Heat and SD card troubles

brianman

Reaction score
Country
United States
I've got the (probably same) problem of mine overheating fairly often (partly due to summer, partly due to more driving generally). Is there any news/updates/workarounds on this? If it's the bitrate, it's becoming enough off a hassle that I'll probably just throttle mine down to something the doesn't cook. IIRC, the Blackvue folks chimed in and set it wasn't bitrate. Thoughts?

Secondly, twice now my SD card has gotten into "only recording 2 videos" mode. When I recognize it, I pop the card out and put it in my (Windows 8) PC. Windows tells me the card is troubled and offers to fix and then I'm all good again. Any idea what's going on with this? And is it also just heat related or something else?

Thanks.

brianman said:
I've got the (probably same) problem of mine overheating fairly often (partly due to summer, partly due to more driving generally). Is there any news/updates/workarounds on this? If it's the bitrate, it's becoming enough off a hassle that I'll probably just throttle mine down to something the doesn't cook. IIRC, the Blackvue folks chimed in and set it wasn't bitrate. Thoughts?

Secondly, twice now my SD card has gotten into "only recording 2 videos" mode. When I recognize it, I pop the card out and put it in my (Windows 8) PC. Windows tells me the card is troubled and offers to fix and then I'm all good again. Any idea what's going on with this? And is it also just heat related or something else?

Thanks.
Format it with the SD Formatter using the full erase and it will get better Sounds like the card is corrupted or even could be a fake What brand and speed is it

I got the very same one from Amazon myself and formatted it in to FAT32 and all was OK here in the UK, but driving it to Italy last month a few times the voice would say "please check the SD card" until I un plugged the camera and re plugged it in, and it would work OK still not sure why

Also Im sure the 64gig card is not a supported one but formatted to FAT32 seemed to of been recognised by my camera,

maybe time I went back to the 32gig?

brianman said:
That's a pretty easy one: It's clearly labled a micro SD labled "san disk".
Either they just can't survive many write cycles (on cheap devices like i have) or there are too many fake ones on amazon, who can not survive many write cycles.
i can't decide, but since i have now 3 similar broken 32GB microSD of this design (color, labled "sandisk", purchased via amazon, ebay and a big local electronics store) i just won't buy any of those in the future.
(on the other hand, none of the ones labled "samsung" ever let me down so far.)

^ Yep, Samsung Cards are beast. Samsung makes quality flash drives.

Thanks for the input. I'll try Samsung next time I buy.

For those that have had good luck with 64 GB flavors of Samsung, if there's a particular flavor of interest then a link would be appreciated.

Thanks again.

brianman said:
Thanks for the input. I'll try Samsung next time I buy.

For those that have had good luck with 64 GB flavors of Samsung, if there's a particular flavor of interest then a link would be appreciated.

Thanks again.

Why do you have to have a 64gig card anyway A 32 will do 9 hours of recording No one needs any more than that unless you are going to produce a You tube movie that goes forever.

I have used a Samsung 32 g for two years and it has been good I never watch any of the recordings unless something happens that requires attention.

It is after all a camera to record misdemeanours rather than produce watchable film.

Had a friend who went on a road trip years ago and kept sending movies of the road from somewhere to somewhere else Never seen anything so boring.

There is a test program for SD cards in one of the threads or you could Google it That card looks to be a genuine one but only the test will prove it.

Use what the camera is supposed to use and you shouldn't have any trouble Why do people have to push the boundaries and then grumble why things don't work as they should.

adorfer said:
brianman said:
That's a pretty easy one: It's clearly labled a micro SD labled "san disk".
Either they just can't survive many write cycles (on cheap devices like i have) or there are too many fake ones on amazon, who can not survive many write cycles.
i can't decide, but since i have now 3 similar broken 32GB microSD of this design (color, labled "sandisk", purchased via amazon, ebay and a big local electronics store) i just won't buy any of those in the future.
(on the other hand, none of the ones labled "samsung" ever let me down so far.)

