Headlight tinting film might be useful for dashcams.

For dust that hasn't made contact with water or moisture, a duster with its cleaning strands treated with wax is a boon for everyday cleaning. I believe it's available as the 'california duster' in the US.

The hype is as real as it gets when it comes to these. Indispensable IMO.

http://www.amazon.in/Jopasu-0000001050035-Car-Duster/dp/B00RJQ8XHU

https://www.amazon.com/gp/B00008RW9U

I'm getting the feeling that you are not appreciating what it is like living in a rural environment driving on dirt and gravel roadways every day. One would have to constantly be using a duster in what would amount to a losing battle. I keep my vehicle as clean as possible and wax it periodically but there are more pressing daily priorities for those of us who live out in the countryside. Some people wash their cars more often and some don't but dirty or muddy cars are often the norm here for those of us who don't live in town with only paved roads. I use a pressure washer at a local gas station to clean off my truck now and again. During the winter, there are similar but different issues involving road salt and dirt. In the screen shot above that started this discussion of dirty cars, please note that every single car in the food COOP parking lot is filthy on a bitter cold day in January a few days after a snow storm. Many of us drive into town to do our shopping from the surrounding farms and homes out in the woods and fields. That is just the way things are around here. :)

Last edited:
Oh, I just assumed it was a hardware situation. I didn't realize it was software. Thanks for the reply.

Actually, WDR is both a hardware thing AND a firmware thing. The processor in the camera has the WDR functionality built in and it is controlled by the firmware as a switchable option.

I was only suggesting a quick and very effective way to get rid of dust on the paint, whether one's inclined or has the time would vary as you've pointed out.

With the excessive amount of dust here in spite of the paved roads, it works wonderfully.

I was only suggesting a quick and very effective way to get rid of dust on the paint, whether one's inclined or has the time would vary as you've pointed out.

With the excessive amount of dust here in spite of the paved roads, it works wonderfully.

I understand and appreciate the suggestion. Just a few weeks ago I washed and waxed my truck. A few hours later when I went to leave, the truck already had a layer of dust on it. As I say, it's a losing battle, especially in this year of severe drought. It is quite unbelievable really. I have a pond on my property which is fed by a year-round stream and a spring. The stream has dried up and is no longer flowing and the pond level is down by more than eighteen inches!

Deep down I too know that it's a losing battle when it comes to dust, but if I can see it; I just can't ignore it. Believe it or not, if I start with the roof and finish dusting the entire car in say 4-5 minutes. By the time I'm done, there's already a layer starting to settle on the roof.

BTW.. I've always see a spanking clean and shiny hood in the pictures you post, meant no offence towards your detailing regime.

Deep down I too know that it's a losing battle when it comes to dust, but if I can see it; I just can't ignore it. Believe it or not, if I start with the roof and finish dusting the entire car in say 4-5 minutes. By the time I'm done, there's already a layer starting to settle on the roof.

BTW.. I've always see a spanking clean and shiny hood in the pictures you post, meant no offence towards your detailing regime.

Thanks! It's funny but sometimes the hood of my vehicle seems to look better on camera than it does in real life. :) Lately it's looking pretty foul under any circumstances. :(

And it's not just dust anymore, it's watermarks.

dirtyhood.jpg

That's a mess! With that kind of dust even for a few minutes, you'll need to wash/pressure wash the car anyway. No duster or waterless wash will work.

That's a mess! With that kind of dust even for a few minutes, you'll need to wash/pressure wash the car anyway. No duster or waterless wash will work.

Yeah, that's what I've been trying to explain. :)

Interestingly, we got some rain last night and for the time being everything is back to normal. A well maintained dirt road in good condition can be like driving on tarmac.

Actually, WDR is both a hardware thing AND a firmware thing. The processor in the camera has the WDR functionality built in and it is controlled by the firmware as a switchable option.

I started thinking about what you said and came to that conclusion. Software is nothing without Data,

I have driven like 80 km/h on Swedish dirt roads way up north over there, my Mitsubishi pickup felt like i was driving on soap.
But the 52 km long road from our camp into town was a pain at slow speed, not that the road was bad it just took so damn long.

It was not a place where you would want to wreck, cuz at the side of the dirt road you would find granite boulders / landscape ( trees not so much of a problem )

This was our camp site on our last trip to Sweden
https://www.google.dk/maps/@65.2632...6T1_MuAl_R-RyUANOn7g!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=da

Sadly no places like that here :(

Back