Hello from an IT/security camera guy, learning the dashcam world.

Razer

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
SG9665GC V1
Hello all, in the USA here, and I've lurked here from time to time but just received my first dash cam as a gift so it was time to join as I can tell this is right up my alley already.

I work in IT, and one of my main focuses is in the security area for my company, I am in charge of the entire camera system for my company, I handle purchasing, setting up, maintenance, and even some of the installing of our systems. I currently manage 76 separate DVR/NVR systems spread over several hundred miles at separate locations, and I have 1,000 cameras or so right now, all managed from one location. I need to recount them some day when I have time. I use analog and IP cameras, and use IP much more than analog if at all possible.

I use several brands of camera and am familiar with many, know the firmware and the ins and outs of a lot of cameras needless to say. I have a pretty good handle on the technical aspects of the dash cam world, and know what I want and what to look for at least. Looking forward to learning more and hopefully getting a few to test out over time. I'd love to set up my companies fleet with cameras one day, that would be great and I know the company would love as we already have realtime GPS tracking, video as needed would be awesome.

I like driving, and decided to get a camera for the fun of it, maybe sharing a driving video or two of some fun roads around here, and you never know when that video could really help in an accident.

Glad to be here, any questions feel free to ask!

Hello all, in the USA here, and I've lurked here from time to time but just received my first dash cam as a gift so it was time to join as I can tell this is right up my alley already.

I work in IT, and one of my main focuses is in the security area for my company, I am in charge of the entire camera system for my company, I handle purchasing, setting up, maintenance, and even some of the installing of our systems. I currently manage 76 separate DVR/NVR systems spread over several hundred miles at separate locations, and I have 1,000 cameras or so right now, all managed from one location. I need to recount them some day when I have time. I use analog and IP cameras, and use IP much more than analog if at all possible.

I use several brands of camera and am familiar with many, know the firmware and the ins and outs of a lot of cameras needless to say. I have a pretty good handle on the technical aspects of the dash cam world, and know what I want and what to look for at least. Looking forward to learning more and hopefully getting a few to test out over time. I'd love to set up my companies fleet with cameras one day, that would be great and I know the company would love as we already have realtime GPS tracking, video as needed would be awesome.

I like driving, and decided to get a camera for the fun of it, maybe sharing a driving video or two of some fun roads around here, and you never know when that video could really help in an accident.

Glad to be here, any questions feel free to ask!

Welcome to forum.
Your IT and DVR / NVR / CCTV experience will be valuable.

What is your impression of your first dashcam ( what model, brand name ) ?

I received this dash cam as a present from my wife, it's an inexpensive GS8000L camera and I've only had it installed for a couple of days so it's early. My first impression was actually very good, as I was not expecting great quality but really for the money the camera preforms better than I expected. I have yet to test night views where I expect it will not do nearly as well, but for something to play with and learn some basics on I'm pleased. As is expected at the price basically nothing is perfect, but overall considering the cost I'm happy, plus its a gift so how could I not be happy right? I'm most happy with the overall viewing angle captured in my car, its almost ideal really so that is it's best feature for me anyway.

I drive a Fiat 500 Abarth, so not much mounting room, but great views out and almost no hood to be seen! My install cabling should also be easier as nothing is very far from anything else! :) Good test for audio too as it has the best exhaust note ever on a small car I swear.

For me, an ideal camera would have great image quality first, and stellar reliability second. (I'll be moving to a cap based unit I'm sure eventually) I do not require a screen, but I'm fine if it has one, and I actually really don't want GPS. I'd prefer the cost go to image and build quality more than anything else. Covert and stealthy install would also be nice as I'd prefer it just leave it mounted and break ins are rare, but why tempt someone when I travel? At work I park under a security camera, and at home I have a gate and 15 outside security cameras, and 9 of those are 3mp cameras lol. I'm interested in multi camera systems and wireless communication also, I'd love to test those out one day too.

Welcome Razer.

I like IP cams too, i just got a good deal on a core / bord camera with the Aptina 0331 sensor, it look tempting but then i would allso neet a NAS to offload footage on, and i cant afford that as i am jobless at the moment,

Would love to replace the 4 analog cameras in my apartment with 1080P IP cams, but that would be expensive not least as one of the cams are PTZ.

Yes, those PTZ cameras start adding up in cost very quickly! I've used Axis, Vivotek, and ACTi cameras a lot, along with several other brands. Here lately I've been using the Hikvision 3mp cameras and am truly amazed at how we'll they work, for $160 usd they are better than many of the $300 1mp cameras. At home my 3mp cameras are ACTi and the hikvision are better than those and they cost twice as much!

I just ordered 14 more today actually, and I custom order my analogs as I purchase 50-100 cameras at a time there. Lots of fun until lightning kills 10-15 cameras at a time, that gets old quick!

I'm mostly happy (except for the over-sharpening & Polaroid filter) w/ the quality of my 2 Finevu Pros that I switch between 4 cars... very compact package also

Back