Hello! Drive Pro 200 Questions

Always Up

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
Transcend DrivePro 200
I just got my drivepro 200, overall, its very well built and the quality and interface

is impeccable, and for only $120, I wonder why it isn't more highly rated, I'm pretty certain it's much higher quality build than the mobius/0803 no name cameras.

Anyways, I have a couple questions;

I am aware of the capacitor losing charge in about 4 days, which requires the date and time to be adjusted (going back to default settings), which is fine, as long as it still records as soon as it turns on. Does it? or does it only go to that "turn on, start recording" mode after you set the time/date?

My second question is, the default setting is having the time stamp on the video, and since I already do not care about time( as long as the camera records when it turns on), is there a way to tweak the firmware so the default settings after the camera loses charge are: timestamp OFF, g sensor DISABLED. I do not want a timestamp as if the video was ever used in court, the wrong time and date may be used against me

This way, the drivepro 200 would really be "set and forget" until you need it, and the perfect dash cam for me, otherwise, having to actually set it to the correct time and date every time it loses charge in order to just have it record and perform its basic function would be very annoying.

Also, I just realized, and maybe this isn't as much of a problem since wifi isnt common on dash cams, I still feel it is a major security loophole that the network name and password are unchangeable and the same for all drivepro 200's, someone who caused an accident and see's the drivepro 200 (it's not very inconspicuous) may just download the app and log in and delete the footage while the police show up. (Yes, that's highly unlikely)

Also, I just realized, and maybe this isn't as much of a problem since wifi isnt common on dash cams, I still feel it is a major security loophole that the network name and password are unchangeable and the same for all drivepro 200's, someone who caused an accident and see's the drivepro 200 (it's not very inconspicuous) may just download the app and log in and delete the footage while the police show up. (Yes, that's highly unlikely)
You can change the SSID and password - just connect using the defaults to your smartphone app and then you can change them in the settings. At least this works in the Android app.

I just installed the dashcam. you can read the guide here http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/cayenne-958/352101-dash-cam-installation-guide-w-pics.html

And to answer my own question, the settings are saved, even if the capacitor loses charge. You only lose the date/time settings, which is fine for me as I set my timestamp off (also, the time/date syncs everytime you connect your phone via the app).

This makes me feel the drive pro 200 is very underrated , it costs only 20-40 bucks more than the no name ones and you get a solid dash cam with the wifi feature. The page for the drivepro 200 made the capacitor losing charge issue seem like a big deal, and I guess for some it might be, but I feel if you keep the timestamp off, its not even a problem

The page for the drivepro 200 made the capacitor losing charge issue seem like a big deal, and I guess for some it might be, but I feel if you keep the timestamp off, its not even a problem

although you don't embed the time and date in your videos your file date will be wrong once it resets, would that get argued against in court, possibly, perhaps why it was made out to be a big deal

although you don't embed the time and date in your videos your file date will be wrong once it resets, would that get argued against in court, possibly, perhaps why it was made out to be a big deal
That is very true, but once you download video or transfer it to a computer, the file creation date changes anyways, so I do not think the wrong file creation date will be of consequence. In most circumstances, it would be hard to dispute, say, the person intentionally jumping on your hood and claiming injury, even if the file creation date may not be exact.

I may be wrong, but this date/time problem may be inherent with most capacitor dash cams, but I do not see that issue being raised in say, the g1w-C page.

In any case, if it is really important, it is not hard to just tap the app on your phone, after which the dash cam will automatically sync the time and date to your phone.

It all depends on how much weight you put into how much more reliable a capacitor design is over battery based ones.

That is very true, but once you download video or transfer it to a computer, the file creation date changes anyways

can't say I've seen the same here, date created stays the same, date modified is updated when copying though

so I do not think the wrong file creation date will be of consequence. In most circumstances, it would be hard to dispute, say, the person intentionally jumping on your hood and claiming injury, even if the file creation date may not be exact.

in that scenario sure, if you were trying to fight a red light ticket or similar though and your evidence is dated 6 months differently to the event I'd imagine you could have a problem explaining the technicalities of capacitor versus battery dashcams to the powers that be

I may be wrong, but this date/time problem may be inherent with most capacitor dash cams, but I do not see that issue being raised in say, the g1w-C page.

in some yes, it's not in all

In any case, if it is really important, it is not hard to just tap the app on your phone, after which the dash cam will automatically sync the time and date to your phone.

I'd probably get into the habit of doing this to keep things in check

It all depends on how much weight you put into how much more reliable a capacitor design is over battery based ones.

caps are definitely the better option

Back