Hello From Virginia

Tiewunon

Reaction score
Country
United States
Not sure where to post this. My wife wants a dash camera. I am not tech savvy at all read kind of like a pig looking at a wrist watch.
Went looking at cameras yesterday and was lost as soon as they started talking gigabytes 16, 32, 64, 128. How much do you really need? Dont these devices just start over writing the oldest files.
Can someone please point me in the right direction.
Thanks
V/R
Jeff

Welcome :)

This is a good place to start: https://dashcamtalk.com/best-dash-cams-of-2019/

But you might also have to ask some basics, which can be done here if you want.

The gigabytes is about how long the recording will be retained before being overwritten, personally I like to have a full day's driving retained so that I don't need to worry about making sure something important is saved in the middle of the day. Typically 64GB is enough for an 8 hour day for a single lens camera, a dual camera will want twice as much. If she only drives for 1 hour a day then you could go for less, but a 64GB Samsung Evo Select card on Amazon does not cost much.

Welcome to the forum Jeff.

I personally feel 64 gigabytes are ideal for storage with a dashcam with just 1 camera that will give you around 8 hours of recording before it is full and automatic start to delete the oldest stuff to make room for new recordings.
One thing to remember is with a big memory card it take longer to fill up and so it should last longer than a similar smaller card that due to a smaller size go faster thru the fixed number of read / write cycles you can expect from a memory card.
It is also recommended to go for a decent brand from a reputable seller, saving a few dollars to get some weird card shipped from some far away country can be a very bad idea.
And do also recall, a dashcam & memory card no matter the prize and brand are not set and forget, a smart person would look over the card now and then and sample ( see if they cam play on the computer ) #1 And last file in drive sessions and some random files, a 64 GB card should take no more than 5 minutes to look over.

And it is the wife, its not wise to go cheap on those if they find out :giggle:

Thanks to each of you responding. I have a bit of clarity now on what I believe my wife needs.
Kamkar1 concerning the wife comment. You sir are spot on. I typically just revert to Rule 1 of the Salt Mines..."Whatever makes her happy tickles me to death".
Very Respectfully,
Jeff

Never had a wife, and its +35 years since i got a GF for a short while, but i know how things work.

Pretty universal, if i give my all, i expect to get the same back, otherwise i will have to contemplate my options and involvement.
And when it come to people i see often i want to give my all.

Back