Heard of the Song "Purple Rain"...But! Purple Sky?

GordonR

Reaction score
Country
United States
I've had this camera system in my 2016 Ford F-350 since 2017. Every time I have looked at the video - the colors have always been nice and sharp, and accurate.

Yesterday, I did the firmware upgrade.

Rear camera video is perfectly normal.

Front looks like this.

Screenshot .jpg

I see two possibilities.

1. Camera is dying.

2. It's been about 108 degrees over the last 3 days. Camera and windshield is extremely hot.

Obviously, the first thing to do is go back to your earlier firmware see what it looks like and then try re-flashing the new software and see if that fixes it.

Otherwsie, it's likely a problem with your sensor or the ribbon cable that connects your lens sensor to the circuit board. Sometimes a cable can become dislodged. If you have some DIY skills it might be worth opening up the camera and seeing if the cable needs to be re-inserted into the connector. There will likely be a little locking lever that you flip up with your fingernail or a tweezers and then remove and reinsert the ribbon cable. If the camera is already toast, then you have nothing to lose from trying it. Otherwise you'll need a replacement camera, I think.

Last edited:
The DR 650S has been EOL'ed by BV so you'll get no help there :( Based on what I've read about from others having similar problems with their 650 it's likely a sensor failing but it's well worth reseating the cables as this is still a good cam and worth that much effort if you like it.You might get lucky but you won't know till you try ;)

Phil

You know? I bought this in May 2016. Here it is Aug 21. So, it lasted 5 years......That's better then some electronics I've had. Subjected to cold/hot. Time to retire it. Think I am going to go with a DR-750X-2Ch

Do firmware update again, even downgrade to previous version, download again! Verify power supply is adequate or perfect for the task at hand. Don't touch laptop while updating or start car, dont breath while updating. Remove from power 1 week then power up and check again, worth a shot too.
"Never give up, never surrender!"

My 50 years in electronics and FW updating to transmitters over $250K each, as well as 20 years in consumer servicing/ repairs and only a handful of failed updates.

Back