Help with dash cam hard wired turns off after a few minutes - Toyota CHR Hybrid 2021

WhoWhatWhyUserName

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi guys,
I am after some help with hard wiring into a 2021 Hybrid Toyota CHR.
I have connected to interior fuse via B+ (spare fuse slot) and ACC (power terminal outlet) - both fuses confirmed with a circuit tester but after the car is turned off, the smartbox turns off after 3 minutes and then shuts down the dash cam. I even tried the fuses in the engine bay with the same issue.
It is a Mio/Navman smartbox wiring kit and dash cam.
I've bench tested the kit and dash cam and it is able to stay in parking mode for more than 30 minutes during bench testing, ruling out any possible fault with them.
Do the new Toyota's shut off any non standard accessory power after a certain time ? the B+ remains constant even after the dash cam is turned off.

Any suggestions what is causing it to shut off?

Thanks

You need to find a fuse that does not power down over time.. try the brake... or the one supplying the emergency flashers.

You need to find a fuse that does not power down over time.. try the brake... or the one supplying the emergency flashers.
I tested the fuse after the car and wiring kit was turned off, and it still provided power.

You sometimes have a scenario where some extra circuits will power down when you double lock a car.

Some manufacturers, like Honda, have a facility to single lock a car, designed for temporary locking with someone inside for example, or double lock that prevents doors opening from the inside.

Do you have double locking ?

I tested the fuse after the car and wiring kit was turned off, and it still provided power.
Can you check for power at the camera terminal? Does your bench test duplicate the same wiring setup as the actual installation? With my Blackvue for example there is logic (??) to switch power from the ACC to full time battery, but if the battery is not connected and the settings of the camera expect it to be (as in use parking mode) my BlackVue will not even turn on. Turning off the setting for parking mode the camera works, powered while on ACC. It's confusing.

Can you check for power at the camera terminal? Does your bench test duplicate the same wiring setup as the actual installation? With my Blackvue for example there is logic (??) to switch power from the ACC to full time battery, but if the battery is not connected and the settings of the camera expect it to be (as in use parking mode) my BlackVue will not even turn on. Turning off the setting for parking mode the camera works, powered while on ACC. It's confusing.
I cannot check for power at the terminal.
Bench test is just a DC power supply, I connected B+/ACC to +ve, black to -ve, set to 13V.
The dash cam I have will automatically enter parking mode when stationary for approx 5minutes, it is not ACC triggered like the Blackvue.

You sometimes have a scenario where some extra circuits will power down when you double lock a car.

Some manufacturers, like Honda, have a facility to single lock a car, designed for temporary locking with someone inside for example, or double lock that prevents doors opening from the inside.

Do you have double locking ?
I believe it is single locking, press lock once and it will lock the doors.

Issue resolved, unlucky for me had 2 wiring kits faulty and 3rd one was a charm and running fine.

Back