HELP: Blurry Lens Issue

DMICS

Reaction score
Country
Canada
What’s up DCT crew. Needed some help from the veterans on an issue with my original Möbius wide lens camera (I guess it’s the M1).

The one I was using as a dash cam I now use as one of the security/monitoring cameras in the house. The Möbius is set up downstairs so I can keep track of the dog and also who comes in and out via the separate downstairs entrance.

I’ve noticed over the past year but really the last few months that my videos come out super blurry and not as sharp with my usual lamp on. I took some screenshots (see below) and the 1st 2 pics is how it would normally look.

I then got a cotton swab and added some water droplets, proceeding to wipe down the lens which is what you see in the third pic. I feel like it’s something internal because if I simply just wipe the lens video will still come out blurry.

Any help would be super appreciated. And is this a quick DIY fix? Thanks!

39532050-AAF7-422B-A3AD-D9D7F60F69CC.png

7DF70E63-76AB-4AA9-99B6-685768EA820A.png

B5C8E691-C4B9-436A-88B6-3AC82430DF33.png

Have tried adjust the lens ...AFAIK you'll need the correct compatible usb2go to micro adapter for your phone app to you can ad just the blurr.. Can't remember b if a screw driver was needed.. after that i notched the position ever so slightly with nail varnish and light etch.. So i will know if gets offse again in the future

Hope it helps..[emoji869][emoji106]

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

It's easy to fix.

You'll need to connect the camera to a laptop/pc in webcam mode and rotate the lens till you achieve sharp focus. The lens needs to be loosened using the included hex key, that's if you still have it.

In the mobius there is a grub screw securing the lens to the mount, if you loosen that you can turn the lens in and out to change its focus.

It is often very little it take, like a few degrees, and it is also a good idea to make a mark on the lens body so you can always return to your starting point.
The mobius also use regular M12 ( fine thread ) lenses common in CCTV and action cameras, so also easy to find a new lens if you want to, just have to make sure 1: it is a megapixel lens ( 2 at least ) and 2: that it have a IR cut filter installed.

Heat can often make lens focus shift, either permanent to a new focus ( that you can fix by refocus ) or a not permanent where focus is fine then the camera are cold but then change as it heat up, and then go back to good focus again once you turn off the camera and it cool down ( this you can only fix with a new lens )

Are you sue the mobius are filming in 1080p, if it somehow changed to 720p the picture would of course be less detailed due to the lower resolution.

Yes the grub screw fixing the lens in place are a 1 mm hex as far as i recall, and as explained connecting to PC or laptop in webcam mode are a good visual way to do focus.
If you cant do webcam mode, you are best off just loosening the lens turn it very little, then film something and preview to see if it changed to the better, if it have made it worse you need to return to the starting point and turn the lens very little in the other direction.

We talk very little here like turning it 1 mm on the circumference of the lens.

The 3rd pic looks better and sharp enough for the intended purpose, just saying.

Or maybe you rotated it a bit while cleaning the lens.

Well 1st thanks everyone. Didn't expect this many replies and so fast...the main reason I love this forum. It seems like every summer now I'm encountering issues. Last summer it was the Mobius battery dying out while travelling and this summer it's the lens.

It's easy to fix.

You'll need to connect the camera to a laptop/pc in webcam mode and rotate the lens till you achieve sharp focus. The lens needs to be loosened using the included hex key, that's if you still have it.

I hope I still have it. About to look for it in a bit. I usually don't throw away things so I pray I still have it. I have my Macbook so I'll use that for webcam mode.

In the mobius there is a grub screw securing the lens to the mount, if you loosen that you can turn the lens in and out to change its focus.

It is often very little it take, like a few degrees, and it is also a good idea to make a mark on the lens body so you can always return to your starting point.
The mobius also use regular M12 ( fine thread ) lenses common in CCTV and action cameras, so also easy to find a new lens if you want to, just have to make sure 1: it is a megapixel lens ( 2 at least ) and 2: that it have a IR cut filter installed.

Heat can often make lens focus shift, either permanent to a new focus ( that you can fix by refocus ) or a not permanent where focus is fine then the camera are cold but then change as it heat up, and then go back to good focus again once you turn off the camera and it cool down ( this you can only fix with a new lens )

Are you sue the mobius are filming in 1080p, if it somehow changed to 720p the picture would of course be less detailed due to the lower resolution.

Good tips to know, especially with the heat. TMK it's been filming in 1080p but I'll have to double-check.

Yes the grub screw fixing the lens in place are a 1 mm hex as far as i recall, and as explained connecting to PC or laptop in webcam mode are a good visual way to do focus.
If you cant do webcam mode, you are best off just loosening the lens turn it very little, then film something and preview to see if it changed to the better, if it have made it worse you need to return to the starting point and turn the lens very little in the other direction.

We talk very little here like turning it 1 mm on the circumference of the lens.

Perfect. Was worried it was going to be some long process. Glad it's a quick and somewhat simple fix.

The 3rd pic looks better and sharp enough for the intended purpose, just saying.

Much better, agreed.

Or maybe you rotated it a bit while cleaning the lens.

Yeah I'm wondering if I did that rigorous wipe with the damp cotton swap if that helped.

There is a few Phillips head screws that hold the 2 case halves together, when opened you should be able to see and loosen the grub screw and adjust the lens, this you can do no problem with the camera open like that.
As i recall ( have never tried it ) connecting the mobius to a PC in webcam mode as i recall you have to press a button on the camera meanwhile.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
DMICS Mobius 27
R Mobius 6
L Mobius 1
R Mobius 56
K Mobius 18
Back