Help me Find What I'm Looking For!? Please & Thank You!

BillMan

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dual Camerea - (Would like 3 Camera Setup that records all at same time)
G-Sensor (If in accident, must not delete or stop recording footage, you just never know) (Do All Android ones have this?
Motion Detection - (If someone walks by, I want it recorded, just in case.... I have had people back into my car before and looking in my windows)
1080p, but can live with 720p. Would like all Cameras to do this if possible

The top is the major priority

Now for the minority
Android would be the best, but I want as cheap as possible as well.
Would also like to record when car is running (Of course! Must be set it and forget it, so no monkeying around)
I do not care if it replaces my rear view mirror. Would be cool if it does, and would love it!
Any other cool features you can think of?
Thanks

Bill, man how cheap we talking? A great 2 channel 1080p system would be the Marcus 5 coming soon yet probably not cheap.

If you want cheap, think two stand-alone units for around $200 out the door with accessories and mounts.

I was thinking around the $200 price tag. I would s pend more, if it did really great.

Any links???
One option at that price would be two Mobius cameras. They are the size of a Tic Tac box, film in 1080p, and the settings can be adjusted via an Android app as well as live view. The Mobius also has a motion detect mode. Both cameras with accessories, would be just under $200. Check out the Mobius threads for more info (http://dashcamtalk.com/forum/thread...help-requests-here-read-posts-1-8-first.4232/) (http://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/mobius.1303/)

There are some other cameras in that general price range, and higher if that idea works for you. It would change your plan for a 2 or 3 channel system. The Marcus 5 two channel I mentioned earlier for example would set you back about $400+, so double your price.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have no problem with the Marcus 5 at $400

I can not find a link to it though.
The Mobius doesn't have a g-sensor. That is one mandatory feature I must have.
Thank you for the link

I have no problem with the Marcus 5 at $400

I can not find a link to it though.
The Mobius doesn't have a g-sensor. That is one mandatory feature I must have.
Thank you for the link
Here's the link to the thread (http://dashcamtalk.com/forum/thread...a7-wdr-gps-3dnr-64gb-cpl-140.3759/#post-43862). Also look at the VicoVation Marcus-1 that was just released to get a better idea of video quality.

A G sensor is a love/hate thing. It works by locking the file when the camera senses shock to prevent the loop recording from writing over that file. Sounds great right? Yet with an SD card that holds 4 hours worth of driving, if you see that your car was hit or you get into an accident, you would have to drive 4 hours before worrying about losing that file. Also with most cameras, you can simply manually lock the file by pushing a button. People dislike G sensors because, depending on the sensitivity, it could lock files when you hit a pothole, bump in the road or slam your car door. A lot of people turn them off.

Here is a starter guide on features worth checking out
It's done by a guy who goes by name Techmoan on the internet. Many of us started our dash cam journey watching his reviews. Check his site out www.Techmoan.com

As features go I've come around to thinking that G-sensors are more marketing hype than useful feature. And as GJHS and others point out it tends to lock files when you don't expect or need it to, resulting in a folder full of junk files you have to delete that just waste valuable space on your memory card.

The main thing to consider for me is that I have NEVER lost a file for any reason having to do with shocks or vibrations. In an accident, the camera will keep running long enough to capture the crash. Time and time again people publish videos taken with these types of solid state cameras (like the Mobius) that have survived all kind of traumatic experiences like car crashes, RC aircraft crashes or extreme sports spills. Usually the one thing that's still going when it's all over is the camera. I wouldn't hesitate to buy a Mobius because it doesn't have a G-sensor.

So, I am better off getting a rear view mirror dash cam? That has two cameras.

Like this?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/171270947841

I don't like the video quality, I want True 1080p.
But would be nice to change the viewing angel when I want.
Definitely not better, there is no vertical adjustment which is important for exposure. You don't want to film too much sky. Avoid poor quality cams, it's like throwing money out the window. There are some great buys, you just have to be really careful about ebay shopping for any cam. That's how we can help.

The cameras discussed are both excellent, quality solutions. What Dashmellow and I are saying is not all features are important. G sensors, in our opinion, are not a make or break feature.

Sit down and think what would be ideal for you. Do you prefer two tiny discreet cameras, a 2 channel system with a bigger front camera and a small rear view or a camera set up with all the bells and whistles?

