HawKeye Firefly Q6 4K

What I meant was that the camera is designed to be used on battery power, that's why it doesn't have a capacitor. Am I right or am I white? ;)

Sure, but so was the Mobius, first batches came also with soldered on battery .... they changed that afterwards.... Maybe Firefly will too? I'm just curious to know what the future brings, well, no M2 that's for sure, another expected release date passed by and nothing to be seen here... http://stores.ebay.com/eletoponline...55299015&_sid=934409915&_trksid=p4634.c0.m322

On the other hand I am on JooVuu X for a few months now, but that's not a real success either, so far no really satisfying updates, IQ need improvement, wifi connection wobbly, can't really use the live view to adjust the cpl filter... maybe try the M20 w/o battery.....

Have you used m20 as a dashcam?

According to @Pavle's review, it keeps all the settings when used in Car Mode without the battery.

Well that sounds encouraging, picture quality seems pretty nice, even night recordings.

Where's his review? Doesn't show up on the link you gave me...?!

Last edited:
Have you used m20 as a dashcam?
No I haven't, but if they send me one for free I wouldn't mind testing it for them. :D
Anyway, there's a dedicated sub-forum for the M20, you can always ask there.

Where's his review? Doesn't show up on the link you gave me...?!
I didn't gave you any link, I just tagged Pavle to make him aware we're talking about him here.

On his site www.pevly.com there's a SJ4000/5000 and M10 manual, written by @TeriTerryTarry. This is what it says about Car Mode usage:

CAR MODE (Dash camera function)
SJ4000 can be used as a dash-camera (camera in your vehicle). Following explains how to use SJ4000 in a car camera mode.

• Press the Mode button until the Setup menu appears. Navigate to Page 5 of the menu, select Car Mode then select On.
  • Adjust any other settings on the Setup menu to your preference
  • Plug the camera into a 12V adapter and plug the adapter into a 12V outlet in your vehicle. Car Mode works with or without a battery in the camera
  • When you start your vehicle the camera turns on and starts recording video automatically. When you shut off your vehicle it stops recording and turns off automatically*. You can also turn off the camera manually while recording.
  • Camera and Playback modes are disabled while recording in Car Mode and no setting can be changed. Video Lapse is disabled during Car Mode even if it's turned On
  • After the camera turns off you can turn it On manually and operate it as normal if there is a battery in the camera
*- Since he doesn't mention anything about last file corruption I assume it doesn't ocurr. Knowing TTT and Pavle as I do from how critic they are of any faults the cameras they test have, if that happened they would've mentioned it.

Last edited:
Video test Hawkeye Firefly Q6. This was V2.0 firmware. v2.1 is now out with better gyro stabilisation.

As we're in Dashcamtalk, I'd REALLY like to see a dashcam recording with this camera in nighttime, streetlit roads in city, and highway.

Anyone?

Yesterday i tested the q6 and mini 806 side by side in day and nighttime conditions at the highest resolutions. I was going to upload a comparison video but the q6 was so poor as a dashcam, i'm not going to bother. Driving with cars parked next to the road i could clearly read the licence plates with the mini 806. The q6 was just a blur with the same plates, and that was in daytime overcast, plenty of light, and a cp filter on the mini 806 so that takes light away from the mini 806 and still it's miles better. At night its even worse for the q6. The q6 doesn't have the shutterspeed to freeze frames so pretty useless. 1080p60 may help, i didn't test that but it is not what i need in a dashcam. I had high hopes for the q6 as it worked well on my rc stuff. At 2.5k and not much moving around the detail on the q6 is there but as dashcam no good. I want a better rear facing cam but it's not going to be the q6, maybe the a119 if i can find one. The a119 and mini cams remain king in the value for money category for now.

Yesterday i tested the q6 and mini 806 side by side in day and nighttime conditions at the highest resolutions. I was going to upload a comparison video but the q6 was so poor as a dashcam, i'm not going to bother. Driving with cars parked next to the road i could clearly read the licence plates with the mini 806. The q6 was just a blur with the same plates, and that was in daytime overcast, plenty of light, and a cp filter on the mini 806 so that takes light away from the mini 806 and still it's miles better. At night its even worse for the q6. The q6 doesn't have the shutterspeed to freeze frames so pretty useless. 1080p60 may help, i didn't test that but it is not what i need in a dashcam. I had high hopes for the q6 as it worked well on my rc stuff. At 2.5k and not much moving around the detail on the q6 is there but as dashcam no good. I want a better rear facing cam but it's not going to be the q6, maybe the a119 if i can find one. The a119 and mini cams remain king in the value for money category for now.

Thanks for testing! Now I don't have to do anything about it, let alone buy one....

60fps make it even worse due to shorter shutter time.

;)

Thanks for testing! Now I don't have to do anything about it, let alone buy one....

60fps make it even worse due to shorter shutter time.

;)

48 bucs now on Gearbest.....

