Heat Weakening Tape bond on mount side?

Unknown1

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm having some issues keeping my A119 properly adhered to the windshield.

The tape stays on the windshield but in a moderately hot day (high 80's, direct sun for most of the day), I have been greeted by a dangling dashcam when hopping in my car to head home for the evening. The removable plastic piece stays very firmly attached to the camera.

I was wondering if there was some way to increase the strength of the bond between the plastic of the mounting piece and the tape? Should I be using something other than the tape included with the Viofo A119 dashcam?

Thanks y'all!

When/Where did you purchase? Contact your seller for replacement tape if you don't have any left. (1 spare piece should be in the box)

It's possible the mount side of the adhesive still had out-gassing and contaminated the original applied VHB.

When you apply 3M VHB to the window, hold the bracket firmly against the glass for around 2 minutes, then wait 20 minutes before you attach the heavy wire. The tape has a 50% bond after 20 minutes, 100% bond takes 72 hours, if you put the camera on earlier than 20 minutes there's an increased chance it will fall off after a while. This rule generally applies to the window side though.

When/Where did you purchase? Contact your seller for replacement tape if you don't have any left. (1 spare piece should be in the box)

It's possible the mount side of the adhesive still had out-gassing and contaminated the original applied VHB.

When you apply 3M VHB to the window, hold the bracket firmly against the glass for around 2 minutes, then wait 20 minutes before you attach the heavy wire. The tape has a 50% bond after 20 minutes, 100% bond takes 72 hours, if you put the camera on earlier than 20 minutes there's an increased chance it will fall off after a while. This rule generally applies to the window side though.
I bought it on Amazon a few weeks ago. I used the taller plastic mount piece for optimal clearance with the A119 + CPL. The tape was pre-applied to the plastic. After it separated it looked like there were 2 thin lines of maybe some kind of glue applied before it was originally stuck on.

Is 3M VHB the recommended tape to use? What about the 'extreme' version?

Which seller on Amazon? If it was OCD Tronic I'll send you new tape. It usually holds good. If you get the extreme stuff might be very difficult to fully remove later on.

Be careful playing around with glue, especially super glue. The fumes will permanently fog the lens.

To solve similar issue i just put a little cyano glue on the mount part before i pressed it back on the dual sided tape on the windscreen, have not moved a hair since then.

Off course dont have camera on mount, best to keep that and lens away from cyano glue fumes while it harden.

One.. issue that is often overlooked is that you are putting a flat piece of plastic onto a curved windshield. Thus the glue (double sided tape) is only really touching the outside edges leaving the center not touching at all. Look at the contact from the outside, if you can see air bubbles you are not getting 100% contact.

To get better contact.. remove all the glue /tape and with a file remove some material from the ends. Dry fit until you get the middle touching the glass.. or, if the curvature is excessive.. perhaps adding a small sliver of double sided tape to the center section and then a full strip will fill the void and give better contact.

One.. issue that is often overlooked is that you are putting a flat piece of plastic onto a curved windshield. Thus the glue (double sided tape) is only really touching the outside edges leaving the center not touching at all.

Hey ... nice pickup, that.

I'd prefer the sticky mount rather than the suction cup, cause they inevitably keep falling off, twice already and it's only Winter .. but anyway .. is there a way to improve the suction cups stick .. say, by applying a smear of Silicone?

Will this work .. and being soft .. be easy to scrape off with a blade or steel wool?

Any ideas?

Also .. how difficult is it to get the sticky off that is used for the ... err .. stick on method?
What do folks use .. I mean that works well?

Last edited:
Is there a way to release the air void between the double sided tape and the windshield glass? I have the gps mount from the Viofo dash cam adhered to the windshield almost a week but the air in the center still could not come out.

Is it possible to use a hair dryer or a heat gun to warm up the glass from outside of the windshield glass in order to release the air void?

It is winter in Canada and I believe the double sided tape cures slowly.

Thanks.

Back