Help! Mini 0805 bricked after updating firmware with 20170213_A7_805_ZX_1CARD_GPS-BIN.zip (from SkyHigh Electronics)

asaf

Reaction score
Country
Bulgaria
Hi guys,

I need help with my Mini 0805.
It was working normally until today when I decided to update the firmware with the latest one - 20170213_A7_805_ZX_1CARD_GPS-BIN.zip (from SkyHigh Electronics).
I've formatted the micro sd card, transfered the firmware.bin to it and started the dashcam.
I saw the message which suggested to me to update, chose 'Yes', the process went smoothly and at the end there was this message that the update is a success.
And the problem started right after the restart of the dashcam.
I hear the sound that indicates that mini is starting, than I see the factory splash screen and then the splash screen goes off, the display is still working but there is nothing on it.
Just an empty display.
I also noticed that it was heating up too fast and too much, even though it was indoors at home and in practice does not work. Ie. does not do what it is intended for.
The worst thing is that after the firmware update my PC can't recognize the dashcam as a USB devise.

Can anyone help with diagnosing the problem or even better - with some way to flash the previous firmware back?
Is there any emergency way of doing this or something?!?

Last edited:
Is there really no way to fix it?

you can reflash it if you have the correct elf version firmware and the USB tools
Three questions:
1 - Have you noticed that "after the firmware update my PC can't recognize the dashcam as a USB devise"? How can I communicate with the camera if I cannot get the PC to recognize it as a device at all?
2 - Which USB tools set exactly? I've stumbles upon at least 3 of them.
3 - I have the working firmware that was deployed on the dashcam before the update that bricked it. Is that the "correct elf version firmware" you're talking about?

You need an otg cable, the USB software, and the elf version of the firmware, not the bin version

You need an otg cable, the USB software, and the elf version of the firmware, not the bin version
I have an OTG cable.
Which USB software exactly do you mean - DirectUSB, AmbaUSB or something else? And what am I supposed to do with it? Just to copy USB software and the ELF firmware to a thumb drive and connect the drive to the dashcam?
Can you point me to a source of ELF versions of the firmware?

Use the software on your PC, the otg cable is needed for access to the camera in dev mode, the elf files and the software can be found online, @Tobi@s had them on his website, otherwise you can contact the manufacturer for them

just use another working firmware in sd and flash again. you do not need cable

just use another working firmware in sd and flash again. you do not need cable
...I hear the sound that indicates that mini is starting, than I see the factory splash screen and then the splash screen goes off, the display is still working but there is nothing on it. Just an empty display...
I.e. even the camera works fine and just the display not (which I don't think is the case) I can't neither see nor choose to do a firmware upgrade. I've already tried it.
I've found an .ELF file and I'm researching how exactly is supposed to work all that system with the OTG cable.

I.e. even the camera works fine and just the display not (which I don't think is the case) I can't neither see nor choose to do a firmware upgrade. I've already tried it.
I've found an .ELF file and I'm researching how exactly is supposed to work all that system with the OTG cable.
the problem for you needs video instruction from youtube to follow it to update the firmware. It does not matter that you can't see it. It will still load the working firmware to your dashcam so you do not need any otg cable

Thank you guys!
With a little help from Tobias I've been able to flash the .ELF file and unbrick the camera.
And even to update the firmware back to the previously working one.
Thank you one more time!

P.S.
Just for the record - I've tried to flash a firmware upgrade right after flashing the .ELF file, but with no success.
Then following the Tobias' advice I've reflashed .ELF, than held the power button for 20 seconds and then restarted the camera.
And voila - it was working normally again.
Then I've used the normal way of upgrading by copying the firmware to the SD card.

Last edited:
To the attention of @DashCamMan!

The dangerous at least for my camera firmware 20170213_A7_805_ZX_1CARD_GPS-BIN.zip (from SkyHigh Electronics) is still available on the Mini 0805 page. Not only that, but it is also on top of the other firmwares as the most up-to-date and recommended one.

Could you remove it from Mini 0805 page at all or at least note that it is a beta that could cause problems?
I think that would save a lot of effort for a people like me who just log in, choose the latest update, and flash it... :)

Last edited:
To the attention of administrators and/or moderators of the site!

The dangerous at least for my camera firmware 20170213_A7_805_ZX_1CARD_GPS-BIN.zip (from SkyHigh Electronics) is still available on the Mini 0805 page. Not only that, but it is also on top of the other firmwares as the most up-to-date and recommended one.

Could you remove it from Mini 0805 page at all or at least note that it is a beta that could cause problems?
I think that would save a lot of effort for a people like me who just log in, choose the latest update, and flash it... :)

good idea, need to tag @DashCamMan to action that

My mini0805 just have been bricked. Can anyone help me how to fix it? Please advise

@asafb26 @Tobi@s

loos like I installed drivers, and I started updating the camera with .elf file, it took ages and after disconnecting, the computer cannot see the device properly and the driver of the A7 looks like: (Device Descriptor Request Failed)

any idea?

Attachments

• www.jpg
    www.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Back