Heat Tolerance.....Blackvue vs. Viofo vs. Thinkware

woodturner

Reaction score
Country
United States
I would like to purchase a dashcam (my first) in the near future. I have been doing lots of reading and have been watching many YouTube videos on the topic. I think I have narrowed my search to three brands – Viofo, Thinkware and Blackvue.

It seems that heat (primarily during parking mode) is a frequent concern as so many dashcams will power down when overheated. I have read more about this sensitivity regarding Blackvue than of the other two brands. I live in Texas where the summer months get *very* hot, so it would be a concern.

One local retailer actually stopped offering the Blackvue 970 LTE as he had a couple of clients who had the sim card slot actually melt in the Texas sun. However, he did admit that both clients had used a reflective sunshade to protect the car’s interior. I would think that trapping the dashcam between such a sunshade and the windshield is a recipe for disaster in a hot climate.

I should note here that I am retired, so my car never sits in a parking lot for eight hours per day. As a general rule, my car is either in my garage or being driven. Visits to parking lots seldom last more than 2-3 hours maximum, with most being much briefer than that, perhaps averaging 30 minutes. I mention this as it provides some sense of my parking mode needs.

So, is Blackvue more prone to overheating than the other two? Should I eliminate Blackvue from consideration? Should I eliminate the Blackvue 970 LTE from consideration? Considering my parking mode needs, how concerned should I be with the heat issue and should this concern be leading me to any particular dashcam brand?

Thanks.

Hey there! Very sorry to hear the DR970 LTE has been overheating at a local shop! While this is definitely the first report of the SIM slot literally melting, I'm not too too surprised, for a few reasons. Yes, BlackVue does naturally run hotter than other brands, no two ways around that, plus the fact that the LTE is built into the camera adds a lot to the processing, and is the main reason the unit is bulkier than other BlackVue cameras. Beyond that, 4k models overall do naturally run hotter, and we've seen with even standard 4k BlackVue models, that added load takes a toll. What I'm trying to say, is it's a real combination for that situation. Also also, never use a sun reflector in the windshield with a dash cam, you could fry a small barbeque with that, let alone a dash cam, that's totally a factor.

Currently, we are seeing other heat concerns with the new A139 Pro, as it is trying to support 3 different feeds, along with using the SONY Starvis 2 top-of-the-line image sensor on the front unit, running at 4k.

My recommendation for high heat situations would 100% be Thinkware, no question. I've spoken to multiple people down south with Thinkware models, and especially their more premium ones really last well in the heat, designed for high-heat situations. Even the brand new models have gone further with this, adding a heat-blocking film so the mount doesn't absorb the heat and dissipates through the windshield, along with reworking their ventilation even further. That would be in the Q1000 and U3000.

Don't believe me? We have an older video turning up the heat on the Thinkware U1000 here:

Hopefully we'll get around to doing something similar for the new Thinkware models, but we're currently a bit hung up on the how part, with a more reliable testing setup, so if anyone has any better long-term heat test ideas, let us know!

Hopefully we'll get around to doing something similar for the new Thinkware models, but we're currently a bit hung up on the how part, with a more reliable testing setup, so if anyone has any better long-term heat test ideas, let us know!

Thanks very much for the comments!

The ideal dashcam for me would have the following features:

Must haves:
  • heat tolerance such that it's suitable for Texas summers
  • buffered parking mode
  • both motion and impact detection
  • 4K front + 2K rear (or better)
  • minimum 4 hours of parking mode without external battery (would seldom need more than that)
Might (as in, maybe...possibly) be willing to compromise if needed:
  • live remote viewing
  • ability to send phone notification in the event of impact
  • built-in cellular capability (something similar to the Blackvue 970 LTE)
  • the new Sony Starvis 2 sensor
  • HDR
  • decent app for cloud functions with some level of user friendliness
  • relatively small form factor (love the Blackvue)
See? I'm not asking for much! LOL. I realize that I will likely have to make some concessions, but I'd like to get relatively close. I really like the form factor of the Blackvue but it sounds as if the Thinkware U3000 will likely be a better fit for my climate. If the U3000 doesn't float my boat, I may have to wait it out for a while.

