Help! I've updated my firmware!

Combat Squirrel

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

new to the forum here.

I've just downloaded the latest F770 firmware and speed camera data to my THINKWARE supplied 32gb SD card. Whilst doing this, I was browsing a few articles online and came across the matter that doing the above can brick my device! So I haven't popped the SD card back in yet.

What to do next?
Should I completely erase and format the sd card and pop it back into the camera and format it in there to? Is that safe?
What about third party SD cards?

Many thanks for your help

I can honestly say i have never had a firmware upgrade fail with a genuine memory card. My only recommendation is to start the engine when you power up the camera as some cars go into 'comfort mode' after a couple of minutes and shut off the ignition circuit to save battery power and if it does this mid update it can kill it.

Absolute worst case scenario if it did 'Brick' we can revive it with our Jig for postage charge.

I have seen comments that there is a risk doing a firmware update with a non-TW SD card. Although I doubt that there would be a problem I always use my original 32GB TW card for firmware updates just to be safe. The simple truth is that any firmware update on any product has a risk of bricking simply because it is changing code in non-volatile memory and the code is essential (usually some form of OS). But when I think of all the TVs, STBs, phones, tablets, routers etc I have done firmware updates on and never ended up with a brick, to me it seems that this risk is negligible. Especially with Steve's kind offer you should not worry.

So I've had no issues. I've updated the firmware and the speed cameras and it's all working fine. I've also upgraded with a second sd card with the 64gb transcend 400x. All good so far!

Back