Hello from Adelaide, South Australia

Happytodd

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hello fellow members,

My name is Todd Drexel, I've been doing some research on the BlackVue dash cams and so I have decided to become a member here.

My parents own one of the first BlackVues including a lipstick camera connected to a DVR.

I'm focusing on getting myself a dash cam for my vehicle and have my eyes set on the BlackVue DR550GW-2ch, before I do make the purchase I want to make sure a new firmware update come out with increased bitrate as the videos I have sen are extremely pixelated!

Thanks again! :)

I don't think Blackvue have a great track record when it comes to firmware improvements, if it doesn't happen then you're likely to be stuck with the pixelated results they deliver now, they must be working on an update for this model as reports from end users suggest the update they just released has been burning out the rear cameras so I'd expect they'd want to sort that out pretty quickly

Personally if your set on one of these I'd hang off until the next firmware comes out and see if they offer any improvements or its just bug fixes

Oh
I don't think Blackvue have a great track record when it comes to firmware improvements, if it doesn't happen then you're likely to be stuck with the pixelated results they deliver now, they must be working on an update for this model as reports from end users suggest the update they just released has been burning out the rear cameras so I'd expect they'd want to sort that out pretty quickly

Personally if your set on one of these I'd hang off until the next firmware comes out and see if they offer any improvements or its just bug fixes
Oh, there's been reports of the rear camera burning out? Havn't read that yet, only that the coaxial connector for thereaf can get damaged as its very fragile.

I've read there's a few Russians working on a custom firmware also.
I'm not particularly in a hurry to get a camera just yet, won't be getting my license back until February I'm afraid!

If you have time to wait then best to wait it out and see what they do with the product, I think its been less than a stellar performer so far unfortunately, I think at the asking price it should certainly do a lot better

Perhaps they'll improve things by the time you're ready to purchase

I too was excited about BlackVue's bell's and whistles WiFi features when I first started researching earlier this year. I gave up the desire to buy BlackView after seeing how low the bitrate continued to be even after newer firmware updatse. The "Custom" unofficial home brew firmware was a bit dodgy so I passed. Maybe BlackView will finally get it right in 2014 we'll see.

I'm pretty happy with my Vicovation WF1 for now. It also has WiFi and iOS/Android support. (but no GPS) My non-Vicovation rear cam has a GPS logger so that's good enough for me for now.

Back