HELP::::Vico WF-1 Firmware Upgrade

shoootr

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
Vico WF-1
Have a new WF-1 on the way, trying to find info on how to upgrade firmware. It's my first cam and I don't want to make it a BRICK.........I can't find specific steps to upgrade.....

Step 1 ????
Step 2 ???"
Step 3 ?????

Any help greatly appreciated, please help a OLD GUY OUT........................

1. Go to http://www.vicovation.com/catalog.asp?keyid=3&lang=en and download the 1.51 firmware to your computer.
2. Unzip the folder and copy the wf1.bin file onto your microSD card. You might need an SD adapter to put the microSD card in your computer, depending on the model.
Place the file in the root directory (i.e. not in any folder).
3. Insert your microSD card into the WF1
4. Take your WF1 to your vehicle and power it up there using the supplied power cable.
5. Wait while the system loads and updates (after starting your vehicle, the voice will announce "system updating".
6. The WF1 will automatically switch to record mode after the update and erase the wf1.bin file. It will also announce "record mode started".
7. Open your VicoViewer software on your smartphone and format your microSD card from the System Settings tab. This is recommended, but probably optional.
8. After that, you can play with all the settings in the VicoViewer software, adjust your viewing angle, etc.

Cheers

1. Go to http://www.vicovation.com/catalog.asp?keyid=3&lang=en and download the 1.51 firmware to your computer.
2. Unzip the folder and copy the wf1.bin file onto your microSD card. You might need an SD adapter to put the microSD card in your computer, depending on the model.
Place the file in the root directory (i.e. not in any folder).
3. Insert your microSD card into the WF1
4. Take your WF1 to your vehicle and power it up there using the supplied power cable.
5. Wait while the system loads and updates (after starting your vehicle, the voice will announce "system updating".
6. The WF1 will automatically switch to record mode after the update and erase the wf1.bin file. It will also announce "record mode started".
7. Open your VicoViewer software on your smartphone and format your microSD card from the System Settings tab. This is recommended, but probably optional.
8. After that, you can play with all the settings in the VicoViewer software, adjust your viewing angle, etc.

Cheers

Tofurkey, if I have a new card,do I format it in computer (Fat32) and copy new FW to card
What is root directory?

Thanks for reply

Tofurkey, if I have a new card,do I format it in computer (Fat32) and copy new FW to card
What is root directory?

Thanks for reply

The root directory is the top level directory. If you stick it in your PC and an empty window comes up at the top it says like G: then that is your root.

Formatting the card in the computer should not hurt anything. Formating it in the camera is a sure fire way to make sure it is correctly set up for the camera you are using as different cameras use different folder systems.

(WF1 has two folders Locked recordings and regular, the G1W has a folder for regular a folder for locked and makes a new regular and locked folder every time you turn the camera on i believe.)

Here is the root
5bz4p5.png

This card used to be in a DVR-027
So it is set as
Root(NO_NAME (G : )>DVR>2013>08>04>Video Files on that month day and year

a card used in a Vico brand camera would be like this but set as

Root>100EMERG>EMG_001.mov(For videos locked with the WF1 Emergency Recording button press)
Root>100MOV>VICO0043.mov (For videos in the loop recording that will be erased when full)

Your new card would be empty though of course because you just bought it.

When my new microSD card arrived from Amazon, all I did was put it in my computer. It comes already formatted from the manufacturer, so no need to format in your computer when it is new.

Then just copy the wf1.bin file from your computer and place it on the drive containing your microSD card. There will be no other files/directories on your brand new card, so this will be the only file on your card. It is only when another new firmware is released and you put it on your used microSD card that you have to ensure it is not in any subfolders on the card.

After you have run your camera, the WF1 creates a folder called DCIM, and then under the DCIM folder, it creastes two subfolders, one for emergency files and one for regular files. This is where you will find the .mp4 files which are the three-minute recordings. You will also find .thm files, which are mini-clips of each 3 minute segment.

the WF1 creates a folder called DCIM, and then under the DCIM folder, it creastes two subfolders, one for emergency files and one for regular files.
I thought i forgot something. I don't have my WF1 card with me, tofurkey is correct it's

Root>DCIM>100EMERG>EMG_001.mov
>100MOV>VICO0043.mov

Last edited by a moderator:
When my new microSD card arrived from Amazon, all I did was put it in my computer. It comes already formatted from the manufacturer, so no need to format in your computer when it is new.

Then just copy the wf1.bin file from your computer and place it on the drive containing your microSD card. There will be no other files/directories on your brand new card, so this will be the only file on your card. It is only when another new firmware is released and you put it on your used microSD card that you have to ensure it is not in any subfolders on the card.

