Help! My dash cam keeps coming off the windshield

Grzegorz

Reaction score
Country
Canada
What you guys use to stick your dash cam to the windshield? The cheap sticky pad that came with my dashcam isn't good enough. It worked fine for a while in the winter, but on a warm sunny day I guess the glue gets heated and it falls off. I will often come to my car to find it fell on the floor.

I tried cleaning the glass then applying rubber cement then reattaching it, and that held for a while, but again on a hot day it let loose.

I need something REALLY sticky that will secure my camera to the glass for good.

Extreme mounting tape, eh? Is that what you use?

If the mounting tape pulls off, it never sticks back as well. Whichever type you use, it is critical that the glass be immaculately clean where you stick the mount, and also that you wait 24 hours minimum before adding the weight of the cam, which allows the tape curing time where it will actually draw itself into a tighter bond ;) Don't use an ammonia-based glass cleaner as it leaves a residue which prevents proper adhesion; my choice is "Invisible Glass" brand. Alternately you can use an alcohol pad or wipe the area with isopropyl alcohol, then after it dries rub the area hard with a clean paper towel or clean microfiber towel to eliminate any potential residue.

It seems that few cams come with decent instructions on mounting, and most of the mid-range or lower ones also don't include an extra mounting pad either, so this is a common problem when it really shouldn't be :( Sometimes it's user-error as most folks (including me :eek:) don't always read the owner's manual comprehensively if at all before we jump in and discover problems later on. Regardless the reason, there's a fix and the cost is cheap enough, so get the tape mentioned above, clean as I've described, and your mounting troubles should be over (y)

Phil

I have never had things come off the glass, but i have had problems with a camera coming off the pads, so on that side i just solved the problem with CA glue.
But as your problem is with the glass CA glue will not be a good idea to use, so one of the 3M VHB tapes will be what you want.

Extreme mounting tape, eh? Is that what you use?
I do, but I don't mount my cameras directly on the glass (at least I try not to). My preference is to mount them on the sensor housing if I can, or in the case of rear/side cameras on the trim around the windows. For that application I find this particular tape works far better than anything supplied by the camera manufacturer. If used on the glass it is removable but it does take considerable effort.

The curvature of your windshield may well be working against you. I shaped (by filing) an intermediate pad (piece of black ABS plastic) to fit the curvature of my windshield on one side.. leaving the flat side for my camera to attach too.
Test your "pad" by holding it in place sans tape and note how much of a gap you probably have in the middle.. a dab of liquid and observe from the outside, you will easily note where there is contact.

The windscreen needs to be very clean before you use any tape to fix your dash-cam.
Try Sugru this works well when a suction cup fixing does not what to adhere. It will also works well for flat mounts. You can set your country at the top right
https://sugru.com/ or look here https://sugru.com/stockists Black is available to help blend in your camera for that stealth mode.
Alternatives is outdoor tape which can stick in extreme temperatures. I have used Tesa Powerbond Foam Double Sided Mounting Tape for Outdoors. However I cannot find it on The Canadian Amazon site. This looks like a good alternative.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/B06ZXQWD4W

Back