Helping a guy back into your own vehicle

flank

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
VIOFO A119S
White van had just pulled into that spot, driver comes out and helps delivery truck back out. They were both pissed at each other and started to blame one another. I had a card reader for my iPhone and let them both watch the clip on the spot. Both still blamed the other.

I took phone numbers and send the clip. Thats the extent of my involvement.

The van didn't hit anything on the side the 'helper' was standing on. That part worked.

Update:

The larger truck guy sent a message back thanking for the video. He said they both walked away even Steven, nothing filed.

The guy helping with the van, was not licensed. They tried to do a switcheroo with the drivers but the other guy saw that and my video at the scene helped. The white van did have a dent on the side of the rear. It did not matter who was driving the vehicle though, it was parked.

Larger van guy did say in a message that he got lucky as he saw it was his fault.

Larger van guy did say in a message that he got lucky as he saw it was his fault.
Yes I would say he was lucky. When I was driving straight trucks regularly, knowing where the back end was going to swing around became second nature. Some of the rules we were taught were never trust a stranger as a spotter, only trust a designated spotter to a point, and the driver is ultimately responsible.

Double idiots.

And never rely on a spotter you don't already trust.

How do you know to trust a spotter? Show them the crowbar you are going to use on their head if they let you back into anything. It's always worked very well for me :cool:

I do much better moving forward, so if the situation allows I try to reverse into spaces that are large enough so that if anything changes while I'm parked I'll have an easier time getting out.

Phil

Back