After you have run your camera, the WF1 creates a folder called DCIM, and then under the DCIM folder, it creastes two subfolders, one for emergency files and one for regular files. This is where you will find the .mp4 files which are the three-minute recordings. You will also find .thm files, which are mini-clips of each 3 minute segment.

Very informative Thanks........

So if a new FW comes out say 1.61,then save mp4 to computer,then format in camera, will format remove old FW bin?

I'm sorry,just don't want to screw up.........Again Thanks

After updating the firmware, the WF1 automatically deletes the firmware file (.bin) from your card, even before formatting the card in the camera. You don't have to worry about that. So in your case, you will download 1.51 FW (current), update your camera and the camera will automatically delete the FW from your card. Otherwise, it would update the camera every time you powered up.

You are right, say next FW is 1.61. You can save any .mp4 files from your card that you want, load the FW onto the card, power up in the car and you will update the system and the new FW will be deleted from the card. Of course, if you don't go on to format in the camera, your existing .mp4 files will be safe.

The only reason they recommend formatting the card is to regularly wipe the card clean to ensure maximum storage efficiency and data transfer. They recommend doing an in-camera format of the card every month.

Don't worry, you won't screw it up!

I thought i forgot something. I don't have my WF1 card with me, tofurkey is correct it's

Root>DCIM>100EMERG>EMG_001.mov
>100MOV>VICO0043.mov
The files are actually .mp4, not .mov. And the two subfolders are "100EMERG" and "100MEDIA"
But otherwise, you are correct.;)

The files are actually .mp4, not .mov. And the two subfolders are "100EMERG" and "100MEDIA"

Tofurkey, Thank you so much for your HELP.......really appreciated......Thanks :)

Must be loosing my mind. Thanks for pointing that out. I wouldn't want to confuse anyone.

My WF1 (which I got last week) came with firmware version 1.41 (two versions old) so, out of an abundance of caution (and I couldn't find this addressed in the instructions) I updated sequentially to version 1.47 then 1.51. I suspected this wasn't necessary, but just wasn't sure, and wanted to play it safe. I note that, even though the WF1 deletes the .bin file from the card after updating, VicoVation recommends you format the card after updating - the first time I updated, I omitted this step, and got a memory card error message; the second time, I formatted the card (in the WF1) after updating, and all is well. Might have been just a coincidence, but can't hurt.

I note that, even though the WF1 deletes the .bin file from the card after updating, VicoVation recommends you format the card after updating - the first time I updated, I omitted this step, and got a memory card error message; the second time, I formatted the card (in the WF1) after updating, and all is well. Might have been just a coincidence, but can't hurt.
Do you happen to remember roughly how long that took. I've tried to do formats in the camera and i let it go for a few mins and nothing would happen. My TF2 only takes seconds.

Do you happen to remember roughly how long that took. I've tried to do formats in the camera and i let it go for a few mins and nothing would happen. My TF2 only takes seconds.
Yes, seconds - in fact, I have formatted the card several times already in the WF1, after each time I have changed the settings - for no particular reason other than I happen to be connected - and each time it has not taken more than 10 seconds or so to format, reboot and start recording again.

Just checked this morning (a very cold morning) and with 17 videos (about 3.75GB) on the card, from the moment I hit 'Confirm' to format the card it took 13 seconds for the WF1 to format the card, load, and start recording again.

On that point (and I realize I might be getting off topic here), how do others manage their cams in extreme temperatures? I had been removing it from the car when it would hit -30°C (about -22°F) at night here during a recent cold snap, but I left it in last night at -16°C (about 3°F). The WF1 claims a storage range from -20°C to 85°C, and an operating range from 0°C to 75°C, so I let the car warm up a bit before plugging in the cam, and everything seemed to work fine (haven't checked the video yet though).

^ Started a new thread for that discussion... good topic. See this thread.

Thanks again Tofurkey, got my WF-1 Saturday and installed today. Mine had 1.41 and like JayTee I installed 1.47 then 1.51. Wasn't sure if you can skip udates,so everything is good to go..............Thanks everyone for all the info...........:):):)

Thanks again Tofurkey, got my WF-1 Saturday and installed today. Mine had 1.41 and like JayTee I installed 1.47 then 1.51. Wasn't sure if you can skip udates,so everything is good to go..............Thanks everyone for all the info...........:):):)
You probably don't, but like you I wasn't sure, and wanted to play it safe. Glad everything is good to go, I think you will like the WF1! Mind if I ask where you ordered from and how much? Did you format the card in the camera after updating? Any issues connecting to your phone?

Back