Sometimes when people ask me what to buy I suggest they buy an inexpensive decent quality camera like a G1W to get their feet wet with this technology and this helps them decide what they ultimately want and need. The inexpensive first purchase can become a spare or rear mount camera. (the G1W actually has many of the features you want so it would be a way to try out G-sensor for example) Whatever you chose, I would agree with GJHS and avoid the rear view mirror cameras.

Last edited:
Gotchya, The only ones I didn't care for, are the ones you put on your window. GPS's seem to fall down all the time.
In my neighbor state, it is illegal to hang anything on the mirror, or an air freshener on your mirror even. Putting it on the Dash, I think is Ok however. Or on the back of a mirror should be ok, as long as it isn't obstructing view.

G-Sensor probably isn't that much needed as Motion Detection. For when I have the car off. I think they make some that will save the last 10 seconds detected and save?
Right?

Any Links to the camera you guys think I should get?

In my state it is also illegal to mount or attach anything to your windshield except in a 4 inch square on the lower right corner and you are also not supposed to hang anything off the mirror. The fine is $156.00 for this violation. The strange thing is that with the proliferation of GPS units, toll road transponders, satellite radios, etc. I see them on the windshields of many vehicles. Sometimes I ask fellow drivers with such gadgets who I encounter in parking lots if they've ever gotten a ticket or been hassled by the cops over this, they universally say no. So at least in my state they don't seem to be enforcing this law.

Edit: I've never had a properly mounted suction device fall off the windshield but if one doesn't do it carefully or if the unit is a very cheap one this will happen.

Gotchya, The only ones I didn't care for, are the ones you put on your window. GPS's seem to fall down all the time.
In my neighbor state, it is illegal to hang anything on the mirror, or an air freshener on your mirror even. Putting it on the Dash, I think is Ok however. Or on the back of a mirror should be ok, as long as it isn't obstructing view.

G-Sensor probably isn't that much needed as Motion Detection. For when I have the car off. I think they make some that will save the last 10 seconds detected and save?
Right?

Any Links to the camera you guys think I should get?
Most cameras come with an adhesive mount that such rely attaches to the window. They also come off clean, should you ever decide to remove it. They are usually much more compact and discreet than a suction cup mount.

When recording in Motion Detect, the camera will record and save a file every time it sees motion and will turn off 5, 1o, 30 sec (selectable) after motion stops.

As for which camera, you haven't said which set up you prefer. The two I mentioned:

For $200 you can get two Mobius cameras. This is the most discreet flexible system. The camera is so small that you can mount it behind the rearview mirror and not even see it and then mount on for rear view. They can also be moved to any angle for parking MD recording.
http://buymobius.com/collections/mo...hd-video-camera-with-dash-cam-kit-for-car-dvr

The second mentioned was the VicoVation Marcus 5 which will be released soon. It is a dual channel setup with GPS. It has a larger camera with a screen in front and a smaller camera without a screen for the back, both film in 1080. It won't be easy to hide the front camera behind the rearview because of its size.
http://dashcamtalk.com/forum/thread...a7-wdr-gps-3dnr-64gb-cpl-140.3759/#post-44294

I really like the Mobis. Anything I don't see that it does, is have motion detection?
Also, the lens doesn't auto focus? It looks like it doesn't have a problem with that, while recording things however? If it had 60fps at 1080p it would be the bomb!

The Marcus 5, does it have just as good quality, or better?

I really like the Mobis. Anything I don't see that it does, is have motion detection?
Also, the lens doesn't auto focus? It looks like it doesn't have a problem with that, while recording things however? If it had 60fps at 1080p it would be the bomb!

The Marcus 5, does it have just as good quality, or better?

it has motion detect, they are all fixed focus

So the Mobis and Marcus have the same video quality? I like Marcus, for having a screen. But do not know where I would put it.

If Marcus had motion detection, I would be all for it, no matter the price.

So the Mobis and Marcus have the same video quality? I like Marcus, for having a screen. But do not know where I would put it.

If Marcus had motion detection, I would be all for it, no matter the price.

haven't seen a side by side comparison of the video quality

lots of cameras have motion detect, not that many work well though

Back