I've had no trouble at all in the summer with Viofo 2K cameras (though I appreciate you're leaning toward a more premium brand). Here in Tennessee summer is just getting started and it's already been 110°F inside the car after being parked outside for eight hours. In July and August it can reach over 130°F inside.

If anyone asked me what I must have in a camera my answer would be simple. 100% reliability in operation. Everything else is a bonus.

Last edited:
No problem! I can totally give a recommendation based off of the criteria listed.

To respond to what OldEastSider is saying first though, totally heard, Viofos classic units that aren't running as advanced a setup as the A139 Pro totally handle heat very very well in their own right, and are very well worth considering in high heat environments. Still, a lot of those advanced features you've described are a bit outside of VIOFO's ballpark.

From what you've described here, sounds like you're looking for the best of the best! For that, the brand-new Thinkware U3000 that came out last week would be my recommendation. While Thinkware has always been the standard for reliability and image quality, they've really stepped up and improved on their advanced features and software with this model. Let's break it down.

Image quality: It meets exactly what you're looking for, 4k front and 2k back, using that all-new SONY Starvis 2 on the front camera.
While we'd also love to see a 4k rear camera at some point, there really isn't a solid model on the market that is able to supply this at this point.

Parking mode: That's probably the biggest upgrade with this model, yes it totally has buffered parking mode like you're looking for, and even a VIOFO would be able to provide more than 4 hours of parking mode off an average car battery. Still, this unit goes above and beyond that, being the first unit to feature built-in radar sensors in the front and back, offering 1-2 days of parking mode instead.

Advanced Connectivity: What you've described are mainly cloud features, allowing for a remote connection, notifications, and so on, which this model can definitely do! Thinkware's cloud was previously a bit lacking with older models, but they've fully reworked it, it's much more user-friendly using a different app, very clean and friendly, with plenty of neat new additions.

Downsides: Unfortunately, HDR functionality is not compatible with the Ambarella H22A77 CPU the Thinkware U3000 is using.
There is not an option for built-in connectivity, and if you are looking to use the cloud feature, you'll be relying on an outside wifi source, like a mobile hotspot.
Form factor too, the rear camera is a bit wider than standard because of the built-in radar, and the front unit does have a bit larger of a faceplate. Still, we're finding that it does look rather clean once actually installed, for some hands-on with the unit, check out our new install video released 5 days ago here:

I could go on and on, about some of the cloud additions, and the new heat-related smart parking mode, but this is already too long as is . Let me know if you have any questions

From what you've described here, sounds like you're looking for the best of the best! For that, the brand-new Thinkware U3000 that came out last week would be my recommendation. While Thinkware has always been the standard for reliability and image quality, they've really stepped up and improved on their advanced features and software with this model.

Agreed. My first inclination was a U1000 and then, as I began to learn more about dashcams, I began to favor the Blackvue, and then over time the A139 Pro began to earn my respect. However, after learning of the heat issues with some of these, I have come full circle except now I know of the release of the U3000. I wish it were more compact, although it's larger relative size is probably one of the reasons it seems to work better in very hot climates. I'm disappointed that, in order to get cloud functionality while in a parking lot, I would need to purchase (and power) a hotspot. Ugh. Don't know that I'll ever do that as it creates for me more problems than it solves.

That being said, when looking at the big picture, the U3000 is probably the best solution for me currently.

Thanks very much for your insight and your willingness to help!

Agreed. My first inclination was a U1000 and then, as I began to learn more about dashcams, I began to favor the Blackvue, and then over time the A139 Pro began to earn my respect. However, after learning of the heat issues with some of these, I have come full circle except now I know of the release of the U3000. I wish it were more compact, although it's larger relative size is probably one of the reasons it seems to work better in very hot climates. I'm disappointed that, in order to get cloud functionality while in a parking lot, I would need to purchase (and power) a hotspot. Ugh. Don't know that I'll ever do that as it creates for me more problems than it solves.

