HELP: no MPH screensaver on 412GW

Clegster

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I have recently replaced my old 402G with a 412GW due to a fault with my old cam.

My old cam (402G) showed the vehicle speed instead of the video picture after a few seconds of starting up, and continued to show the vehicle speed for the duration of the trip (unless the GPS signal was lost - such as in a tunnel)

I cant find out how to enable the feature on my 412GW, it only appears to show what is being recorded - or a blank screen.

As this is such a useful feature i can not believe the new model does not support it - does anyone now how to activate it?

Thanks in advance

Not on the 412GW unfortunately. It is possible that this could be added with a firmware update? ask @NextBase Tiffany on here. It is there on the 512GW though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Hi @Clegster

This feature is available on the 512GW and 612GW only.

This won't be updated in firmware unfortunately.

Many thanks for your help guys - shame this function is reserved for only the 512 and 612, It seems such an obvious safety feature.

Cheers

From a safety perspective the wheels on the road speed (your inbuilt car speedometer) will always be more accurate than the displayed GPS. The calculation of speed is based upon GPS position and hence distance travelled over time taken.

Depends how bright this function is when it’s dark as it could be a distraction to some

From a safety perspective the wheels on the road speed (your inbuilt car speedometer) will always be more accurate than the displayed GPS.
Possibly correct, but not 100%. Car speedos are calibrated never to under read. To achieve this, they are deliberately calibrated to over read by about 5%. This of course does give the driver a 'safety margin' in so far as he/she is actually travelling a bit slower then the spedo indicates.
The law for car speedometers in the UK. The UK law is based on the EU standard, with some minor changes. A speedo must never show less than the actual speed, and must never show more than 110%of actual speed + 6.25mph.19 Sep 2012
This means at 70MPH the car's spedo can read between 70 and 70 + 7(10%) + 6.25 = 83.25MPH.
The calculation of speed is based upon GPS position and hence distance travelled over time taken.
Are you sure about that? The the vehicle's velocity can be obtained directly from the sat receiver data, normally updated once per second I believe. In my experience and the experience of many others and several different GPS devices devices, a car's speedo always over reads to a greater or lesser extent.

Pull up at traffic light and on my 512gw it takes quite a while to show 0 MPH, sometime I can start moving again when the lights change so it never gets to zero. I would never trust GPS speed as a safe legal measure.

Then it's taking the 'averaged' velocity from the GPS device. Can't remember what it's actually called, but it's apparently to stop random high/low readings affecting the output. Or it could be 'smoothing' done in the user software for the same reason. Once at a steady speed, it will be just fine.

I, one one occasion, looked at the screensaver speed display on the 512GW and it was showing a ridiculous speed that a Qashqai has no chance of achieving. Well over 200mph but can remember exactly. The wife recorded the display on her phone and I mentioned it to NB Tiffany. Next day I received a new gps mount in the post. Never experienced that problem again.

.Are you sure about that? The the vehicle's velocity can be obtained directly from the sat receiver data, normally updated once per second I believe.

Yes - that is what I've posted above. It is calculated from that data, as how far the device has travelled in the time period.

That's not what I said Tiffany. What I didn't say was that the velocity can be calculated from the distance between two consecutive position readings and calculated by d/t. What I did say (meant to say) is that the GNSS chips can calculate the device's velocity from the Doppler shift of the sat data and is outputted once per second without reference to the devices position.
I'm not saying that Nextbase do it one way or the other, just that it can be done in two ways; direct data and calculated d/t.
Some light reading HERE

Ahhhh sorry @M8TJT - I misread your first message! Yes it is calculating d/t.

Interesting read.

A few weeks ago I travelled through the M23 roadworks near Gatwick. Quite a few miles are covered by average speed Specs cameras.

I set cruise control at a point where both my phone (running CamerAlert with speed display) and my Garmin 2699 were reading 50mph. My digital speedo was reading 53mph throughout. I was slowly overtaking all other cars who were presumably using their car speedo to avoid a brown envelope.

Given that car speedos have, by law, had to over read by about 6% to 10% for at least 12 years that I know of, I make quite a lot of use of my GPS speed in average speed zones where I can. And without issue.

Wow - busy day today with the replies.

I have used my 402 with the speed displayed on the screen for some years and have never found it distracting. Yes a degree of common sense is required when using it (as with all things technical) however I found the feature very useful once moving, such as motorways - especially in roadworks with average speed cameras. The particular make of vehicle I drive generally over estmates speed by nearly 10% (the maximum allowed) on the inbuilt spedo, which is by design.

A few weeks ago I travelled through the M23 roadworks near Gatwick. Quite a few miles are covered by average speed Specs cameras.

I set cruise control at a point where both my phone (running CamerAlert with speed display) and my Garmin 2699 were reading 50mph. My digital speedo was reading 53mph throughout. I was slowly overtaking all other cars who were presumably using their car speedo to avoid a brown envelope.

Given that car speedos have, by law, had to over read by about 6% to 10% for at least 12 years that I know of, I make quite a lot of use of my GPS speed in average speed zones where I can. And without issue.

Exactly my point, and I used to do the same, until I upgraded to the 412

personally I wouldn't like to have to look over at the dashcam to see the speed, I do agree that the car speedo isn't the greatest when it comes to accuracy though, I do use an auxiliary display which can be calibrated and find it a lot more useful

Pretty much all the time i get my speed from the waze like app on my phone in its dock, this mean i have to look to the left of the steering wheel where my phone are attached to a static door glass.
I would like a dedicated GPS speedo, maybe HUD style, but i never gotten around to pull the trigger on it.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
J 412GW 7