Help with GPS wiring??

justin h

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello good people. I have the Lukas 7900ARA with GPS. I accidentally pulled the wires out of the GPS antenna. I opened up the unit (very easy just 4 screws underneath the sticker) to reattached the wires. They just slipped out of the plug. On the plug there are 4 slots but only 3 wires, a red, white, and black wire. Can anyone tell me the order of these wires? Please?

Post a clear pic of the module and we can figure it out.
Red is +3.3V, White is DATA, Black is GND

Here ya go!!!

Attachments

• P1050732.jpg
    P1050732.jpg
    171.9 KB · Views: 16
  • P1050727.jpg
    P1050727.jpg
    142 KB · Views: 16
  • P1050731.jpg
    P1050731.jpg
    161.2 KB · Views: 17
My LK-7900 uses all black wires to the GPS module.From your pics, looks close to a Crius CN-06 but not a total match.
I'm sure of the two most important wires, but the data line you might have to try either spot. It won't damage anything moving the white wire.

Pin 1 (triangle) +V power [Red]
Pin 2 TX data ? white?
Pin 3 RX data ?
Pin 4 Ground [black]

Notice the tiny NiMh battery. Let us know how it turns out.

notice some complaints about Lukas GPS not working well but see from the pics they're using 6 series U-Blox chipset, these work quite well so perhaps there's something else at play

I took mine apart and found a wire-mesh shield, so I think RF interference from the camera's CPU is making the GPS signal weak. Too bad, it's a great chipset that should do much better.

My LK-7900 uses all black wires to the GPS module.From your pics, looks close to a Crius CN-06 but not a total match.
I'm sure of the two most important wires, but the data line you might have to try either spot. It won't damage anything moving the white wire.

Pin 1 (triangle) +V power [Red]
Pin 2 TX data ? white?
Pin 3 RX data ?
Pin 4 Ground [black]

Notice the tiny NiMh battery. Let us know how it turns out.

Well, funny, as I had tried everything except the last combo. I tried them all now and it still does not work. I know the connecter looks a little torn up but the wires are making a perfectly solid connection. I did not place the unit back in the case to test this. I also did not place it on top of the square metal thing posted here. Does that affect anything?

Attachments

• P1050735.JPG
    P1050735.JPG
    174 KB · Views: 12
  • P1050738.JPG
    P1050738.JPG
    138 KB · Views: 9
  • P1050737.JPG
    P1050737.JPG
    179.1 KB · Views: 11
It looks okay, but the white and red collars might be touching. I would use a bit of tape and put the metal shield back on too.

The patch antenna has to be pointing up to the sky, for at least 1 minute before GPS data comes in, after a cold-start.
How are you testing things? Are you looking for time/date set or a speed value etc.

I would think one of these combos would work:
B, skip, W, R
B, W, skip, R

Okay I'll give the tape a try and test it with the whole thing put back together. I'm testing it by driving to work with the unit on the dash. On the way home, I flip it over because I could not remember which side went up. So there's at least 20 minutes of testing on each side, each time I make a change. Then, I pull up the lukas viewer and click on a video in the right-side pane that has a GPS map on it. Every time I do that it still shows a default map that does not move from Japan.

YAY! Problem solved! The correct order was B, W, skip, R. I had tried that before and it did not work. However, I think not having the heat shield is what the problem was. I did not realize that it actually seats into the board. I think it might complete a circuit when it is installed. Either way, I got it working. Thanks for the assistance.

Back