Help, I am looking for the following dual cam feature ?

scouser

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I am looking for a dual dash cam that will record while the screen is off but will automatically turn the screen on and show the rear cam when the car is in reverse? I do not want a mirror replacement type unless it is for a 2005 stock tahoe.
Thx!
Scouser

None of the dual camera dashcams have this feature.
It have allso been debated weather it will be usefull, the dual cameras are for mounting inside the car, so in case of a sedan the trunk will block the view.

But i SUV or 4x4 with a flat rear end can be covered by the rear camera if it is tilted more than usioal Down towards the ground, rear dashcams are not meant for covering the cruisioal first feet behind a car like a dedicated reverse cam do as it cover from the bumper ( where they are often mounted Down low ) and 16-20 feet behind the car in clear view.

None of the dashcams have a sensor to feel when reverse is engaged, but some have PIP and touch so it is just 1 push and the reverse camera will be on screen.
But then another issue pop up, most dashcams sit up high in front of mirror so the screen wil be blocked from view, that in turn might be resolved by using a AV out on the dashcam, but then in you will have to have a double din headunit with a screen that can display the footage, or buy a small LCD screen to Mount on the dashbord.

you are best off buying a dedicated reverse camera setup ( witch will have guidelines and distance lines in the footage ) and then a dashcam with 1 or 2 cameras to record the traffic around your car.

I saw and was able to play around a little bit with such system prototype month ago, 2ch remote lens FullHD + FullHD / 30Fps / 12, 15Mbps each Ch. It still under development and will be released for public in few month ( 2,3,4 ... ? month ? ). So for now just need to wait util it will be released.

this one does have auto switch to rear camera when reversing but the screen needs to be on, I want one that does not need the screen on while driving forward

https://www.ebay.com/itm/321089664982

Last edited:
this one does have auto switch to rear camera when reversing but the screen needs to be on, I want one that does not need the screen on while driving forward

Your car multimedia / headunit screen will switch on automatically when reversing gear is engaged.

RoadCam will have a couple products in the next couple months that will meet your needs. I'll reach out to you when we put together an early adopter and or beta program.

Your car multimedia / headunit screen will switch on automatically when reversing gear is engaged.
Thx Niko, if i can find those two features ie, screen off, auto on when in reverse I will buy 3. Rear does not have to be recorded, I am trying to get by with just one screen.

Thx Niko, if i can find those two features ie, screen off, auto on when in reverse I will buy 3. Rear does not have to be recorded, I am trying to get by with just one screen.

Does your stock Tahoe has factory fitted multimedia player with LCD screen and Video AUX in ? ( I guess not ? )

Does your stock Tahoe has factory fitted multimedia player with LCD screen and Video AUX in ? ( I guess not ? )
no, its just a plain radio/CD , no screen

no, its just a plain radio/CD , no screen

How should dashcam look like for you: remote lens with main unit hidden and only camera / lens mounted on windshield, or whole dashcam unit mounted on windshield ?

How should dashcam look like for you: remote lens with main unit hidden and only camera / lens mounted on windshield, or whole dashcam unit mounted on windshield ?
either way would work but remote lens and hidden main unit would be better

The one on the front dashcam i assume, but still quite small they are ( yoda mode )
And as i said before, if the front dashcam is ideal mounted it will reside on the mittle of the windscreen and as high as it can get. ( witch mean between the mirror and windscreen )

Anywhere else here in Denmark and the cops will give a fine as it is illigal to block the view out the windscreen just a Little. ( that is if they deside to uphold that law witch it dont seem like they do )
But the law book say that even a Shoelace hanging from the rear view mirror = a fine.

I would prefer a 7" or larger to reverse, not the measly 3-4" or what ever is the biggest on a dashcam these days.
And i would prefer to look down at my center console, and not have a bright window as a frame for my attention.

no, I want to keep my vehicle stock

In this case the only solution is to buy high quality autodimming mirror with built in LCD which fits 1:1 replacement of your stock mirror, + buy remote lens dvr system which will switch on an LCD display on the rearview mirror when reversing gear is engaged.
Also there will be out in 3-5 ... ? month special mirror dvr with built in front camera fullhd and rear camera D1, 1;1 replacement of stock mirror, high quality built etc. So, just need to wait until it released to public.

Puts me in mind about that age old saying "don't put all your eggs in one basket".

I would be amazed if you could easily combine the two features since the parameters for each is completely different - a rear cam needs to be able to record the stupidity of the driver rapidly approaching - too fast, swerving, bad overtaking etc whereas a reversing cam only needs to concentrate on not hitting a bollard/small wall/fence or anything else immediately behind you.
My reversing cam is 6 years old - and will, hopefully continue to serve me well for many years to come (and why shouldn't it? since it only activates on reverse gear). Whereas I seem to update my dashcams regularly due to crappy goods (DR32) or simply becoming old & outdated (T-eye was only 480p) or upgrading to the staelthy option (F70, Mobius).
What would be the cost of including a screen that can come on with reverse gear as well as a lens that can cover not only the distant road but also the immediate area behind?

Back