Hawkeye Firefly 8S 4k (Coming soon!)

My 8s unboxing is here with loads of test clips. I just found out after someone commented on YouTube that my video was shot at 90 FOV. After some research I discovered that it was a FW issue with some video settings. I am v1.0.53 and trying to update to v61 ( I have tested and updated dozens of cameras) but following the correct procedure the camera will not update so I can't update and fix the problem.
Anybody know what version might work please? I've tried 3 or 4 versions now inc 57 which was the one after 53 and when I go to settings check firmware it just comes out and doesn't load the new FW?
Firefly make great cameras, I have tested the 5S, 6S, 7S and Q6 but their FW issues are a pain in the xxxx!

Last edited:
v61 works for sure!
just download to sd card root folder and select firmware from camera menu
(charge battery!)

Just checked your video, seems like right part is blurry, while left is razor sharp.
Also, did you tried 2.5k mode? Its very clean, 60p, wider FOV than 1080 for some reason. My favourite.

Last edited:
On the Hawkeye web site V 61 doesn't have a download option it just says use APP to update? Have you got the file please? I'll try it. I've spent an hour this morning trying to sort this!

It get's even better. I thought OK, I'll update via the APP. Scanned the QR code and it takes me to an app called 'we chat' not Hawkeye. What a company :(

Thanks for that. I just installed the old Firefly app. That won't connect to the camera either. Useless! I'll try your file. cheers.

edit. Just tried your file. Didn't update. I go into settings. Version. Check FW . Press OK (shutter) brief pause and then back to display. I'll try a different card though the card I'm using is good brand class 10 and worked fine for video. (And I always format the card and put the file in the root. I've updated loads of cameras?)

Formatted with camera? Unzip the file.

Nope. Tried another card. v61 didn't upload. I give up. :(

Not being one to give up so easily really, I downloaded the new Firefly app via playstore. Got a version that worked this time, installed and connected to camera, then connected to Hawkeye and the phone obviously found a version it liked. Followed YouTube instructions and updated sucessfully to v1.0.65 with the app. Can't say it's the easiest procedure in the world, especially compared to the copy to the root of sd card method, but I got there in the end. For some reason my previous version of FW didn't want to know when I tried updating the card way?
This is the app update method , I love the way the guy has a cup of tea while it's downloading. ;)

PS Thanks for trying to help! Appeciated.

good to hear :)
maybe that earlier fw. doesnt support fw. upgrade correctly, lol.
I have v61 but the PAL 2.7k/25p 4:3 mode is recorded at 30p, but the name in menu is 25p.
Can you check if its fixed in v65? So 25p should be 25fps, and 30p 30fps :)

Back