Hello from Oxfordshire

Peter_R

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
Thinkware U1000 Front and rear cameras with radar module
Just a quick introduction. I have run many dash cameras for the last 16 years including Mobius front and rear. Also, a Ddpai M6+ that failed after 10 months with Amazon refunding the cost. I have had 2 x Lucas QVIA one being a 2 channel and the other a single channel. One (AR790WD single-channel failed and I had it replaced by the supplier with a AR 790S. Despite having received a replacement 790S that was supposed to be bug-free it gave me reboot problems on cards other than the stock 16gb card. Most of these were on BMWs.
I have just had fitted (by a close friend installer) a 4k Thinkware U1000 with the radar module on a 2020 LCI X1 xDrive 2.0i M Sport. I am using 2 x Delkin ADVANTAGE MicroSD UHS-1 Memory cards (DDMSDW660128) 128GB as well as the stock Thinkware 64gb card that came with it.

I am also running a Speed Cheetah C550 speed and red light camera detector, that I purchased before safety camera databases were routinely integrated into many dashcams.
This is a great community with a plethora of information provided by enthusiastic members.:)

Last edited:

kamkar

Reaction score
Country
Denmark
Dash Cam
10 years, many dashcams
Welcome to the forum Peter.

OP
Peter_R

Peter_R

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
Thank you gentlemen.:):)

Ipol

Reaction score
Country
France
Dash Cam
Lukas LK7900. V2000GS dual front and rear dashcam
Welcome to the forum Peter I am familiar with the Lucas dashcams having owned several that I have passed on to family members I am currently runining the QVIA 2 channel ... You will find expert help and advice from the members of this forum .....

Paul Iddon

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
A129 Pro Duo 4K, A129+ Duo, A119 V3, NB 522GW & 622GW
OP
Peter_R

Peter_R

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
Welcome to the forum Peter I am familiar with the Lucas dashcams having owned several that I have passed on to family members I am currently runining the QVIA 2 channel ... You will find expert help and advice from the members of this forum .....
Thank you for your kind offer, but I have no need for help with them anymore. If you read my post again, I said I have had (past tense). I left them in the cars when I sold them.
I now have a Thinkware U1000 fitted with its Radar module to my current car.

SawMaster

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
Numerous and ever-changing
I'm not a Thinkware fan, but the U1000 is a better choice than many.

Phil

OP
Peter_R

Peter_R

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
I'm not a Thinkware fan, but the U1000 is a better choice than many.

Phil
After having had grief with both QVIA dashcams, where the supplier in the UK was less than helpful, I needed to look at another manufacturer with good UK support. I have a friend in my area who travels round garages and fits reversing cameras, dashcams etc and he showed me his after a family friend had one fitted after a garage damaged her Discovery.
The u1000 fitted the bill with a trade price and mates rates and after seeing the reviews and doing research, for me it was fine. I do realise that everyone has different needs. But there you go, it suits me and the 4k detail suits my situation with me having a 4k laptop and a self build PC (I am ex IT) with a 32" QHD monitor.
Regards
Peter

kamkar

Reaction score
Country
Denmark
Dash Cam
10 years, many dashcams
Cheapest 4K laptop ( 17 " screen ) here is a MSI costing 2600 AUD
Core i7 7700HQ / 2.8 GHz, Windows 10, 16 GB RAM, 512 GB SSD NVMe + 2 TB HDD, 17.3" 3840 x 2160 (Ultra HD 4K), GF GTX 1060, 802.11ac, Bluetooth
Now with a GTX 1060 you will have problems gaming at 4K even if you really dial back GFX settings in the game.

If you really like a work station like the Dell precision mobile workstation 7740, you have to cough up A LOT more money :eek: 6650 AUD
Core i9 9880H / 2.3 GHz, Win 10 Pro 64-bit, 16 GB RAM, 512 GB SSD NVMe, 17.3" 3840 x 2160 (Ultra HD 4K), Quadro RTX 4000, Bluetooth, Wi-Fi, vPro

jokiin

Manufacturer
Reaction score
Country
Australia
Dash Cam
Too many ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I'd want something smaller than a 17" screen though (not that it's an option right now anyway), I don't like traveling with large laptops, and don't need one when I'm not traveling

kamkar

Reaction score
Country
Denmark
Dash Cam
10 years, many dashcams
Dut do 4K make sense with a screen that small ?
For me the 13" screen on my 1080p laptop are extremely small, i do not want to do anything on it in smaller windows, at least not without putting on my reading glasses and move 30 CM closer to the screen.

kamkar

Reaction score
Country
Denmark
Dash Cam
10 years, many dashcams
And i am not looking forward to when i have to use that laptop, only got it as i need something to be online with while i move my hardware to its new home, and that is going to take a while as it is a custom home so pretty much no plug and play at all with custom cooling and wires ASO.
Only got that laptop as i agreed with my sister than when i am done with it she will buy it to replace her old 1 or maybe 2 core semperon laptop that is OMG slow.

kamkar

Reaction score
Country
Denmark
Dash Cam
10 years, many dashcams
Well if you of all people have a need to view 4K footage,,,,,,, that sort of let a cat out of a bag ;)

OP
Peter_R

Peter_R

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
what sort of laptop do you have with a 4k display, something you can recommend?
Things have moved on in the world since I purchased my HP x360 Convertible 13 -ac. I purchased it because I wanted something to use on the go when I was travelling and on holiday in the Dominican Republic for 2 months at a time. I would not recommend one model over another because we all have different needs. I suggest you look around the market and see what you want and fancy.

mcaf123

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
SG9663DC
I'd want something smaller than a 17" screen though (not that it's an option right now anyway), I don't like traveling with large laptops, and don't need one when I'm not traveling
Dell XPS 15 7590 has a 4K screen

Sent from my SM-A715F using Tapatalk

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D Introductions 6
E Introductions 9
F Introductions 2
M Introductions 10
P Introductions 5