Help me with wiring Dashcam

KevB

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I had the dashcam installed at a shop and my new dashcam requires micro usb so need to change the wiring
Car is Honda Civic 2013 EX
I am not sure why they split the wires and connected to two fuses as shown in the pic. The new wire come with one fuse setup so wondering if I need to re-use the two fuse setup they had or I can just connect to one of the fuses (not both)

They connected the split wires to:
14 Seat Heaters (option) (15 A)
28 Washer 15 A

Can I connect to any of the above and not both as they did?
Thanks

Attachments

• Fuses.jpg
    Fuses.jpg
    503.5 KB · Views: 8
  • Fuse_Diag.jpg
    Fuse_Diag.jpg
    791.7 KB · Views: 8
Welcome to the forum KevB

That ground connection, that dont look like the sort of screw / bolt that have any ground connection, but if it have worked with your old camera no need to change.

You do need to connect to 2 fuses with modern ( 3 wire ) hard wire kits, the one +12 V wire should be on a always on fuse ( this is what power the camera when in parking mode )
The #2 +12 V wire should go to a ACC fuse that are only on then the motor are running, this wire is what tell the camera to change to regular drive mode or parking mode.

There are also 2 wire options, but they are not popular, in that case it is the G sensor in the camera that tell the camera to change to and from parking mode ( no movement for X minutes and it change to parking )
you can also make do with 2 wires if you dont need parking mode, for instance Street Guardian they have the 12 - 5 V converter a bit up the wire, that way if you dont want to use the ciggerette lighter plug, you can cut it off at the plug and then wire into the fuse box for more tidy wires.

So yes you can use the current connectors for a new camera, and if you dont want to use parking mode you can just connect the 2 wires to the +12 V ACC fuse and the other to the ground.

BUT that shop that have connected your old camera ?????? it look as if there are no fuses on the dashcam, so the chance if it having killed your electrical system have always been there ( unless there is a inline fuse up the wires i can not see )
Normally we piggy back on a fuse with a adapter for that, that allow for the original fuse to still be there for the original circuit and a fuse for the new circuit the dashcam will be on.
products-841912367.jpg

What camera are you going to install.

Last edited:
Thanks a lot, that's helpful
I tried to use the same wiring for the new Camera but the existing wiring is Mini USB while the new Camera takes Micro USB
I bought Mini to Micro USB converter but the Camera doesn't turn on with the Car, I have to physically take the cable out of the Camera and re-insert for the Camera to turn on. So I thought I need to replace the existing wiring and get a new one with Micro USB

1) do you think I can keep existing but find a solution for the Micro USB?
2) To replace with new wiring, images attached, which comes only with one wire instead of the two Yellow and Red. I should only connect it to the "Constant Power" fuse 28 (Red Wire) and let the Battery Modulator shut off the camera, Correct?

Thanks

Attachments

• Dashcam.jpg
    Dashcam.jpg
    122.6 KB · Views: 2
  • Dashcam2.jpg
    Dashcam2.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 2
Back