Help me decide............

Ok guys I am very close to pulling the trigger. Current thinking is to get a Viofo A129 but only the front camera for now. Also contemplating not getting the GPS base just yet either. I like the idea of going gradual and seeing if this is something I really want or I will just become disinterested. This camera seems to provide that option and is well respected. That way if I want GPS later, or to add a rear camera I will be good. Sometimes I think the GPS is a great thing to have and then I wonder if that information may actually be used against you, like if you were speeding at time of accident even if it is pretty clear it is not your fault. someone turns in front of you lets say? the video footage would be conclusive, but the GPS info may go against you? Am I overthinking this? Can you selectively provide this information?

Also when adding the second camera or GPS mount does all of the power come from the front camera? Do you need to run a separate power source to the rear cam? I believe I have seem a camera where the rear cam was wifi connected? is that very common? how is the quality? I assume you would ned to wire a power source so maybe its not that mush simpler to add anyhow.

How about the polarizing lens? Is that only needed on a case by case basis depending upon the specific car windshield and dash and how it affects the image quality or is it always a good idea?

Thanks for the input.

Speed can be determined by the time it took you from point A to point B.

Camera can be powered through the mount or direct. For the 3 wire Parking Mode kit, power cable needs to be connected to the camera. Rear camera connects to the front unit using a single 6M cable.

Yes, the amount of reflections will depend on the angle/rake of your car's windshield. I'd suggest getting at least one for the front and see if you want to add one later for the rear.

Ok guys I am very close to pulling the trigger. Current thinking is to get a Viofo A129 but only the front camera for now. Also contemplating not getting the GPS base just yet either. I like the idea of going gradual and seeing if this is something I really want or I will just become disinterested. This camera seems to provide that option and is well respected. That way if I want GPS later, or to add a rear camera I will be good. Sometimes I think the GPS is a great thing to have and then I wonder if that information may actually be used against you, like if you were speeding at time of accident even if it is pretty clear it is not your fault. someone turns in front of you lets say? the video footage would be conclusive, but the GPS info may go against you? Am I overthinking this? Can you selectively provide this information?

Also when adding the second camera or GPS mount does all of the power come from the front camera? Do you need to run a separate power source to the rear cam? I believe I have seem a camera where the rear cam was wifi connected? is that very common? how is the quality? I assume you would ned to wire a power source so maybe its not that mush simpler to add anyhow.

How about the polarizing lens? Is that only needed on a case by case basis depending upon the specific car windshield and dash and how it affects the image quality or is it always a good idea?

Thanks for the input.
The GPS is good to have because it keeps the time accurate, other than that its main use is that when you review your driving you get to see how bad you have been and can then change your driving habits which may then keep you out of trouble in future.

Can you selectively provide this information?
Yes, although in some situations not providing all the evidence may be illegal and it is always possible to work out the speed from the video image anyway, and do so more accurately than the GPS without the few seconds delay that GPS speed can have, it always has 1-2 seconds delay.

Also, if you kill someone or are suspected of doing so then the police in most places have the power to seize all evidence including your car and everything in it including the dashcam, however they wont need the GPS data since they will get your speed from the car's collision control unit which will have logged a huge amount of data during the accident including speed, deceleration rates, spin rate and angle etc. etc.

So don't worry about having GPS data, make use of it to improve your driving.

The rear camera has a single cable to the front camera, no separate power cable.

For the polarising filter, you can buy that later after you have found if you have a problem or not, although if you can get it in a package at reduced cost then I do recommend getting 1 for the front camera, and if it's not needed there you can use it on the rear camera where it will allow you to see through the window reflections on the car behind and see the driver using their mobile phone!

It’s good that you’ve narrowed down what you’re looking for in a DVR, my thinking is more or less like yours (with a few exceptions)

the 3 things I look for in a DVR are quality of what it captures, reliability of the DVR, and to be discrete (as/if possible), all subjective I know but these are, in no particular order my starting points,

other features a DVR comes with might be a requirement/preference, but the 3 thing that will sway me are as mentioned above

as you’re more or less made your mind up on the Viofo A129, with the exception of the screen it has more or less what you’re looking for, myself for the cost I’d buy it with the GPS, you can always switch the GPS off if you find you have no need of it,

as for CPL filters as mentioned, your car screen and dashboard has as much to do with reflection as the light hitting your screen or where in the sky the sun is, try it without and if you think you’re getting too much reflection then order one

they are not 100% reflection stoppers, just too many variables for that, that and plus you lose between one and two ƒ stops with a cpl filter in place

in passing if you do go for the A129 you’ve not made a bad choice, I received the A129 dual only this past Sunday, so not much testing yet

I’m only going by my own research of what others have said and found the A129 has features that are important to me and plus a few features that I think are niggly .

I normally give these DVR around 12 to 18 months then I pass them down to our other cars (pass me downs ), these DVR’s don’t last forever, and better ones are only around the corner

If you're a habitual speeder then GPS being embedded into your recordings is not in your favor, as a review of your past driving on the card will blatantly show that, thus prejudicing any claim you have of being a good and safe driver. You will most certainly encounter this question on the witness stand here in the US, and while your past may not be allowed to be referred to directly, thing like this are a common tactic here used to sway judges and juries against you. While your speed can always be deduced from a time-distance study, that's not likely going to happen if it seems like your speed wasn't a contributing factor, but if your GPS does show speeding they will definately make the effort to verify that. You can't escape that your dashcam records your own driving, but neither do you want it to highlight your errors! Since you're on the fence with that, I say get it since it's almost always considerably cheaper in a package deal than to buy later and if you decide you don't like it then turn it off. It's not expensive anyway. Maybe run it once a week to keep the cam's time-date settings updated.

The CPL is a different matter as many people don't need it, so until you discover that just wait and get it if you do find a need. It's like a strong medication- good for those needing the treatment but harmful to those who don't. Far too many people fit one thinking it's enhancing their videos when it's only darkening them, especially at night when the cam is struggling already. It's cheap to buy and ship, so post-purchase buying makes sense here unless your chosen seller offers it for near-nothing as part of a package deal. Not sure it was asked about, but definitely get a hardwire kit if only for adding a bit of reliability, convenience in use, freeing up a power/lighter socket for other uses, and making for a cleaner install. Also buy only from Viofo directly or through one of his approved dealers for best support should you have any problems.

In my 5 or so years in the dashcam game, the A129 stands out as being exceptional in every way including overall value, and even though the form-factor doesn't work for me I'd love to have one of my own anyway!

Phil

Hello friend,

I am the seller of DDPai mini2 on Amazon, welcome your any questions.
Regarding Wi-Fi, my understanding is, most of the time, just let the camera record alone and don't need to connect the camera with your phone via wi-fi at all, we assume that the over majority of the recorded videos are useless, you only need to connect it when you want to control the camera, for example, download 1-2 minutes key evidence, then you could use your phone to do it conveniently and quickly.

BTW, 2 pcs indepedent DDPai mini2 is actually an ideal solution for front & rear recording, thanks.

Fabio,
Sorry to inject here, but i’m hoping you can help - just acquires and installed my DDPai M2 in my MotorHome. I installed is vertically so as to be able to swing the camera from front facing while driving to door facing while parked. However this makes the ‘wide angle’ into a ‘tall angle’. Is there now way to physically or by software adjust the lens 90 degrees so I can get back my wide angle while installed vertically? Thanks .. Jim

Back