HawkEye Firefly 8S - 90° FOV Reviews, tests, firmware updates

TechTronic9000

Reaction score
Country
Romania
Dash Cam
Too many
The new HawkEYE Firefly 8S is another action camera based on the solution provided by Ambarella A12 platform chipset and the Sony IMX 117 CMOS sensor. The main features are real 4K resolution, Full HD at 120 FPS and an impressive 720p @ 240 fps which will make stunning slow motion videos. The camera also provides extra functionality such as WiFi connectivity, Bluetooth remote control, external microphone, PWM remote control, FPV video output and provides a lot of functions like time lapse or long exposure photography. The 8S is also available in two lens options which are wide: 170° FOV and no fish eye distortion 90° FOV.

So far I'm really impressed by:

- GoPro format
- Mini USB 10P with audio input, pwm control, fpv output
- Hi voltage battery (4.35V/cell)
- Sunlight readable display
- Sun hood included
- Generous bundle
- Stable firmware
- Firmware updates !

Part 1 of the review

Unboxing, accessories, Bluetooth remote paring, full menu walkthrough with explanations, WiFi app complete demo test.

19238023_673827472808602_4157584391750248848_o.jpg 19620540_673827496141933_718180677629945511_o.jpg 19667835_673827539475262_4876644392218513181_o.jpg

Firmware update
V34

Update List:
a.Add FOV function, not available at 1080P 60/30 and superview mode.
b.Solve the problem that when turn on WiFi within 1.5 sec while machine power on, the machine will no response.
c.Solve the problem that it can't playback when micro sd card full.

How to update firmware:
a.Delete all the files in MicroSD card , and then copy update file to MicroSD card( “FIREFLY_FWUPDATE.bin”).
b.Put MicroSD card into camera and power on.
c.Switch to system menu: Version.
d.Press OK button to check the update fimware, if detected firmware is right, select “yes” to update.
e.Once confirmed, camera will update automaticly.
f.It will take 1-2 minutes to update. When update finish, it will power on, and then will reboot..
g.Detele firmware update files.
h.Just update the newnest firmware.

Available to download from http://www.cnfpv.com/ or faster from the HawkEYE Facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/153088881892675/

I am really interested.

Does the 170 degree version have fisheye correction in camera (7S has it in the menu, but not sure if it works, it resets when EIS is on).

I wonder why Auto Photo Mone aka Photo Time Lapse has a minimum interval of 3" instead of 1" or 0.5" which is useful. Is it due to this Ambarella chip?

I am really interested.

Does the 170 degree version have fisheye correction in camera (7S has it in the menu, but not sure if it works, it resets when EIS is on).

I wonder why Auto Photo Mone aka Photo Time Lapse has a minimum interval of 3" instead of 1" or 0.5" which is useful. Is it due to this Ambarella chip?

The 170° and 90° use the same firmware, i haven't seen a fisheye correction option in the menu, maybe it can be added later, the A12 platform has this option and it works in the SJ7 Star.

I've reviewed 3 'budget' native 4K cameras in the last few weeks that really knocked me out. The SJCam SJ7 Star, (touch screen and most expensive of the three) the ThiEYE t5e and now the last is the Firefly 8S from Hawkeye. They are a company that develop and manufacture their own cameras and I looked at all of their previous cameras which were also very good. This has high spec chip and sensor, 1080 @ 120 fps and native 4K (for those that can use it?) 11 element lens and gyrostabilisation. (EIS) Plus the usual accessories inc. waterproof case etc. You can buy a remote and external mike as well. It's around the £100 mark (£90 with the Gearbest coupon codes.) I thought the video quality and colours were stunning. There's even a parawaiting clip in the test clips! I made a long and short review version this time so you don't need to wade through all the 'how to use it stuff'! Plus the 4K clips are also rendered as short 4K clips separately on YouTube and Vimeo (which is usually better quality than YouTube.) Well worth considering if you are in the market for an action camera.
Gearbest link is on the video. If you buy there don't use cheapest delivery option. The long version and 4K clips are linked too.

Hello guys,
Now I have gitup2 but I am dissapointed, because more things.
Could you pls test for me. How long you can make fullhd movie in the freezer.
Means you put camera into freezer for cca 1 hour and then start filming.
With gitup it is very poor about 12 minutes.
Useless in winter for skiing...
Thank you

The Firefly 8S - 90° Demo Reel is now uploaded and processed. Be sure to read the note about 4@60fps ! I hope you will enjoy the video as much as I had making it. Several video samples will be uploaded in unedited format as well and RAW file + download options will be added later.

Watch "Hawkeye Firefly 8S 4K 30fps 170° Actin Camera Unboxing" on YouTube

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

A highly awaited test, a direct Gyro image stabilization (EIS) comparison between the Firefly 8S, SJCam Sj7, XiaoYi Yi2 and ThiEye T5 taken in 1080p@60fps. More tests coming soon.

I just received the Firefly 8S 90 after a few weeks. I also have the 7S 90.
First impressions
Some things are disappointing compared to the 7S:
- settings on LCD are a lot less legible. I feel I almost need reading glasses to see if I am in Time Lapse Video or Slow Motion.
With the 7S it was really clearer type and legible. Very useful when snorkeling or diving. I worry that the 8S wil ve less legible.
- The menu navigation is more cumbersome, more button to press to change settings.
- camera gets hotter just by being on
- Time Lapse video 1 sec min interval instead of 0.5 of 7S.
I will compare the image quality and the gyro but the LCD symbols when shooting are pretty bad....
I got it for the supposed better sensor / processor, mic in and tripod socket.

Any news about increased bitrates?
Can i buy a cheap fpv cable, if i only want to use vide out? Or will my current gopro3 cable work?
My T5e lcd was horrible. Weird color distorsion when viewing from left compared to right. I mean its so bad my two eyes see a different picture when watching from front.
Which are blacks in one eyes, is grey in another. I know this is because of cheap panel.
What about 8S?

Any news about increased bitrates?
Can i buy a cheap fpv cable, if i only want to use vide out? Or will my current gopro3 cable work?
My T5e lcd was horrible. Weird color distorsion when viewing from left compared to right. I mean its so bad my two eyes see a different picture when watching from front.
Which are blacks in one eyes, is grey in another. I know this is because of cheap panel.
What about 8S?

The 8S has a very good screen, it's actually the brightest and daylight readable screen.

great, and does this mean it doesnt have the color invert issue, like i have in T5e?

Back