Help ! Action Camera mounted in car can't see thru the front screen !

AngryArowana

Reaction score
Country
Australia
hello all,need some help or advise of how I could get the camera to record better thru the front screen.

I have the camera mounted inside of the car on the back windscreen facing towards the driver & thru the front windscreen,however due to the sunlight (or difference in lights) the camera could only see good on the inside of the car.

I'm just wondering if there are anything I could do to make the footage better instead of mounting it on the front windscreen ?

Sorry I couldn't put words together to describe it the right way,I have the link of the footage & it will put a better explanation to it.

SJcam M10+ recorded on 1080.

Thank you.

get a second camera and mount it on the windscreen, you'll find it next to impossible to get decent results mounted there

Setting the camera to spot metering should give a huge improvement, but the only way you will get a really good result is to wait until the sun goes behind some clouds and then add some lighting to the inside of the car!

What camera is it?

M10+

spot might help get a view out of the window but will probably then darken everything else, maybe a model that has an exposure lock could work better for this, not sure, bit of trial and error I guess

Exposure lock doesn't work for a racetrack, half the time you are looking into the sun and half the time away from the sun, the exposure needs to change continuously.

I read it twice looking for the camera! Can see it now. Don't think the M10+ has much in the way of exposure control, might benefit from a bit of -EV but then half the race track will look a little dark.

You could also plan your driving for around mid day so that the sun is high overhead instead of shining into the lens.

I can't see any magic fix really, get another camera up front and just aim that one at the driver and forget about what's going on outside is probably a better idea

get a second camera and mount it on the windscreen, you'll find it next to impossible to get decent results mounted there

If that's the case I would just mount it else where..

Exposure lock doesn't work for a racetrack, half the time you are looking into the sun and half the time away from the sun, the exposure needs to change continuously.

I read it twice looking for the camera! Can see it now. Don't think the M10+ has much in the way of exposure control, might benefit from a bit of -EV but then half the race track will look a little dark.

You could also plan your driving for around mid day so that the sun is high overhead instead of shining into the lens.

It's always going to be during the day. I don't have the abilities to change the time of the events unfortunately.

I will try to play with some settings next time.

Thanks for your suggestions.

I can't see any magic fix really, get another camera up front and just aim that one at the driver and forget about what's going on outside is probably a better idea

You are probably right,if nothing else works I'll just get a helmet mount instead. Thanks for your input.

You are probably right,if nothing else works I'll just get a helmet mount instead. Thanks for your input.
speaking from experience, helmet mount tends to be a bit shaky and hard to watch, even with gyro stabilization (dunno if the M10+ has it or not). it's not as bad on a bike but from inside a car, it's not so good.

speaking from experience, helmet mount tends to be a bit shaky and hard to watch, even with gyro stabilization (dunno if the M10+ has it or not). it's not as bad on a bike but from inside a car, it's not so good.
M10+ does have a gyro and it would cope with a bike helmet where there are no real side forces but not with a car helmet.

Best to mount the camera rigidly to the car, preferably outside, and if you intend to hit the curbs then turn the gyro off because it works too slowly and will just make a mess of things.

Back