Wow, that's cheap for a decent action cam. I've done some more testing now that i received a flash sale a119 for 63€ and it is much better then the q6 but the mini 806 still rules. The problem is shutterspeed. The q6 is just a blur when things move too fast. The mini 806 freezes frames the best but the a119 is almost as good. The a119's problem is that at speed, the frame edges blur from the wide angle but the high resolution saves it when the license plate move more the the center of the frame. The image quality from the mini 806 still is best but for my rear camera the a119 will do a much better job then my mobius.

It leads me to think a Q7 is on the horizon...?

The q6 is just a blur when things move too fast.

It is weird isn't it? Action camera's that actually can't film action at all by design, because of the shutter speed being too low.... BOOOOHH!! Same issue with my Foxeer Legend 2 (almost never can read license plates of upcoming traffic, even infull sunlight and at 30 Mph........ not to mention night recordings. JooVuu X rules when compared with recent L2 and my older Mobius (over 3 years existing technology).

Nevertheless JooVuu is no holy grail either. So, I am still looking for the best dashcam under 100 bucs..... any idea's (other than 806 and A119)? I like the Mobius type / formfactor best. 806 is not really useable for me (please don't let me explain again...)....

;)

The thechmoan guy likes the DDPAI m6 plus a lot and by looking at his testfiles, it lookes like a winner for just over 100€ but no capacitator and i already have 3 mobius, runcam 2, sj4000, q6 and the dashcams so i'm going to ease off the buying a bit :)

For me the a119 for around 60€ is best value with capacitator. It only uses about 300mah with screen off so with the decent motion detection it can be powered from a 10000mah battery pack for very long when the car is parked. Not that convenient but it works for me.

where did you buy the A119 for 60EU???

besides, if it HAS to be the A119, it would be the S version with Sony IMX291 sensor for more light during night rides.

Off to bed now, normal workday for me tomorrow.....

There was a flash sale on gearbest some weeks ago. I took the chance for 63€ and it slipped through customs without taxes woohoo! It even was the gps version, not that i care but 2 mounts are nice.

I looked at the comparison videos for the s and regular version and the regular is a little better at night with wider angle and slightly faster shutterspeed judging by the lenght of the head and taillight streaks that the cars make. In the daytime the regular version is much better with the higher resolution and wider angle. The s version is only 1080p. The only advantage i see in the s is the slightly better dynamic range i saw with a license plate overexposed in the sun.

If it takes too long for 4k dashcams to become affordable (the yi 4k looks great) i might get a mini 805, also around 60€ and almost same spec as 806, only different lens and single micro sd card but i'll have to find out if there is also custom firmware with higher bitrates available like i run on my 806.

There was a flash sale on gearbest some weeks ago. I took the chance for 63€ and it slipped through customs without taxes woohoo! It even was the gps version, not that i care but 2 mounts are nice.

I looked at the comparison videos for the s and regular version and the regular is a little better at night with wider angle and slightly faster shutterspeed judging by the lenght of the head and taillight streaks that the cars make. In the daytime the regular version is much better with the higher resolution and wider angle. The s version is only 1080p. The only advantage i see in the s is the slightly better dynamic range i saw with a license plate overexposed in the sun.

If it takes too long for 4k dashcams to become affordable (the yi 4k looks great) i might get a mini 805, also around 60€ and almost same spec as 806, only different lens and single micro sd card but i'll have to find out if there is also custom firmware with higher bitrates available like i run on my 806.

Yeah, having no 4k is putting me off a bit too, but since I drive day and nights, I really need good night recordings, and from what I see in comparison videos, the A119S is significantly better than the regular A119 at night.

I can't agree with you there, sorry. Or are there different type of lenses for the A119 that don't fit the A119S? I'm a little confused about that.

I do know the wide lens C2 on the Mobius has better night recording over the standard A lens, so that could be the case for A119 too? Is that what you mean?

I checked out some more videos and you are right, they show better night performance from the s. That's strange to see how some videos show the s version to be better at night and others show much less difference. Maybe it has to do with the s sensor being new and firmware not yet optimized and not to forget, camera settings. Anyhow, 1080p does show less detail and less wide angle during the day which is easy to see on buildings further away. A wider angle would only show less detail so that's where the future 4k cams will bring a big improvement. The a119s seems a good night focussed compromise.

I played around a bit with the ev setting +2\3 or +1 and i can make the image slightly brighter in dark conditions, probably like the s, but when light is not optimal i get too slow shutterspeed during the day. It's a big difference to read plates and only a little darker image at night overal so i will leave it at ev -1\3.

Wide angle lenses let in more light from the surroundings for the same f-stop and are more forgiving to movement. I'm heavily into photography and it's easy to take a sharp picture with a 10mm lens at 1\60 but with not with a 500mm but detail is the other way around.
I have the 3 different mobius cams and used the a lens and c2 lens as rear cams in the car. I liked the a lens more because the c2 lens is too wide for dashcam use at 1080p to read plates but i like the clearer image more from the c2 lens. The c2 is great for side views if you want 4 dashcams :)

Let's hope the newer dashcams will get bigger faster lenses and bigger sensors, size does matter in imaging.

Back