He could stop on red light but why would he

sone983

Reaction score
Country
Serbia
Dash Cam
Yi dashcam,VIOFO WR 1
There's a lot of it about.

And this one got stuck at the next red anyway.

In front of the local Art museum are 2 traffic signals which operate in unison about 100m apart. You'd be surprised how many locals zoom through the first one only to slam on the brakes hard for the second one , gaining nothing for doing that :confused:

Phil

I'm all for installing barriers like the ones on railway crossings, that start to come down immediately after the lights turn yellow and only go up after the green light. After paying for a few damaged barriers, their own damages and after being rearended a few times, maybe they'll learn. :sneaky:

I'm all for installing barriers like the ones on railway crossings, that start to come down immediately after the lights turn yellow and only go up after the green light. After paying for a few damaged barriers, their own damages and after being rearended a few times, maybe they'll learn. :sneaky:
I dont know how the traffic lights are solved in rest of Europe but in my country ( my town ),traffic light when finishing being green light,blink three times to warn driver that green light period is over soon or on some trafic lights we even had a little digital timers that shows drivers how much seconds left before green light ends.

Sent from my CUBOT MAX using Tapatalk

Our traffic lights are not so "advanced". They don't even have that "yellow flashing before green" feature that I see in the UK and other European countries. The only major change they did in recent years was reducing the time the yellow is on (now it's only 4 secs in general), when the "stop on yellow" rule became mandatory.

Our traffic lights are not so "advanced". They don't even have that "yellow flashing before green" feature that I see in the UK and other European countries. The only major change they did in recent years was reducing the time the yellow is on (now it's only 4 secs in general), when the "stop on yellow" rule became mandatory.
We are not advanced at all ( I live in Serbia, only candidate for EU union ),and maybe I wrote wrong, not yellow light flashing befire green, green light flashing three times before turn to yellow and after that red light.

I dont know how the traffic lights are solved in rest of Europe but in my country ( my town ),traffic light when finishing being green light,blink three times to warn driver that green light period is over soon or on some trafic lights we even had a little digital timers that shows drivers how much seconds left before green light ends.

they have large LED countdown timers on major intersection traffic lights in China, it's a great system

One law I also hate very much ( its a new one in my country ) which no tolerance in speed limit,for example, before we have a 10% tolerance, if speed limit is 60km/h we could drive at 66km/h speed without ticket or being pulled over. Now if we drive only 1km/h over the speed limit we got pulled over and get a ticket. I think there isnt similar lae in world.

Last edited:
No, I understood correctly what you wrote, but...
(...) green light flashing three times before turn to yellow and after that red light.
...it's very advanced, by Portuguese standards.

Last edited:
One law I also hate very much ( its a new one in my country ) which no tolerance in speed limit,for example, before we have a 10% tolerance, if speed limit is 60km/h we could drive at 66km/h speed without ticket or being pulled over. Now if we drive only 1km/h over the speed limit we got pulled over and get a ticket. I think there isnt similar lae in world.

That law probably already existed with those terms, only wasn't applied without any tolerance. In Portugal the law is the same as over there but since it's only a light infraction if you're going up to a certain excess above the speed limit, the authorities usually let it go. :)

Last edited:
they have large LED countdown timers on major intersection traffic lights in China, it's a great system
I've seen some of those here but the countdown is usually to inform pedestrians when their light is going to turn red but the green light for traffic doesn't come on immediately after the countdown reaches zero.

I've seen some of those here but the countdown is usually to inform pedestrians when their light is going to turn red but the green light for traffic doesn't come on immediately after the countdown reaches zero.

we have some of the countdown timers for pedestrians also, these are massive numbers above the road for all three colour lights so you can see how long you have until the light changes, saves a lot of frustration sitting at lights knowing how long you need to wait, or when approaching the lights how long you have before they will change to know if you will make it in time or not, takes away all the guesswork

these are massive numbers above the road for all three colour lights so you can see how long you have until the light changes, saves a lot of frustration sitting at lights knowing how long you need to wait, or when approaching the lights how long you have before they will change to know if you will make it in time or not, takes away all the guesswork
That seems like an idea that sould become standardized. However, I wonder if it would have any impact on reducing the number of red light runners we've been seeing increasing day by day in lots of countries. I mean, if those drivers can't be bothered to stop for a red light or wait for it to turn green, what makes us think they would care about knowing how long it'll take for the lights to change? :confused:

That seems like an idea that sould become standardized. However, I wonder if it would have any impact on reducing the number of red light runners we've been seeing increasing day by day in lots of countries. I mean, if those drivers can't be bothered to stop for a red light or wait for it to turn green, what makes us think they would care about knowing how long it'll take for the lights to change? :confused:

they always have cameras at these intersections, no need to take a chance on getting a ticket when you know if you will make the light or not

The first video has red light on the lower level but has bright green on the tall posts.
Confusing. Maybe he looked at the green.

The first video has red light on the lower level but has bright green on the tall posts.
Confusing. Maybe he looked at the green.
No he's not being confused,because he's driving a Merc and he have money, so he can solve any issue with it.

AFAIK no US States have any over-speed tolerance written into law but most places give you small tolerance in enforcement :) Do NOT expect that in small towns as speeding tickets are often their leading revenue generator, nor in the State of VA if you have out-of-state plates :( Here in SC, up to 5MPH over the posted limit is the lowest offense, then there is up to 10 over then up to 15 over. Anything beyond that adds reckless driving to the charges and a possible license suspension too :eek: But without enforcement it is meaningless, and enforcement here is so bad that you can't drive 10 minutes without seeing at least one (and often several) cars going at least 15 over :mad: Maybe 5-10% of us attempt to not exceed the speed limits while everyone else sees it as more a suggestion than a rule to obey :oops:

Most traffic signals here in SC have a 'delayed green' in which for one to a few seconds, all directions are red. Red-light cams are rare, count-down pedestrian signals uncommon, and you get only one solidly illuminated light color at a time; no warning of an imminent green or yellow, and only the solid yellow warning of an imminent red. I watch for the cross-traffic signal to go yellow so that I know mine will be green momentarily. I've always done this, as well as paying attention to how the lights are sequenced at major intersections where there are turning lights. At the intersections I frequent most I can tell you within 1/10th of a second when my green will begin :D

They've recently changed how left turns (crossing the oncoming lanes) are indicated at controlled intersections. For a left turn, if it shows solid green the oncoming traffic is all red and you shouldn't meet anyone making your turn, but if it is a blinking green the oncoming traffic has green too so you must cede ROW to them and wait for a break in that traffic till it's safe to make your turn. I don't think everyone understands that yet even though signs are posted explaining it :rolleyes: Before this you had a red-yellow-green arrow signal which was red if the oncoming traffic had green. The new system adds efficiency when the traffic situation allows it (y)

Phil

...Do NOT expect that...in the State of VA if you have out-of-state plates ...
I can personally attest to that as I was once the lucky 'lottery winner' by virtue of living further from VA than any other of the 15 or 20 cars doing exactly the same speed - LEO even said as much (the further away you live the less likely you are to fight the ticket). VA is now on my list of places to avoid if there is any way to do so.

Back