Help needed - cam stops recording after about 15 minutes

Bull City Dashcam

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello all, I've got a new dash cam, essentially an Aukey DR-H1. (I say essentially, because it's the same camera, it just doesn't have any branding on it.) It's hardwired and has a pretty good picture on it. Unfortunately, after just under 15 minutes (about 4-5 three minute loops), it starts writing files that are unreadable by my computer.

It creates a new folder for the following day, but lists the date as 27-Dec-1970. The folder is completely empty. No good files, no corrupt files, nada.

So, I format the Micro SD card, put it back in the camera, and the cycle repeats. 14 minutes of good video, followed by corrupt files, followed by an empty folder created 46 years ago.

Do y'all have any ideas on what might be happening and/or how I can fix it? I mean, I could hit the reset button every 15 minutes, but I wanted something a little less labor intensive.

Thank!

Sounds to me like it may be a problem with the memory card. What size/brand is it? Have you verified that it's good?

I've tried three different cards, 2 of them are cheap generic cards, 32GB, class 10 Micro SD. They both produce the same results.

The third card that I've tried came from Walgreens. (I don't recall the brand of it, but it wasn't as generic as the first two.) It's also a 32 GB card, but it is UHS1. When I had it in the camera, the video was very stuttered and choppy.

The other two cards are at home...I'm trying an full overwrite format on the card that I have here at work using the SD Formatter tool. Theoretically, that will test the entire card's writability as it writes zeros (or ones, whichever it does) to the entire card.

While it may be a camera related problem it doesn't sound like you're using name brand, proven memory cards. Best you insure they are not the problem before anything else.

Many folks here use 'h2testw' to verify cards to insure they are 1) functioning properly and 2) are the capacity/speed they claim to be (many counterfeit cards are not). Unlike a format it will write then read/verify. You can get a copy of the program here: http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/System-Miscellaneous/H2testw.shtml

Edit: Al the symptoms you describe can be a result of counterfeit/low quality cards. Dash cams place a lot of demand on memory cards so it's best to use quality, proven memory. There are a number of discussions here on the subject but the general consensus is Transcend, PNY, Samsung, etc. are for the most part reliable. Sandisk should be avoided for a couple of reasons: 1) they don't 'play nice' with a lot of dash cams and 2) they are counterfeited a lot so you may not be getting what you think you are.

Last edited:
problem card is the most common cause of the issue you have, that said though the camera you have is a known problem model also

Bull city....is that Durham? Because if you're getting your cards there, they're all counterfeit!

1 Do what the above says with the cards
2 Secondly NEVER buy cheap cards
3Thirdly if the cards are OK lift rubbish bin lid dispose of camera and spend a bit more on a good one

A rat**** card will probably only last 15mins as it will be a 4gig that has been bastardised to look like a much larger one and when the camera gets past the good portion (if there is one) it will start writing rubbish.
Refer to 2 above

A dashcam setup is a system: mount, cam, card, and PS. If any one of these is sub-par you'll have problems :( Dashcams are one of the hardest devices on an SD card which is why most cards are not warrantied for dashcam use. Only the best cards will do here and even then what is best for another use may still not work well with dashcams. And if you upgrade to a better cam you've already got the card for it thus saving a few bucks in the process :D

About half of the failures reported with dashcams are card-related so don't take chances, use only cards you find recommended by numerous folks here on DCT and your chances of happiness with your cam will improve greatly ;)

Phil

Back