Hello from Oxfordshire

Peter_R

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
Thinkware U1000 Front and rear cameras with radar module
Just a quick introduction. I have run many dash cameras for the last 16 years including Mobius front and rear. Also, a Ddpai M6+ that failed after 10 months with Amazon refunding the cost. I have had 2 x Lucas QVIA one being a 2 channel and the other a single channel. One (AR790WD single-channel failed and I had it replaced by the supplier with a AR 790S. Despite having received a replacement 790S that was supposed to be bug-free it gave me reboot problems on cards other than the stock 16gb card. Most of these were on BMWs.
I have just had fitted (by a close friend installer) a 4k Thinkware U1000 with the radar module on a 2020 LCI X1 xDrive 2.0i M Sport. I am using 2 x Delkin ADVANTAGE MicroSD UHS-1 Memory cards (DDMSDW660128) 128GB as well as the stock Thinkware 64gb card that came with it.

I am also running a Speed Cheetah C550 speed and red light camera detector, that I purchased before safety camera databases were routinely integrated into many dashcams.
This is a great community with a plethora of information provided by enthusiastic members.:)

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum Peter.

Thank you gentlemen.:):)

Welcome to the forum Peter I am familiar with the Lucas dashcams having owned several that I have passed on to family members I am currently runining the QVIA 2 channel ... You will find expert help and advice from the members of this forum .....

Welcome to the forum Peter I am familiar with the Lucas dashcams having owned several that I have passed on to family members I am currently runining the QVIA 2 channel ... You will find expert help and advice from the members of this forum .....
Thank you for your kind offer, but I have no need for help with them anymore. If you read my post again, I said I have had (past tense). I left them in the cars when I sold them.
I now have a Thinkware U1000 fitted with its Radar module to my current car.

I'm not a Thinkware fan, but the U1000 is a better choice than many.

Phil

I'm not a Thinkware fan, but the U1000 is a better choice than many.

Phil
After having had grief with both QVIA dashcams, where the supplier in the UK was less than helpful, I needed to look at another manufacturer with good UK support. I have a friend in my area who travels round garages and fits reversing cameras, dashcams etc and he showed me his after a family friend had one fitted after a garage damaged her Discovery.
The u1000 fitted the bill with a trade price and mates rates and after seeing the reviews and doing research, for me it was fine. I do realise that everyone has different needs. But there you go, it suits me and the 4k detail suits my situation with me having a 4k laptop and a self build PC (I am ex IT) with a 32" QHD monitor.
Regards
Peter

Cheapest 4K laptop ( 17 " screen ) here is a MSI costing 2600 AUD
Core i7 7700HQ / 2.8 GHz, Windows 10, 16 GB RAM, 512 GB SSD NVMe + 2 TB HDD, 17.3" 3840 x 2160 (Ultra HD 4K), GF GTX 1060, 802.11ac, Bluetooth
Now with a GTX 1060 you will have problems gaming at 4K even if you really dial back GFX settings in the game.

If you really like a work station like the Dell precision mobile workstation 7740, you have to cough up A LOT more money :eek: 6650 AUD
Core i9 9880H / 2.3 GHz, Win 10 Pro 64-bit, 16 GB RAM, 512 GB SSD NVMe, 17.3" 3840 x 2160 (Ultra HD 4K), Quadro RTX 4000, Bluetooth, Wi-Fi, vPro

I'd want something smaller than a 17" screen though (not that it's an option right now anyway), I don't like traveling with large laptops, and don't need one when I'm not traveling

Dut do 4K make sense with a screen that small ?
For me the 13" screen on my 1080p laptop are extremely small, i do not want to do anything on it in smaller windows, at least not without putting on my reading glasses and move 30 CM closer to the screen.

And i am not looking forward to when i have to use that laptop, only got it as i need something to be online with while i move my hardware to its new home, and that is going to take a while as it is a custom home so pretty much no plug and play at all with custom cooling and wires ASO.
Only got that laptop as i agreed with my sister than when i am done with it she will buy it to replace her old 1 or maybe 2 core semperon laptop that is OMG slow.

Well if you of all people have a need to view 4K footage,,,,,,, that sort of let a cat out of a bag ;)

what sort of laptop do you have with a 4k display, something you can recommend?
Things have moved on in the world since I purchased my HP x360 Convertible 13 -ac. I purchased it because I wanted something to use on the go when I was travelling and on holiday in the Dominican Republic for 2 months at a time. I would not recommend one model over another because we all have different needs. I suggest you look around the market and see what you want and fancy.

I'd want something smaller than a 17" screen though (not that it's an option right now anyway), I don't like traveling with large laptops, and don't need one when I'm not traveling
Dell XPS 15 7590 has a 4K screen

Sent from my SM-A715F using Tapatalk

Back