Help! Camera will not turn on...

Big Gary

Reaction score
Country
United States
Just received the Yi 4k in the mail. I opened it up, inserted the battery, and powered it up. Worked fine. I then powered off the camera, took my Transcend 633x U-3 micro SD card (one of the ones Yi recommends), and inserted it into the camera. Hit the power button, and now nothing will happen. I've tried removing the battery and the SD card several times. I've even tried putting in a Sandisk that I bought for another camera. The red light does go on when I plug the camera in. Is there some way to reset the camera? What do you guys suggest? I am very unhappy. This was pretty much my one shot for getting an action camera for my vacation in a couple of weeks, if I send it back now I probably won't get a new one until after I get back, and I don't trust this brand anymore... As of writing this I have it charging to see if maybe this will help somehow.

1.You download the lastest version 1.1.0 and copy it into the root directory of the Sandisk micro sd card (Not Transcend), change the file name to be “firmware.bin", then put the micro SD card into your camera, and turn on it.
2. Try plugging in your device into an AC adapter or computer with a micro USB cable an check if the red LED ring around the power button lights up.
http://www.yitechnology.com/support/firmware_action/id/5.html

1.You download the lastest version 1.1.0 and copy it into the root directory of the Sandisk micro sd card (Not Transcend), change the file name to be “firmware.bin", then put the micro SD card into your camera, and turn on it.
2. Try plugging in your device into an AC adapter or computer with a micro USB cable an check if the red LED ring around the power button lights up.
http://www.yitechnology.com/support/firmware_action/id/5.html
Attempted updating with the SD both the Transcend and the Sandisk (I should note that the Sandisk is a class 10 but not U-3 rated, the Transcend is. Both were FAT32 formatted). Again it failed.
As for 2, I feel you may be confusing the Yi 2 with the original Yi action camera. The Yi 2 4k has not LED around the power button. It does a have an LED inside it which flashes purple after attempting to turn it on. Unfortunately it only flashes the first time after putting the battery in; it will do anything after. It also turns solid purple when I plug the camera in without the battery. Still doe not work.

Can you try this (just to compare to what I'm seeing):

1. Unplug the camera completely
2. Remove the battery
3. Plug the camera into USB or power (DO NOT INSERT THE BATTERY)
4. Turn on the camera

---- IF THE CAMERA TURNS ON: ----

5. Read the remaining steps completely first ;)
6. Insert the battery into the battery holder only about 2-3mm - do not push it in completely
7. Assuming the battery is still on (keep the screen alive by tapping on items if needed), carry on
8. Slowly push the camera further into the holder 3-4mm at a time

On my camera the camera turns off when the battery is about 3/4 into the holder...

@int2str

Hey,
I got exactly the same problem than you and received mine yesterday from Geekbuying web site.
I noted during the unpacking that the plug of the battery was cover with a plastic, but it did not seem original....
Did you try to insert another battery?
I guess this just a wrong battery because the camera by itself seems to work!

Can you try this (just to compare to what I'm seeing):

1. Unplug the camera completely
2. Remove the battery
3. Plug the camera into USB or power (DO NOT INSERT THE BATTERY)
4. Turn on the camera

---- IF THE CAMERA TURNS ON: ----

5. Read the remaining steps completely first ;)
6. Insert the battery into the battery holder only about 2-3mm - do not push it in completely
7. Assuming the battery is still on (keep the screen alive by tapping on items if needed), carry on
8. Slowly push the camera further into the holder 3-4mm at a time

On my camera the camera turns off when the battery is about 3/4 into the holder...

I have the same problem as you. My Yi cam 4k turns off even if I put the battery reverse without pins conection.
Have you solved it?

Well, I had exactly the same problem on my YI 4K.
Nothing I found on the internet worked.
Then I removed the paper that was wrapped around the battery. And well - I don't know why, but my camera is back again! The wrap around the battery (I hope you know what I mean? - This one.) was a bit curled, maybe this was the reason.

So, maybe you should try this as well.

Well, I had exactly the same problem on my YI 4K.
Nothing I found on the internet worked.
Then I removed the paper that was wrapped around the battery. And well - I don't know why, but my camera is back again! The wrap around the battery (I hope you know what I mean? - This one.) was a bit curled, maybe this was the reason.

So, maybe you should try this as well.

I can confirm that this works. I don't know how it happened or why, but the problem is the perfectly working battery stops sitting against the pins properly. Removing the sticker fixes it.

HI! look i had that problem... i disarmed the camera...u can search on youtube how to disarm it, the thing is that i looked all the camera, i mean for every single piece. so i moved the button wire and thats the problem, the camera was with that wire not connected to the pin. u just have to connect it, is because of that that it doesnt turns on.
:)

Didn't want to start another thread as the issue seems to be similar.
I have already checked 9 batteries (3 old, 6brand new) and the camera either can't be turned on at all or shuts down itself a few seconds after starting - even though the batteries are fully charged...
Any ways to fix this?

Back