Help with dashcam fault

karlfoxman

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Been watching and browsing this forum for a few days now and require some help if possible.

Bought a Nextbase 402g from ebay as faulty, fault is it will not boot up correctly. It sometimes takes a while to boot when SD card is inserted, when it does boot up it goes to the select language screen. Can scroll up and down but as soon as hit OK the unit will freeze up. Works fine in mass storage via the PC, will not work as webcam though. USB tracing shows activity on the USB to and from the device but no video output. Almost as if firmware is wrong or the hardware is faulty.

So we have tried to load new firmware, no success.
Tried two SD cards, one being proven to work in the exact same model dashcam.

Decided to open it up and found inside the CPU marked A8S711, this is a TioTech CPU, not many hits on much info on this. I was under the impression that Novatek CPU were inside the Nextbase units? Is a Novatek NT96650 in fact also known as an A8S711 CPU? The silkscreen on the PCB is marked as LS430 and some searches found this to be for a DOD LS430W.

So apart from reflowing and possible reball of the BGA chips and checking out some of the SPI communications to and from the CPU using the scope am I correct that the firmware for a Nextbase 402g and a LS430W are the same or not?

I have emailed DOD about this and I hope to get some firmware from them, if I do I will upload to my google drive as it seems very hard to get hold of.

Some photos attached
IMG-20151109-WA0009_resized.jpg

IMG-20151109-WA0004_resized.jpg

IMG-20151109-WA0003_resized.jpg

Thanks in advance for any help.

Last edited:
Thanks for clearing that up, I did assume that was the case. If I find out whats causing this issue I will post the fix to help others in same situation as I am in. I feel a reflow of the BGA ic's will be worth while and I will not loose anything from trying. Thanks.

Back