Help needed - Fault with A118-C

aaronhyland800

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have had an A118-C for a few years now without any problems. I hit a bird this morning on my way to work, i wasn't sure what bird it was so i thought id check my camera once i got into the office. I took my card out of my camera this and plugged it into my laptop. My laptop wouldn't even recognize that the card had been inserted. So i took it out and put it into my works computer. It said that the card requires formatting, i clicked cancel and went to 'my computer' and clicked on it there and it said error and wouldn't open. So i took my camera out of the car put the card in it and then plugged the camera to the computer. it said that the card was completely empty. I then plugged the camera into the a USB mains socket so it would power up like a dash cam and it said the card was full. I wasn't bothered about the footage so i have reformatted the card through the camera and it now powers up like it should. I ran it for 15 minutes and checked the footage and everything is as it should be. I am going to leave in running all day in the office so it will loop record a few times and check it again later today.

I format the card monthly following advise from someone who owns one

Has anyone experienced this before? I'm concerned as to weather it was the card or the camera which has faulted. I'm just glad that I've found this before i was involved in an incident which i might have needed the footage! But I'm worried in case it happens again

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Would be a good idea to replace it before it fails, they will develop errors over time
Thanks. So do you think it’s more likely that the card has failed over the dash cam

Higher chance of it being the card
I agree I read that they only have limited amount of cycles. I might have a spare one which I can run all week and see if there’s any problems. If there’s not then it must be the card. Thanks for your help

Higher chance of it being the card
Update: I have just tried unplugged the camera from the USB mains and plugged it into the computer and it's saying 'card error' on the camera. when try to select the camera on 'my computer' nothing is coming up. I have taken out the SD card and put it into the card reader on the computer and it is telling me to format it like it did earlier. looking like its the card thats at fault but I'll have to try my spare card and run a test all day tomorrow and see if it does the same. Ive got a feeling that when the card gets full its having a problem loop recording

What are you trying to use to view files? Just your regular windows folder/player?
I wonder if you'd have any luck using a 3rd party viewer software such as Dashcam Viewer or Registration Viewer.
Though your card does sound like it's seen its share of usage, so if you haven't had issues in the past.. hope your spare SD card works!

What are you trying to use to view files? Just your regular windows folder/player?
I wonder if you'd have any luck using a 3rd party viewer software such as Dashcam Viewer or Registration Viewer.
Though your card does sound like it's seen its share of usage, so if you haven't had issues in the past.. hope your spare SD card works!

I tried both VLC player and registration viewer but neither works. I’ve tried a spare card and it seems to be working so I’ll run it all day tomorrow and see if it works.

Darn, well I hope the card is the culprit, good luck to you!

Back