HDMI output to monitor via DVI adapter query

shredder

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have been trying to get GIT2 hmdi output to lcd pc monitor without success. Using hdmi cable in conjunction with DVI adapter into DVI port on monitor. Tried 3 Samsung monitors and an ASUS one all without success. Monitors are all 1680*1050 max resolution. I thought HDMI and DVI were basically same and any necessary rescaling would be automatic between devices?

Should this work or am I missing something?
HDMI output to led tv works fine although the OSD looks low res.

I have been trying to get GIT2 hmdi output to lcd pc monitor without success. Using hdmi cable in conjunction with DVI adapter into DVI port on monitor. Tried 3 Samsung monitors and an ASUS one all without success. Monitors are all 1680*1050 max resolution. I thought HDMI and DVI were basically same and any necessary rescaling would be automatic between devices?

Should this work or am I missing something?
HDMI output to led tv works fine although the OSD looks low res.
i don't have an hdmi to dvi converter to test with, but i can confirm that the OSD looks low rez on an HDMI television. but that's fine since it's only for occasional use.

hdmi and dvi are similar, but from what i understand, hdmi carries more info than dvi. i don't know the full technical details, but i do know that not all hdmi to dvi adapters are equal. some have circuitry inside to handle things like resolution handshake or other details. i also know that an adapter won't work in both directions. it can only convert from hdmi to dvi or vice-versa, but not both.

have you tried connecting some other hdmi device such as a bluray player to the adapter to make sure it works as expected?

AFAIK the video signals on hdmi and dvi are same so adapter simply reconfigures phsyical pin connections. Audio is different but I am not bothered about that.

I suspect it is a EDID handshake issue. Looking at monitor specs there are several resolutions at 60hz below 1680*1050 that could be used. Probaly need to ask Gitup what resolutions it should support.

I have not got any other working hdmi output devices to try at moment ;-(

HDMI and DVI aren't the same, there is a handshake on HDMI to do with HDCP, if the right response isn't seen you won't get a picture, this often doesn't work through adapters

The cam should not be transmitting data encypted so there should not be an issue with hdcp unless as you say one of devices is not interpreting data from other correctly.
I did briefly see the Git2 settings OSD on monitor (but skewed) so I am still inclined to think this is a resolution mis-match problem.

I just found a Sony Blue Ray player with hdmi output and connected this to one of the LG monitors via an hdmi cable and dvi adapter in dvi port on monitor - and the Sony OSD displays fine.
Looks like the monitors and hdmi-dvi adapter are working as expceted and problem lies with the Git2 handshake/resolution.

If you mean video recording resolutions I have various ones on card at moment as I have been experimenting with different settings.

I guess the cam OSD use some fixed low res setting judging by how it looks on hdmi tv.
Without the OSD on monitor you obviously cannot operate cam settings.

I would perhaps try setting some different resolutions on the camera and see if you can get a signal, if it's something out of range of what the monitor supports then that could well be an issue

Yeah I already tried selecting files with different recording res, start play then connect monitor but no joy.
AFAIK the monitor and source should always handshake/negotiate and scale display to best achievable.
As I said in earlier post these monitors can all do multiple res options at 60hz so my guess is cam is just not handshaking as it should.
I will try Gitup and see what they have to say.

it's not just what the files are recorded at but what the resolution is set to when connecting you need to check, the highest res the camera offers doesn't work over HDMI, that's a known problem at the moment

Yes I have already tried changing resolutions and then connecting.
AFAIK the cam and monitor should in any case negotiate max supported res.

I have posted now on Gitup forum so will wait to see if they respond.

Using hdmi cable in conjunction with DVI adapter into DVI port on monitor. .
I don't think there is any problem with this.
I have used DVI to HDMI 2 years ago on SJ4000, it works on my PC monitor.

Have you tried with a GIT2 cam?
I think the problem lies with cam.
I have tested cables and adpaters with other hdmi source to 4 different monitors and they work.
Looks to me like GIT2 cam does not negotiate resolution correctly.

it's not just what the files are recorded at but what the resolution is set to when connecting you need to check, the highest res the camera offers doesn't work over HDMI, that's a known problem at the moment
Only 1080p, right? I have read in the Hero 4 manual that it only outputs HD to the tv.

We have tested with Micro HDMI to VGA and HDMI to DVI cable with PC monitor, both works with Git2.

Back