That being said, when looking at the big picture, the U3000 is probably the best solution for me currently.

Thanks very much for your insight and your willingness to help!
No problem at all! I'm glad we agree.

Powering the hotspot can be a bit difficult, but some hotspots do have an internal battery. You can get a USB battery, or even a dedicated battery pack, with most modern battery packs having a USB port to connect the hotspot, powering the camera and hotspot together.

I'll leave it there though, if you have more questions feel free to reach out!

@BlackboxMyCar I can't believe you dug up a "beat the heat" video from the vault.
I miss those so much. lol
Why not buy an old household electric oven off kijiji for $100 and convert it for use with beat the heat videos?
That way you don't have to faff with the heat gun attached to the fish tank.
I see all kinds of comedic opportunities using the timer, and setting the temp.
Maybe even guest celebrity chef cameos, Julia Child, Gordon Ramsey, Yan Can Cook, etc.
Did I mention my dream vacation is a 2 week unpaid BBMC intership?
Maybe that could be one of my projects. lol

@woodturner Why not buy two U3000 units, and use the 4K "main" units for front & rear.
And use the 2K "rear" units for left & right.

@woodturner Why not buy two U3000 units, and use the 4K "main" units for front & rear.

The primary reason is that I don't feel a need to have four cams. Yours is not a bad idea but two will suit me just fine, I'm sure. Additionally, I have a 4 month old car that has a stunningly beautiful interior and I don't want clutter.

I don't want clutter.
My cars are 13, and 19 years old. I don’t like clutter either. Lol
Here’s a 4-channel parking lot demo;

Here’s how to keep the wiring clutter free;

install was labor intensive
Installing dash cam wiring behind trim panels, and headliners so no trace of wiring can be seen is literally a pain in the rear.
That’s why locals are willing to pay @BlackboxMyCar top dollar for clean “invisible” installs in their $$$,$$$ cars.
The industry heavily suggests just stuffing the wires in the cracks & crevices with the included plastic spudger tool / pry bar.
Often there are sharp corners, and sheet metal in those locations.
I prefer to remove all panels, and secure all wiring in place so it does not get damaged from chaffing, while the car is rumbling down the road.
Just like how the vehicle manufacturer installs factory wiring.
Fortunately it’s one of those things you only have to do once every few years, so it’s almost worth the scrapes, cuts, and bloody knuckles you’ll earn in the process. Lol
Here’s my wiring tip video;

@BlackboxMyCar I can't believe you dug up a "beat the heat" video from the vault.
I miss those so much. lol
Why not buy an old household electric oven off kijiji for $100 and convert it for use with beat the heat videos?
That way you don't have to faff with the heat gun attached to the fish tank.
I see all kinds of comedic opportunities using the timer, and setting the temp.
Maybe even guest celebrity chef cameos, Julia Child, Gordon Ramsey, Yan Can Cook, etc.
Did I mention my dream vacation is a 2 week unpaid BBMC intership?
Maybe that could be one of my projects. lol

I love the creativity! I think Ramsay may be a bit outside of our budget, but I'd totally want to put a comedic spin on it :D, maybe give Joseph a lil chef hat as we cook up a dash cam, extra crispy.

maybe give Joseph a lil chef hat as we cook up a dash cam, extra crispy.
Dress + Wig + Grayson = Julia Child / Mrs. Doubtfire
Orange Polo + Smartphone Belt Holster + Broseph = Uncle Roger

Attachments

• Uncle Roger & Auntie Esther .png
    Uncle Roger & Auntie Esther .png
    2.3 MB · Views: 3
  • Julia Child .png
    Julia Child .png
    1.4 MB · Views: 4
  • Mrs. Doubtfire .png
    Mrs. Doubtfire .png
    1.8 MB · Views: 4