Help: Night Vision Action Camera

So I can adjust my Mobius to act as a CCTV camera? is it easy and quick to do? and I can switch back to its original form too?

you can swap the lens out easily, there are plenty of threads here from people swapping lenses, night vision isn't normally what it's about but same same when it comes to the process

something of the cheapest must be the wyse cam 2 ( better ir performance than V1 )
you can see performance around 10:38 in this video

Here is a comparison of several small CCTV cameras, most should have option to store on memory card ( a must of course )

you can swap the lens out easily, there are plenty of threads here from people swapping lenses, night vision isn't normally what it's about but same same when it comes to the process

Will do some digging and ask in those threads, thank you again!

something of the cheapest must be the wyse cam 2 ( better ir performance than V1 )
you can see performance around 10:38 in this video

WC2 looks solid, sadly that's a bit big. Just trying to keep something key fob size like my Mobius. I think I'll get a WC2 anyways for my place. After I figure out this action night camera situation, I want to shift and get cameras for the front yard, backyard and doorbell.

Quick google search and I can across this video. So the darkness I would be filming in won't be like that. No streetlights, nada.

So the darkness I would be filming in won't be like that. No streetlights, nada.

you'll need some type of light source, IR or otherwise

Yup, I know. I still want to try and see what I can capture without the source though. That's my aim. The final product could be good enough.

Yup, I know. I still want to try and see what I can capture without the source though. That's my aim. The final product could be good enough.
I think the Mobius is going to see less than a human eye without IR illumination.
Some of the latest dashcams with the IMX219 sensor are very close to the human eye.
The Aurora must be around an owls eye
No camera can see in complete darkness, then you need to turn to other methods such as ultrasonic imaging as used by bats, radar or lidar.

Jokin is right. To do what you're asking cheaply would involve an action camera like Mobius 1 with a lens which does not have IR filter and IR light/flashlight source. I'd recommend after market CCTV lens with the lowest aperture(F1.2-1.4) to allow for most light to reach the sensor(you can look around on AliExpress). If the 1080P quality is sufficient then the lenses are quite cheap. I found a few different infrared lights for under 10$ on various sites but you'd need to DIY. Since Mobius does not have a screen, I'd suggest something which at least has a WIFI so you can easily adjust the lens like JooVuu or Foxeer Legend 2.

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/pr...-camera-installation/1512187_32883453217.html

Jokin is right. To do what you're asking cheaply would involve an action camera like Mobius 1 with a lens which does not have IR filter and IR light/flashlight source. I'd recommend after market CCTV lens with the lowest aperture(F1.2-1.4) to allow for most light to reach the sensor(you can look around on AliExpress). If the 1080P quality is sufficient then the lenses are quite cheap. I found a few different infrared lights for under 10$ on various sites but you'd need to DIY. Since Mobius does not have a screen, I'd suggest something which at least has a WIFI so you can easily adjust the lens like JooVuu or Foxeer Legend 2.

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/pr...-camera-installation/1512187_32883453217.html

Thanks my man. I'll be messaging you with questions since I'm now somewhat lost hahaha.

Thanks my man. I'll be messaging you with questions since I'm now somewhat lost hahaha.

If you mount a non-IR corrected lens on your Mobius and install a battery powered IR illuminator on your bike you can build a very effective night vision camera system.

https://www.amazon.com/IR-Illuminators/b?node=7161095011

You could conceivably even go with something like this if you install a suitable battery:
https://www.superbrightleds.com/mor...ff-road-infrared-led-light-bar-18w/1607/3704/
ir_light bar.png

THIS LINK has some examples of a Mobius fitted with an IR CCTV lens (no IR-cut filter) shooting in pitch dark under IR Illumination.

Last edited:
I am looking for a smaller IR flashlight as the one i use on my scope now are far too bit, and its light actually reflect off my silencer and into the scope as the huge light is mounted on top of scope.

Once again want to thank everyone for the help and great information given to me. For now I’m just going to hold off and hope as technology continues to advance what I’m looking for pops up in the next few years.

If I desperately need a setup (which at this moment I don’t) then I’ll look into all these great suggestions.

In the end I just want a small camera the size of a mobius or a little bigger that can film in complete darkness without any additional lighting source or products needed. As of now it seems the only thing available is the $750 camera made by SiOnyx, and I’m defintely not spending that lol.

Last edited:
you cant film in complete darkness as a photo sensor work by getting hit by light photons, in a scenario like that all you can do is to go for thermal vision, that still function kind of the same way just work with even longer wavelength of "light" that heat give off.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermography

That will work fine in complete darkness, unless everything in frame are the same temperature which are highly unlikely.

You need the eagle from runcam. Too bad no colour.

Expensive sony mirrorless cameras allow you to see in the dark also.

Still some light in that vid- I can see the moon and what seems to be light reflected onto the sky from a nearby city, stadium, or similar. B&W does better at night which is generally acceptable since that is what our eyes do, so you're not really missing a lot.

No cam other than infrared for total darkness yet, and I can't see any other way that could be achieved without some light source being involved.

Phil

Foxxeer also. Don't forget to read the description and comments on youtube

Seems the Sionyx Aurora doesn't even need starlight, it can see perfectly well just using the IR glow of the atmosphere and a few fireflies, needs a warm night to get great quality:
The Sionyx Aurora camera looking at buffalo grazing about 1.5 hours after sunset. The first part of the recording is taken using Aurora's Twilight mode and the second part using Color Night Vision. Notice the pinkish color of the grass and trees. This is "Earth Glow" where IR energy collected in the atmosphere during the day time is reflected by plants at night. Aurora is able to detect and take advantage of that IR light.

Back