Help requested 12V ACC charging Cellink or Blackvue B112

Buggyja

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

My first post on here. So hello! I’ve purchased at blackvue DR750s 2ch. I absolutely do not want to hardware the thing in to my car so have been looking at the options with battery banks to power it whilst parked. I tend to use my car for short journeys of about 30 mins and then park up for short periods up to 1-2 hours. I appreciate a battery bank prob won’t get a decent charge in such short driving periods, so id have to use a home inverter to keep it topped up.

First problem was all my 12V sockets in my car are powered all the time when ignition off (Cayman). So, what I thought was I could leave the power bank 12V sockets clipped into the Acc outlet whilst engine is running, and when I park up, just pull out the socket to disconnect the power bank and prevent car battery discharge. And then. similarly on a car where power is cut to the accessory sockets on engine shut down, the power bank takes over and continues uninterrupted powering of the cameras. Does this sound feasible? I know the risk here is I forget to remove the socket when parking up!

Question I have is this. What are the actual draw specs of the Cellink B and Blackvue B112? I’ve checked my car manual and it says sockets are 12V/5A but warned not to exceed 70W. I did a quick calculation from the gen on the Cellink and came out with 73W which is too much. I’m not sure if I took the correct figures. Also what about the Blackvue? Does this draw less voltage and current?

Thanks all!

Last edited:
Which model Cayman? My 981 12v sockets cut out 35 minutes after the car is locked. I checked this by plugging a 5v USB converter with a red light into the glovebox 12v socket and looking through the rear window every 5-10 minutes to see when the light went out.

BUT... general consensus is that:
1/ It is unsafe to charge/discharge a power bank simultaneously.
2/ 99% of power banks do not allow charge/discharge at the same time.

So, charge your power bank separately and pull your cam's power cable from the car and into the power bank when you park up.

Thanks for the reply. I actually ditched the idea and went hardwire and power magic pro in the end.

It’s a 987. Has a permanent non switched, 12v ACC sockets. I use one for my battery conditioner. Unlike a power bank the Cellink B battery and blackview B112 is designed for pass through charging. It’s actually how it’s designed as you can hard wire them instead of using the 12v socket.

Back