Help to buy please

DashCam11

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
After a newer dash cam, previously had a cheapo from Groupon.

Don't want to spend too much <£100 and ideally want the following features if possible, or happy for people to comment and say don't need this/that, better to have this etc. I have been reading forums and looking but there is just so much info, found this site and thought perfect for advice. The nextbase ones look decent and seem to have good UK support?

*Would like a parking mode to monitor when not there.
*Smaller the better for me, not bothered on a screen
* Ideally like a dual but think out of budget and only one I've seen is nextbase duo which is older model now think.
*night vision, think all should have this really?

Fitting wise I'll wire to a cigar socket to power on/off with ignition, like I did with cheapo, not sure how this works with parking mode though?

On a side note I don't know why the car manufacturers aren't building this in to cars now. Some cars have all around cameras and a touch screen. Why can't they just then record to a customer supplied SD if necessary? They could have all sides covered then.

Sorry for long initial post but hopefully can get some recommendations
Thanks

Hi, Dash. Your needs sound similar to mine, which I've satisfied with a Boblov Viofo A119 V2 GPS model with CPL filter and 32GB Samsung Evo+ memory card for £102 total from Amazon UK. It only arrived yesterday, but all good so far, including parking mode on latest V3.3 firmware. You might find the A119S V2 the better for improved night time performance. It was in my shortlist, but the non S version seems to have the edge of daylight, which is when I do most of my driving.

Video of the installed product and its stealthy appearance here....

Hi, Dash. Your needs sound similar to mine, which I've satisfied with a Boblov Viofo A119 V2 GPS model with CPL filter and 32GB Samsung Evo+ memory card for £102 total from Amazon UK. It only arrived yesterday, but all good so far, including parking mode on latest V3.3 firmware. You might find the A119S V2 the better for improved night time performance. It was in my shortlist, but the non S version seems to have the edge of daylight, which is when I do most of my driving.

Video of the installed product and its stealthy appearance here....

Thanks for that. Looked on YouTube and this type do look really good and hidden. Do they stick on ok with heated front screens?

As been searching found that Anker have one, looks very similar called Roav dash cam. I do want parking monitor as well, does the A119 have it? What's the CPL filter and why do you need it?

Thanks

Last edited:
I think you have to careful when judging by looks. I don't believe the Anker is as good as the Viofo. I looked at it only briefly and dismissed it instantly. I don't remember why.

A CPL is a circular polarising filter. It can help reduce reflections both in (dash reflecting onto windscreen) and outside the vehicle. It is used in photography as well as dash cams. However, it reduces the light hitting the lens, so maybe not so good for night time.

I can't comment on heated screens. My car doesn't have one and as it's summer I wouldn't be using one now if I had it.

I have heated screens on two of the cars I use, no issues at all with cams, personally I prefer the ones that sit in front of the mirror as think they blend in very well, I use a thinkware F770, overpriced a bit but good, awsome for parking mode, you will need to think about what you call parking mode, some work for a limited amount of time sensing knocks then turning on, others have true parking mode because they still have an electricity supply that is live even with ignition off, most cars lose power to cig lighters with ignition off, yours may not so worth checking as you can then use any cam and just leave running 24/7.
Personally I wouldn't touch a nextbase, from a combined 15+ years over 5-6 nextbase cams they give lots of trouble, usually fine when new then problems with batteries plus MANY other problems, should you want one though I will happily sell you a nextbase but seriously don't!!
The viofo does seem good as does the street guardian I put my trust in thinkware though, but the F770 way over budget they do less expensive ones though, I personally would only ever buy from a dealer in case of any hassle, unlikely with most cams but can happen

I've just checked I have 2 cigar lighters, one is powered on all the time, and the other is switched with ignition. I had my cheapo plugged in to the switched one as thought it would drain battery. Interesting on Nextbase thanks for comments, thats why I've come to here, as no-one better than actual users!

Anker are decent stuff, in my experience anyway, selling on Amazon UK usually and always had good support etc, their Roav dash Cam looks like a A119 actually, maybe same firm building them? Has a parking mode, where it runs off battery and records 30 "bumps" says.

Last edited:
I believe the Anker is missing GPS, which I wanted, and has a battery, which I do not. That's why I dismissed it quickly from my short list. Your needs and wants might be quite different. I have no problem with Anker products in general.

I believe the Anker is missing GPS, which I wanted, and has a battery, which I do not. That's why I dismissed it quickly from my short list. Your needs and wants might be quite different. I have no problem with Anker products in general.

Ah ok, what exactly is GPS for on a DC? To me it could be a decrement if say you were going a little over the speed limit if it tracked that, not that I speed just an example!!

Why didn't you want a battery? As yours is powered all the time?

Does your A119 have a parking mode, if so how does it work please.

Thanks for comments, getting there! I want to buy asap so am looking to buy tomorrow

I try to avoid speeding and would rather have evidence to support the fact than have only my word for it. If I should be involved in an incident whilst speeding I would probably simply not use the footage unless it was still in my favour to do so.

Batteries only have limited run time and will fail in excessive heat and over time. Why would you want one in a dash cam? The A119 has capacitors, which hold sufficient charge only for clean shutdown, but should be far more durable over the years.

The A119 does have parking mode with the latest firmware and it works. Operation is already described in this forum.

