Temp\Temp1_mSetup.zip\mSetup.exe.

I often clear my Temp files as they take up a lot of space and should be 'temporary' and used when programs are installed elsewhere, I am surprised that msetup seems to be firmly installed within the Temp folder.

Can this program be moved somewhere it is unlikely to be deleted? Say installed within the Program Files folders?

I have downloaded 'msetup' which has installed to my C:\Users\Me\AppData\Local\Temp\Temp1_mSetup.zip\mSetup.exe.

I often clear my Temp files as they take up a lot of space and should be 'temporary' and used when programs are installed elsewhere, I am surprised that msetup seems to be firmly installed within the Temp folder.

Can this program be moved somewhere it is unlikely to be deleted? Say installed within the Program Files folders?
It looks like you executed it without unzip it first. mSetup isn't installed anywhere. It's a standalone .exe file. Wherever you unzipped it into (a folder or the local disk's root) it's where it is executed from, not the temporary files folder.

Last edited:
Odd, all the files, exe and video are in the Temps file as my post. Should Ia delete/uninstall them and re-download and see if I can install anywhere else?

Odd, all the files, exe and video are in the Temps file as my post. Should Ia delete/uninstall them and re-download and see if I can install anywhere else?
You can't uninstall it because it's not installed. :)
Where did you save the mSetup.zip file to?

Back