The way you formatted it may have more to do with it than the make of the card However I would never buy one off Ebay as up to 95% are fakes apparently.

That card looks genuine as per here http://www.sandisk.com.au/products/memo ... s/microsd/

Again: It does not matter if those san disc cards i have and became defective after several month of usage in a) a chinese MTK phone b) in a Ambarella GS2000 and c) in a motorola defy+ were genuine or not: since i bought them all from different sources and (one even quite expensive from a leading retailer shop since i needed one instantly): For me it's not the source. Nor is it it the question if genuine or not: i have 3 of those 32GB cards, 100% of them fell of after longer usage. none of them could be revived by a "SD card formatter" (not the sdcard.org one, nor the panasonic one.)
Some format "o.k." but suffer from corruped file systems just days or even hours later.

And since none of my panasonic and samsung cards failed so far, for me the solution is easy.
But if you like to do some voodo by "purchasing from special sources" or "initally formatting on moon light with a very special gold plated usb cardreader": You may go for that. But it's not my game.

adorfer said:
Again: It does not matter if those san disc cards i have and became defective after several month of usage in a) a chinese MTK phone b) in a Ambarella GS2000 and c) in a motorola defy+ were genuine or not: since i bought them all from different sources and (one even quite expensive from a leading retailer shop since i needed one instantly): For me it's not the source. Nor is it it the question if genuine or not: i have 3 of those 32GB cards, 100% of them fell of after longer usage. none of them could be revived by a "SD card formatter" (not the sdcard.org one, nor the panasonic one.)
Some format "o.k." but suffer from corruped file systems just days or even hours later.

And since none of my panasonic and samsung cards failed so far, for me the solution is easy.
But if you like to do some voodo by "purchasing from special sources" or "initally formatting on moon light with a very special gold plated usb cardreader": You may go for that. But it's not my game.

Whatever grabs you. I only go from my own experience which doesn't include voodoo or moonlight or gold plated anything.

I have about half a dozen cards by different makers including SanDisk (Spelling) and all perform ok. They are in Fuji and Nikon digital cameras, a Sony camcorder 4 different Blackvue cameras and get used in the computer as well. All work equally well including a Bauhn one bought from Aldi.

However I have had more trouble with Micro to SD adapters than anything else when trying to format them so often it isn't the card but the adapter.

I have bought two of these (THE BLACK ONE) http://www.sandisk.com.au/products/memo ... lemate-duo and have had no trouble since using them.

Got caught with Ebay fakes with SD cards,Motorola Bluetooth headsets and Nikon batteries so don't buy stuff like that on there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hillbilly said:
Why do you have to have a 64gig card anyway A 32 will do 9 hours of recording No one needs any more than that unless you are going to produce a You tube movie that goes forever.

I have used a Samsung 32 g for two years and it has been good I never watch any of the recordings unless something happens that requires attention.

It is after all a camera to record misdemeanours rather than produce watchable film.

Had a friend who went on a road trip years ago and kept sending movies of the road from somewhere to somewhere else Never seen anything so boring.

There is a test program for SD cards in one of the threads or you could Google it That card looks to be a genuine one but only the test will prove it.

Use what the camera is supposed to use and you shouldn't have any trouble Why do people have to push the boundaries and then grumble why things don't work as they should.
I don't really get why you feel it's your role to demand how others use products. Personally I find it a little offensive.

My post was considered grumbling? You might want to recalibrate your sensors. You're quite a bit off the mark.

The camera is overheating. It and/or the card being used with it are misbehaving. Asking for more information to try to rectify the problem is considered "pushing the boundaries" and "grumbling"? Weird.

Perhaps you use it for misdemeanor analysis but that doesn't imply or require that others must only use it for that purpose.

As I said previously, assistance and information is appreciated but this post... well I really don't know how to react in a polite way to such things so I'll just stop here.

adorfer said:
This is great information. Thanks, adorfer.

Are your Panasonic and Samsung cards 32GB (or less) or do some of yours include the 64GB flavors?

Back