Ah ok, what exactly is GPS for on a DC? To me it could be a decrement if say you were going a little over the speed limit if it tracked that, not that I speed just an example!!...
1. Most cameras that support GPS can also use it to set the date/time in the camera. Given that almost all clocks run fast or slow to some degree, and become more inaccurate over time, this is a nice feature to insure that it's always correct. Plus, if you happen to have multiple cameras GPS time sync will pretty much insure they all have the same time.

2. I personally like having GPS in those instances where I'm trying to find a specific clip. I'm more likely to remember where I was when something happened than what date and time it was. GPS makes it much easier to find assuming you have the appropriate software.

3. Regarding GPS showing you being over the speed limit that can also be determined from the content of the video - with or without GPS - so you're no more likely to incriminate yourself either way. See this post for how it's done: https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/dome-dab202.17083/#post-222840

...If I should be involved in an incident whilst speeding I would probably simply not use the footage unless it was still in my favour to do so...
If that should come to be and you decide to withhold the video from evidence make sure nobody is aware of its' existence or the 'other side' may call for it and you may be required to submit it anyhow.

After a newer dash cam, previously had a cheapo from Groupon.

Don't want to spend too much <£100 and ideally want the following features if possible, or happy for people to comment and say don't need this/that, better to have this etc. I have been reading forums and looking but there is just so much info, found this site and thought perfect for advice. The nextbase ones look decent and seem to have good UK support?

*Would like a parking mode to monitor when not there.
*Smaller the better for me, not bothered on a screen
* Ideally like a dual but think out of budget and only one I've seen is nextbase duo which is older model now think.
*night vision, think all should have this really?

Fitting wise I'll wire to a cigar socket to power on/off with ignition, like I did with cheapo, not sure how this works with parking mode though?

On a side note I don't know why the car manufacturers aren't building this in to cars now. Some cars have all around cameras and a touch screen. Why can't they just then record to a customer supplied SD if necessary? They could have all sides covered then.

Sorry for long initial post but hopefully can get some recommendations
Thanks

Hi @DashCam11

You’re right, the DUO has now been replaced with the DUO HD (released last Friday in Halfords).

Two 1080p lenses, WiFi and the new magnetic mounting system.

Another option for cover at both ends would be the 512GW with the soon to be released rear cam.

The 512GW is currently our best model spec wise based on what you need; Sony Exmor sensor for better night time images, polarising filter for reduced dashboard glare in the day and smart parking mode which takes power from its internal battery (about 30 minutes worth of recordings, that’s 15 2 minute impacts)

Hi @DashCam11

You’re right, the DUO has now been replaced with the DUO HD (released last Friday in Halfords).

Two 1080p lenses, WiFi and the new magnetic mounting system.

Another option for cover at both ends would be the 512GW with the soon to be released rear cam.

The 512GW is currently our best model spec wise based on what you need; Sony Exmor sensor for better night time images, polarising filter for reduced dashboard glare in the day and smart parking mode which takes power from its internal battery (about 30 minutes worth of recordings, that’s 15 2 minute impacts)

Appreciate reply. Thanks for advice. Prefer the magnetic mount, great idea.

When you say the 512GW with rear cam is this 2 separate cameras? How is the rear powered, do you have to run another long cable to a cigar lighter?

On the new DUO HD I'm not sure it will actually"see" my rear window though as it's so small anyway? Does it have decent night view, Sony sensor? Can't see it on Halfords or your own website yet. How's much is it please?

Regarding the parking mode, when does it start recording though? If it has a bump and then starts, maybe they may drive off before kicks in recording? What's the delay in starting please.

Thanks

Last edited:
....On a side note I don't know why the car manufacturers aren't building this in to cars now. Some cars have all around cameras and a touch screen. Why can't they just then record to a customer supplied SD if necessary? They could have all sides covered then...

It's finally become an option since 2016 on a couple of car manufacturers, Citroen have one in the rear view mirror in the new C3 and one I can't remember has a 360 degree camera as an option... This was something I also wondered a while back given that top gear said Mercedes tend to be the first to implement innovative features that all cars 10 years later tend to have BUT there are many countries that have privacy laws preventing people from recording in public... meaning dashcams in general are actually completely banned. I personally think that shouldn't prevent car companies from having cams available as an optional extra in countries where cams aren't banned so it should never have been an issue, but maybe it is? I dunno.

I’ll ask the marketing team in regards to the price of the DUO HD, I will keep you posted. The model it’s replacing is £199 to give you an idea.

Yes - the 512GW has a ‘r-cam’ port which is specifically designed for the rear cam, it’s 1080p and will record data to/take power from the 512GW. You only need one cigarette lighter socket/hardware kit and one memory card (a larger one would be advisable since it’s recording double files).

A cable will run discretely through the trim from the rear to the front (this is included with the rear cam).

Yes you’re absolutely correct, it’s triggered by a G-Sensor. This means left/right/forward/backward motion will cause the unit to turn on and record for 2 minutes in protected mode (this can’t be deleted unit you format/manually delete).

It powers on in less that one second, whether it would catch someone would depend on their speed of course but general carpark/main road use its perfect.

You could leave it on and permanently recording if your car is left in an area where cars reach speed.

Back