Help me chose dash cam please ...

Olegkha123

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello,
Could you please help me to chose the dash cam that would do the following.

* Front, rear ( interior is a good plus but optional )
* WiFi and or cellular upload
* Motion censor when parked that will record and upload video if some on is in the close proximity, as well as if there is a hit.
* Live view
* Power ones the car is off, but I need to make sure it does not kill the battery (5-7 days).
* Video should be uploaded as oven as poccible to prevent loss of info of dash cam is stolen.

Thank you for your help.

Could you please help me to chose the dash cam that would do the following.
You will need to relax your specification a bit before anyone will be able to help with that!

Welcome to the forum :)

Thank you. But as close as I can get to the items I listed the better I will be.

Thank you for your time .

Welcome to DCT @Olegkha123 :)

Long parking recording time is a problem- car batteries cannot handle several days and you'll need to use a separate powerbank . Camera choice will also somewhat matter here as higher bitrate vids use more power over a given time.

Motion detect is hit-and-miss with most cams and has sensitivity issues with others. Most advice is to not rely on it although certain Blackvue cams do it OK and it's still being developed on some other cams. You usually get too many false alarms or almost no vids captured even though there was substantial movement in the cam's view.

Off-site uploads are usually a manual operation and very slow; the wifi feature in dashcams is best used only when you need a file or two on the road. Most live-view or screenshot dashcam features stop the recording while this is being done; there just isn't enough processing capacity to do both at once.

I suggest that you list your desires in the order of their importance to you, knowing that beyond the first 1-2 items you may not get much of what you want :( Dashcam technology lags today's latest possibilities for a number of reasons and all you can do is get as much as you can from what is being made today. There are some really good cams out there, just no perfect ones :cool:

Phil

Thank you. ... I will list in the order you suggested.

1. Front, rear ( interior is a good plus but optional ). AS I CAN SEE THIS NO ISSUE.

* Motion censor when parked that will record and ALERT ME IF some on is in the close proximity, as well as if there is a hit. SO I HAVE AN OPTION OF RECORDING ON CELL.

* Live view
* Power ones the car is off, but I need to make sure it does not kill the battery (2 Days).

* Video should be uploaded OF I CHOSE TO DO SO AT A PRESS OF A BUTTON.

It seems that all your requirements are connected with knowing instantly when someone gets within 10 meters? of your vehicle. I'm not sure what use that is? Presumably the car is insured anyway so unless you are going to run outside with your guns every time someone walks near you car...

What is the reason for requiring all this remote information?

People used to be interested in things like resolution, video quality, reliability, but you don't even mention them, seems to be a growing trend...

1. Front, rear ( interior is a good plus but optional ). AS I CAN SEE THIS NO ISSUE.
Not many decent triple channel cameras about just yet, this is next year's technology. This year we are still on dual channel.
For the rest of your requirements you need to look at Thinkware and Blackvue cameras to get somewhere close, although you may be disappointed by the results.

I park in 10 car garage, and we have people who are not supposed to be there walking around. I need to see who it is if they come to my side. No one suppose to be there. I can not install anything outside of the car.

2 Chanel is good enough.

I park in 10 car garage, and we have people who are not supposed to be there walking around. I need to see who it is if they come to my side. No one suppose to be there. I can not install anything outside of the car.

2 Chanel is good enough.
But do you really need to know instantly instead of looking at the recordings later?

If you are nearby then you may be able to use direct wifi for live view, instead of mobile internet with access over the cloud, could save $100s + subscriptions...

2 Chanel is good enough.

If your purpose is just to identify an 'intruder' after-the-fact then any functioning dashcam can do that. If your purpose is to notify authorities when such a person is there then there's no dashcam which does that. There are other choices which might work such as the "Wyze" cam which is a small security cam but can be powered by your car (limited time) or a powerbank, and it has a wifi which allows for real-time video viewing/downloads plus a motion detect feature. Not sure if it alerts on motion activation but some similar cams do.

So please let us know your exact purpose and then we can better help you :)

Phil

Front and rear ( dual channel are no problem ) but if you thing rear camera as in a rear facing camera on your windscreen, then yes that's okay for recording the cabin, and close to worthless in regard to what go on out back.
IMO a rear camera should be on the rear window, so a front / rear camera + a cabin camera that make up a 3 channel camera and you will not find those yet.

wifi you can also find in dashcams, but it is simple wifi made to do settings changes and maybe DL a single video now and then, and it is slow wifi with a short range so even if it could it would be less suited to bulk transfer of footage.

Motion detect you can get as part of parking guard, but not really any smarts in it so it will just be saved on the memory card.

Live view i think you can get in some of the smartest dashcams, but of course only if your camera are on ( parking mode ) and doing that ( parking mode a lot ) can be a problem, so say you use parking guard the 7 - 8 hours you are at work, and overnight at home, you will be doing that upwards of 20 hours a day, so you almost need to be driving the remaining 4 hours of the day to make sure your car battery are fully charged.

On a car battery alone you can not get 5 - 7 days of parking guard, you will need a substantial battery capacity upgrade to pull that off.
Either by putting several car batteries in your car where all but the original car battery serve your cameras, you can get a devise that isolate other batteries like that, it is what are used in campers ASO so you don't risk depleting your car battery.
Or you can put in some of the dedicated dashcam power banks, though that probably going to be expensive.

Some of the current smart cameras have a cloud option ( small free space ) + additional space you can buy, i am not 100 % on board with how this work, i assume you need either a mobile data AP in your car, or a wifi AP in range.
If you go by mobile data, you will need pretty much 100% 4G speeds all the time, otherwise you can not move data as fast as a camera can generate it ( rule of thumb say 1 camera generate 100 MB every minute it record )

ATM the smartest dashcams around are probably the Blackvue and Thinkware cameras, but as i see it they can not do all you ask, and will struggle with some of the things.

A stealthy dashcam most people will not see, there is a video where some guy get his Jeep car jacked, and he have a not stealthy Garmin dashcam mounted right in front of the driver ( not in the optimal middle of windscreen ) and car jacker don't even notice it.

The up coming dual remote cameras will have very small and so stealthy camera units ( much smaller than current small dashcams ) and the main unit with the memory card you can hide somewhere in your car, just don't too deep cuz you still need to access it now and then to get footage / do changes / and format the memory card.

You can see a pic of a dual remote dashcam i am testing on here, the camera housings them self are about 1 inch wide, so very small and stealthy.
The main unit are about 2 X 3 inches in size and thas about the same size of the front unit of current dual channel systems, so that you can also hide where you please.

_dsc0575-jpg.44287

This are just one of the first dual remote cameras out there, more will follow in the months to come from the major brands and also smaller brands i am sure.

Back